I need your help -- best animes

A. Rosewater 11-07-2003 10:56 AM
I am in the market to buy some new anime series on DVD....please share your favorite series with me and let me know how many episodes there are and maybe a brief spoiler free description of the series

thanks if you can help!
The Baker St. Irregular 11-07-2003 11:29 AM
Three words... Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Almasy 11-07-2003 12:29 PM
1. Cowboy Bebop (26 episodes)
(Description: Action, Drama, Comedy, Sci-Fi - excellent anime)
--Spike and Jet are two bounty hunters who travel from planet to planet on their ship, The Bebop. They pick up some friends along the way, and also run into some old enemies from their pasts on their epic adventures throughout the galaxy--
[note, this description does not nearly begin to describe the series and does not do it justice]
2. Neon Genesis Evangelion (26 episodes)
(Description: Drama, Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi, Religion - very strange but excellent - not for everyone)
--Shinji, a young boy, is chosen by a top secret organization to be the pilot an Evangelion, a weapon used to defend the earth from Angels, beings that attack the Earth--
[note, this description does not nearly begin to describe the series and does not do it justice]
3. The End of Evangelion (movie)
(Description: Drama, Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi, Religion - very strange but excellent - not for everyone)
--Shinji, a young boy, is chosen by a top secret organization to be the pilot an Evangelion, a weapon used to defend the earth from Angels, beings that attack the Earth--
4. Gundam Wing (49 episodes)
(Description: Drama, Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi, Political - excellent anime - VERY character driven)
--5 Pilots are sent to Earth in Gundams from different Outer Space Colonies to fight against numerous political organizations. The show follows each of these very unique pilots in their own stories, which soon all begin to link together--
5. Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (movie)
(Description: Drama, Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi, Political - excellent anime - VERY character driven)
--5 Pilots are sent to Earth in Gundams from different Outer Space Colonies to fight against numerous political organizations. The show follows each of these very unique pilots in their own stories, which soon all begin to link together--
6. THE BIG O (13 episodes)
(Description: Wink )
7. Blue Submarine No. 6 (movie - broken into 4 episodes)
(Description: Action, Drama, Underwater, Sci-Fi, Post-Appocolyptic, Mutants vs. Humans - very good movie)
A 'mad scientist' has melted the polar icecaps, causing the Earth to be completely and utterly flooded in order to serve as a new environment for a completely new species of what can only be described as mutants. Humans must either adapt to their surroundings and fight against the mutant race that lurks beneath the surface, or be destroyed--
8. BIG O II (13 episodes) - coming soon
(Description: Wink )
Pygmalion 11-07-2003 12:36 PM
See my thread on Future Boy Conan, below. 26 episodes available on DVD in Japanese with English & Chinese subtitles.

Pygmalion
Manji 11-07-2003 01:34 PM
-Cowboy Bebop (Series, 26 ep.)
-Outlaw Star (Series, 26 ep.)
-Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heavens Door (Movie)
-Ghost in the Shell (Movie)
-Fooly Cooly (Series, 6 ep.)
-Initial D (Series, ep. unkown)
-Hellsing (Series, 13 ep.)
-Blue Subamrine 6 (Miniseries/ Movie)
-Jin-Roh (Movie)
-Akira (Movie)
-Gundam: 8th MS Team (Series, 11 ep.)
-Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (Movie)
-Trigun (Series, 26 ep.)

Those are my favs, I recommend those as first choices Big Grin
Mike 11-07-2003 01:36 PM
Mobile Suit Gundam 43 episodes - The original one from 1979. The animation may be dated but the story is top-notch.
Earth is surrounded by space colonies. The farthest one, calling itself Zeon, declares war on the earth, attacking with giant robots called Mobile Suits. The Earth Federation readies their own mobile suit, the Gundam piloted by Amury Ray, to fight back.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team 12 episodes, Cartoon Network never played the last one. - A side-story to the original story, made in 1996.
The war against Zeon rages in the jungles of Southeastern Asia, where mass-produced Gundams are trying to find a Zeon base hiding a new secret weapon.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket OVA, 6 episodes -
The war is far away from the colony of Libot, until a small Zeon force attacks, and uncovers a new prototype Gundam even more powerful than the first.
Incredibly character-driven, with very little combat, particularly for a Gundam show. You WILL cry when it's over.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counter-Attack movie- Char Aznable, the villain in the original Gundam series, tries to force all of humanity into space by hurling asteroids at the earth, and only Amuro Ray can stop his Neo-Zeon army. Lots of massive destruction.

Outlaw Star 26 episodes - Humans have reached out towards space. Gene Starwind, a gun for hire suddenly is thrown into the world of space pirates and ancient secrets when he and the pirate Hilda discover a ship and a mysterious bio-android girl.

FLCL (Furi Kuri or Fooly Cooly) - 6 episode OVA. The best anime EVER (in my opinion). Words can't describe it. Just go see it.

Trigun 26 episodes - People live a hard life on a desert planet, western-style. A legendary gunman known as Vash the Stampede terrorizes the world, destroying entire cities. But nobody knows if the rumors are true.
StevieV019 11-07-2003 02:15 PM
Cowboy Bebop
The Big O
Initial D (it has 26 episodes, as well as 3 movies, I believe)
Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X
Gundam Wing (the series and their movie "Endless Waltz")
Gundam 0080:War in the Pocket
Gundam 0083:Stardust Memory
Outlaw Star
Noir
X:TV series
Spirited Away (movie)
Akira (movie)
Byranx 11-07-2003 02:46 PM
I would also have to say Neon Genesis Evangelion too...although it can be one of those series that you either love it or hate it. Personally I loved it...the metaphors and religious undertone really caught my interest...and basically just how closely it can connect to my own life through Shinji's character.
Schwarzwald 11-07-2003 03:02 PM
Big O Pleased
Lodoss War
Excel saga
Crest of the stars
Silent Mobius
Berserker
The Baker St. Irregular 11-07-2003 04:27 PM
Oh, yes! Excel Saga! XD Har-har-har. One you must not miss. Not even for a puchuu.
A Clockwork Tomato 11-07-2003 04:51 PM
The original Fleischer SUPERMAN series from the early Forties. One could argue that this was THE original anime. Many of them are superb; all of them are fun.

They're in Technicolor, so the colors are still good -- or at least they are if you find a version made from a good print.

And there's something about gangsters in sharp-looking suits and fedoras shooting tommy guns at Superman!

Lois Lane is a hoot, too.
A. Rosewater 11-07-2003 05:14 PM
wow...thank you everyone

i have:

Bebop (all 26 and the movie)

trigun (all 26)

Hellsing (all 13)

Gundam Wing Endless Waltz

I think im going to look into Neon Genesis Evangelion

thank you good people of paradigm
Byranx 11-07-2003 06:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A. Rosewater
wow...thank you everyone

i have:

Bebop (all 26 and the movie)

trigun (all 26)

Hellsing (all 13)

Gundam Wing Endless Waltz

I think im going to look into Neon Genesis Evangelion

thank you good people of paradigm

A good choice....here's some advice...

Do not judge it by its first few episodes...it gets more deep and personal as the series goes on
Sixfortyfive 11-07-2003 07:27 PM
I just rented volumes 2-5 of Eva plus End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth... I'd recommend this series only to those who could perfectly handle Big-O's ending, as Eva's has a significantly greater WTF factor. I'm still trying to decide whether I like it or not, but it was good enough to hold my interest. It's worth at least one viewing, and I plan on renting the rest when I get the chance.
Zerokun 11-07-2003 09:19 PM
Allow me to make a few suggestions:

Bubblegum Crisis: This was the show that made me an anime fan. True, the artwork and animation may seem a bit dated, but its breakneck pace, endearing cast, and rock-your-socks-off music still earn BGC a place in anime history. Plus, like Big O, there's no small amount of mystery and speculation as to certain aspects of the series(but that's just due to woes behind the scenes... sad, really.)

Gatchaman: You may know it better as Battle of the Planets. But by any name, this is a classic example of old-school anime goodness.

FLCL: Nuff said!

That's about all I can think off for now. -.-
Gummibear 11-07-2003 09:25 PM
My top five( and a few more)! Big Grin

1. THE BIG O
2. COWBOY BEBOP
3. ANDROID KIKIADER: THE ANIMATION
4. TRIGUN
5. FLCL( I finally caught the all six episodes and very interesting innovative anime if a little confusing.)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
Honorable mention-
DBZ- please don't laugh good anime is good anime.
WITCH HUNTER ROBIN
INYASHA- I'm not crazy about this anime but I did watch it.
Ryoma 11-07-2003 10:37 PM
Now and Then, Here and There: A 2001 13-episode tragedy-of-war story involving child soldiers. Don't let the first episode fool you; this is hard core tragedy courtesy of Akitaroh Daichi.

The Vision of Escaflowne: Shoji Kawamori's long-delayed 26-episode saga about teen angst/love, fate & war. Set in a medieval setting with giant robots as giant suits of armor, it features Yoko Kanno's music, Maaya Sakamoto's voice & Sunrise's best budget of a 1996 TV series.

Boogiepop Phantom: 13-episode TV series that puts Lain down in confusing blabber & social commetaries. Weird stuff's happening in a city & it involves the being known as Boogiepop. Confusing story-telling method & the camera lens this show was shot in makes it eerily pimp.

s.CRY.ed: Goro Taniguchi's 26-episode TV series about super-powered beings known as Alter Users. Story's not its forte, but it's got nice action scenes & Straight Cougar. Plus the final fight between Kazuma & Ryuhou is worth the ticket price.

Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: The 36-episode 1985 classic edited up for Robotech. 'Nuff said.

Voices of a Distant Star: Home-made 25 minute short about the long distance relationship between 2 lovers in outer space. Very well done piece that got Makoto Shinkai much praise for his protrayal of enduring love.

Others I like include Berserk, Shin Getter Robo, Haibane-Renmei, Mobile Fighter G Gundam, Gunbuster, Hellsing & any movie by Hayao Miyazaki.
Vathios 11-07-2003 11:06 PM
Well currently Trigun is my favorite anime. You also can't go wrong with Cowboy Bebop, Neon Genesis Evangelion or Lain.

I also saw an episode of FLCL a couple days ago, it was very good even though I didn't know what I was watching at the time. I'm gonna have to check out that series

EDIT - Yes the old Superman is good stuff. I loved watching that.
Name Of God 11-07-2003 11:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A Clockwork Tomato
The original Fleischer SUPERMAN series from the early Forties. One could argue that this was THE original anime. Many of them are superb; all of them are fun.

They're in Technicolor, so the colors are still good -- or at least they are if you find a version made from a good print.

And there's something about gangsters in sharp-looking suits and fedoras shooting tommy guns at Superman!

Lois Lane is a hoot, too.

YES. Get this, it is very excellent!

Not really anime, however.
Mega Dominus 11-08-2003 12:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Schwarzwald
Berserker

Should be Berserk, but if your parents or you are touchy-feely about gore, nudity, and violence, stay away until you're older. Shocked

Most of all the good action stuff is here, so I won't bother listing them again. Look for Rurouni Kenshin if you want samurai action and comedy.

Also, get Witch Hunter Robin that's coming out (maybe out already). Excellent show with a gothic supernatural feel to it.

Now if like shoujo, romance comedy, sweet stuff, here's a couple that might have you in tears...emotionally or laughing your heels over:

Onegai Teacher (Please Teacher over in the USA): Um...hot teacher with a secret and her relationship with a student of hers.

Card Captor Sakura (Kawaii... Anime Smile ): OK, shoujo that actually got me into liking some shoujo stuff. About cards and stuff, look around for more info. By CLAMP.

Love Hina (Harem style like Tenchi Muyo!, but much better IMHO): Better plot, great character development, and read the manga!

Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou (His and Her Circumstances in USA): High school romance relationship that's great for all to live and learn.

Hope this helps! Big Grin