Give me a kiss!

Zola 11-12-2003 02:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
Yes, I did. It was well-conceived, consistent, and plausible. I just couldn't stop thinking, "Timothy Wayneright, you are a dirty old man."

(Though if he'd left the naughty bits out, I would have thought, "TImothy Wayneright, you are a disgusting old prude." There's just no pleasing some people.)

Thank you. Smile

Actually Falcon7 and I were talking about that and he said that the idea of building something that was supposed to be his daugher and including (to borrow your phrase) naughty bits was creepy. I said no, if I was going to build my own CHILD, I would make her or him as complete as possible as I would not want to deny any child of mine the full range of human experience.

So I guess it's how you look at it. To me it seems perfectly natural.

EDIT: Just a second, last minute thought. We perform all sorts of personal chores for our infants without anyone getting embarassed about it or thinking it's dirty...so I would suspect that building that stuff on an android would fall under the same kind of category.
Wingnut 11-12-2003 02:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jr.

The strongest evidence is at the end, when the whole thing hits the fan, he doesn't run up and hug Dorothy or say anything mushy or anything stupid, he stands defiantly against the Anal Retentive Big Venus. He doesn't even turn around and face her, he just stares at death. Roger is one STONE COLD MFer. I think once this is taken into account, it's clear Roger had no intention of kissing Dorothy.
Given the situation Roger had far more important things to worry about than his love life at that moment. Like saveing the world as he knew it so that he could even have the possibility of a love life at all.
JAYCZero 11-12-2003 03:46 PM
You know what Wingnut !! Hell Yeah I agree with your Philosophy !! And Roger ain't no Stonecold ! He does have Feeling for Dorothy ! and is in love with her , he even said it on Act 25 or was it 24 ? anyways the point is that he has Admit it ! and by the way Jr , Wingnut is Right how in the Hell could he have thought about Dorothy at the Moment if the Whole City of Paradigm was being Erased at the Hand os the other Megadeus piloting by Angel ? But however about that Japanese Tradition about that there is no kissing or whatever that Notion was , That's just a bunch of Nonsense . I mean there is always a kissing scene on Anime Series . And also think of this what about the Series of Outlaw Star wich some of you have hear , Melfina was an Artificial Being or Possibly an Android , And Gene Starwine kissed her at the ending of the Saga . But I have a question what is that Picture of Dorothy and Roger making out ,what is that Picture about ,Did that really happend ?? or is it another Fan Art ?
Gummibear 11-12-2003 05:05 PM
Then again if they were making out all the time it would detract from the story reaching it's full emotional climax which would indeed be Roger and Dorothy kissing. You know that special kind of scene where they both reveal their undying passion for eachother, making the ultimate confession of love that leaves you at the end of your seat- ready to have a heart attack- fighting back tears -moment and then topped off with a kiss sealing their bond of love. Maybe that is the moment the creators are straving for. Wink But then again only if we had a third season. *sigh* I'm convinced Roger loves her but he isn't the type of guy who'd just come out and say it he shows love through small romantic gestures.
Lady Tesser 11-12-2003 05:21 PM
JCC - no, it didn't happen. It fooled everyone. Evidently, it was a bit of fanart done in homage to some other anime with the exact same arrangement of characters.

BUT WE OF THE ROGER+DOROTHY=FOREVER FANCLUB KNOW IN OUR HEART OF HEARTS, THEY ARE MEANT TO BE.

<_<

>_>

(Personally, I think Roger's too much of a pansy to admit anything to her face when everything's calmed down. Too much of a Japanese Male-Hero to do anything about it.)
Gummibear 11-12-2003 05:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tesser

BUT WE OF THE ROGER+DOROTHY=FOREVER FANCLUB KNOW IN OUR HEART OF HEARTS, THEY ARE MEANT TO BE.

There's a fanclub?! Big Grin I believe I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Lady Tesser 11-12-2003 05:30 PM
Informal thing - it's what I call all the Rog&Dor 'shippers.
JAYCZero 11-12-2003 05:40 PM
Oh then , thanks Ladytesser, that Fan Art looked like it was done by the original Animators from Big O , what a Talent who ever did that Artwork ! and GummiBear you do have a Fanclub concerning to that ? you lemme know and I'll check it out Smile ! but anyway's Dorothy is also Stupid sorry to say it ,cause if She does like him .and Roger was talking about that CPR mouth to mouth thing as a way of Hitting on her . She could have done it instead of calling him a "Louse" lol . Oh man that would have been the Scene that All Fans of Big O would have been dying for !
Wingnut 11-12-2003 07:45 PM
quote:
JCC - no, it didn't happen. It fooled everyone. Evidently, it was a bit of fanart done in homage to some other anime with the exact same arrangement of characters.

<_<

>_>

(Personally, I think Roger's too much of a pansy to admit anything to her face when everything's calmed down. Too much of a Japanese Male-Hero to do anything about it.)
That and he has a reputation as a louse to maintain. Plus I think it gives him a look of being totally impartial during negotations.
R Trusedale 11-12-2003 07:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jr.
I disagree completely. I think Roger's tone indicates he was more like "Uh, what other easier method would there have been?" Plus, it sounded awkward. CPR via an android? I don't think it was ever shown to be a fact he feels "that way" about Dorothy.

The strongest evidence is at the end, when the whole thing hits the fan, he doesn't run up and hug Dorothy or say anything mushy or anything stupid, he stands defiantly against the Anal Retentive Big Venus. He doesn't even turn around and face her, he just stares at death. Roger is one STONE COLD MFer. I think once this is taken into account, it's clear Roger had no intention of kissing Dorothy.

Lets think about this for a bit. Roger was Negotiating with Big Venus/Angel, the new god of Paradigm. A passionate kiss with her rival would be very bad for business. So Roger put a raincheck on that kiss for the good of Paradigm. Plus he didn't want to wakeup as a literal Paradigm lapdog in the next rewrite... Pleased
Jr. 11-13-2003 12:13 AM
quote:
Originally posted by assemblyline
That is why he won't come out and just say what he feels. He doesn't want to show weakness to anybody. And at the end, well I think anybody will agree that there were more importiant things to do... like negotiate.

Sorry, no dice. Roger had plenty of time to turn around and wink at Dorothy or say something or even ask her to stand next to him or something. He does none of these. The simplest explanation is that he doesn't feel that way about her at all.
I don't think the idea that he was asking for a kiss is really in line with his character.
quote:
If you really feel that there is no potential for romance in this series I am sorry to say that you are missing out on a large aspect of it.

I don't think so. I am willing to bet I like the series more than 98% of the people on these boards. I don't think I've missed out on anything. Also, you should remember Roger denied those accusations each time they were put to him.

Once again, it was the end of the world, the perfect time to "let anything out", yet not even the smallest thing happened. I think there was nothing to "let out".
assemblyline 11-13-2003 12:47 AM
Yes, I'm sure Roger turning around and winking would have flowed so nicely with the plot tension right there.

The point I am trying to make is that you can believe what you want to, including that you are a bigger fan than everybody else (isn't that sweet). Thats why it had a vague ending. I choose to believe that the simplest reason that nothing was said was simply because nothing needed to be said. Their actions the episodes before proved that, if it was not a pure love, it was at least a soulmate connection.

I think that in the begining he didn't have feelings for her, he was truthful in his denial. Later, he just didn't want to accept that maybe he did have feelings for an android. By the time he left Big O and went to save her from Alan and afterwards, there was a noticeable difference in how he talked to her and how he treated her.

And as for your assertion that at the end he could have stopped what he was doing and let it all out, but since he didn't then nothing was there. I still say that proves nothing. Roger is more dedicated to his negotiator job than anybody else in that series. Not to mention that this particular negotiation was the very one he was created for. Seems to me that he didn't feel that the world was going to end. He was negotiating to stop it from happening. More importiant that a wink I think.
Jr. 11-13-2003 01:01 AM
quote:
Yes, I'm sure Roger turning around and winking would have flowed so nicely with the plot tension right there.
In other words, there is no satisfactory explanation of why he didn't do that. Also, you seem to have Roger confused with someone who has no personality.
quote:
The point I am trying to make is that you can believe what you want to, including that you are a bigger fan than everybody else (isn't that sweet).

I never said that. Try to avoid making stuff up. This is my favorite TV show, of all TV shows. How many of you are willing to say that for yourselves? I know this isn't considered the best anime.
quote:
Their actions the episodes before proved that, if it was not a pure love, it was at least a soulmate connection.

But they never did anything. What actions?
quote:
And as for your assertion that at the end he could have stopped what he was doing and let it all out, but since he didn't then nothing was there. I still say that proves nothing.

Big Grin I'm not following this one bit!
assemblyline 11-13-2003 02:40 AM
OK Chief, let me explain. Here comes Venus turning the entire city into a big computer style grid, and wiping everything out in her path. Roger knows the director is in control of it. He somehow realizes that the director and Angel are now one in the same. He also knows that the task he was created for is at hand. And that if he fails the world will likely be wiped out. The series is at it's climax. The suspense and tension is at it's highest point. All of the sudden, Roger gives up on his duties and turns around to knowingly wink at Dorothy and pursue a love interest...

Imagine the sound of a needle being ripped off of a playing record. Thats about the same effect that those particular actions would have on the flow of the plot. It just wouldn't work in that scene. That in no way means that there is no connection between them. I don't know how to make a simpler explanation than that.

As for their actions. I don't think Roger left Big O in the middle of a fight to save Dorothy simply because she was a good housekeeper. I also don't believe that it was simply to live up to the contract. And Rogers expressions when She had her memory core removed didn't look the reactions of a man who felt nothing. I also find it revealing that when Roger was on the brink of death, Dorothy regains self awareness and the first thing she says is Roger. That shouldn't have happened since they have no connection. And you have to be blind to sit here and say that there was no difference in their interactions after Roger saved her from Alan. I think that was a turning point.

You say that this is your favorite show. Then you of all people should realize that the ending was open to interpretation. I believe that they had a connection (romantic, spiritual, whatever). You obviously don't. Maybe the writers should add something more to the series to clarify it. But you're posting in a thread entitled "Give me a Kiss" do you really think you will change anybody's mind in here.

I would love to keep arguing with you about this but neither of us has said anything shockingly new in the last few posts so I don't really know what it would accomplish. I love the series, you love the series, lets move on.
R and D 11-13-2003 05:00 AM
quote:
Mr. ? - I like how you think. If you're gonna get erased, go out doing a good memory!

Sadly, I think he was being mind-on-the-moment and not reaching out. However, I still want to believe this happened -

Tesser why didja have to show that pic?! Crying ahh damn those producers! Crying WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Crying
Gummibear 11-13-2003 03:38 PM
quote:
OK Chief, let me explain. Here comes Venus turning the entire city into a big computer style grid, and wiping everything out in her path. Roger knows the director is in control of it. He somehow realizes that the director and Angel are now one in the same. He also knows that the task he was created for is at hand. And that if he fails the world will likely be wiped out. The series is at it's climax. The suspense and tension is at it's highest point. All of the sudden, Roger gives up on his duties and turns around to knowingly wink at Dorothy and pursue a love interest...

Imagine the sound of a needle being ripped off of a playing record. Thats about the same effect that those particular actions would have on the flow of the plot. It just wouldn't work in that scene. That in no way means that there is no connection between them. I don't know how to make a simpler explanation than that.

As for their actions. I don't think Roger left Big O in the middle of a fight to save Dorothy simply because she was a good housekeeper. I also don't believe that it was simply to live up to the contract. And Rogers expressions when She had her memory core removed didn't look the reactions of a man who felt nothing. I also find it revealing that when Roger was on the brink of death, Dorothy regains self awareness and the first thing she says is Roger. That shouldn't have happened since they have no connection. And you have to be blind to sit here and say that there was no difference in their interactions after Roger saved her from Alan. I think that was a turning point.

You say that this is your favorite show. Then you of all people should realize that the ending was open to interpretation. I believe that they had a connection (romantic, spiritual, whatever).

Welcome to the forums! Smile You are very eloquent in the way you describe Roger and Dorothy's relationship a very observant person. I tend to agree with you on the points of Roger and Dorothy. Roger and Dorothy have a connection and bond that goes beyond all. Roger treats her more like an equal each day especailly with his little mouth to mouth comment(sry) he is viewing her more as a human rather than an andriod. Wink Interesting
Rouge 11-13-2003 08:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jr.
Also, you should remember Roger denied those accusations each time they were put to him.

He said it was "preposterous" he avoided her answers but he NEVER denied. The only person he denied was Angel.

But still I think there is something between Roger and Dorothy I mean heck even Angel, Beck and Alan noticed it! And at least Alan and Beck's teasing Roger about it or Angel walloping about it, is not just because. Seriously I think the creators did put that for a reason.

Roger & Dorothy all the way, and if there is a chance for Season 3 I am sure something major between the two will happen.

Oh and that "If you were a human, we would have fallen in love" thing may have indicated that he at least has some kind of feelings for her
Executor 11-14-2003 02:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by YZEtc
Mine, too.
That has always been one of my favorite sci-fi themes.

And Roger's not alone.
Another example is Deckard and Rachael from the movie The Blade Runner.

Ah, Blade Runner... For having tanked at the box office, it certainly did prove to be influential.
Malkhos 11-14-2003 12:01 PM
quote:
[i] Instead we get no kiss, no resolution to the love situation, and no answers about anything. Or at least no answers that make sense.

Do the writers of Big O have some pathological fear of, you know, actually resolving a plot thread? Bah!

What didn't make sense to you? What wasn't resolved?
Nine Kuze 09-06-2006 07:45 PM
*Brushes this thread's shoulders off*

Like many of you, I'm a Roger(LUBS)Dorothy fan. But I have to be the only one who doesn't want to see them kiss. I don't know, to me, it would kind of take away the "magic" those two have with each other. To see them in an actual relationship kind of ruins that for me. No offense to anyone but I can't stand the fan fics with Roger and Dorothy as a "legit" couple. But that's just me.

Don't get me wrong. Roger should have gone after her a damn long time ago. But I just don't want to actually see them take their relationship any further. I like how it is now.

Also, I guess I can thank InuYasha for that as well.
Peace.