[Fan Fiction] ACT 27: LIFE GOES ON. Complete! (parts 1-5)

angelcakes 11-07-2003 02:10 PM
Shocked That...was... INCREDIBLE!!!! You're a literary genuis Clockwork Tomato. And I agree Lady Tesser, hopefully they are reading this for season 3 Smile
Shady Dark Lady 11-07-2003 02:59 PM
Shocked ! That was AWESOME!!! I want MORE!! Smile ) By the way, I love your Avatar! Mandy Rocks! This was really like an episode of Big O. Now only if we could get some of our wonderfully talented artists to draw some pictures...hint..hint..hint... Wink
Jim Starluck 11-07-2003 06:32 PM
*bowing repeatedly* We're not worthy! We're not worthy!!

Big Grin
A Clockwork Tomato 11-07-2003 11:26 PM
ACT 27, Part 4

Roger and Dorothy were examining the architect’s sketch – which had been moved to a side table, as it was nearly dinner time – when Norman entered the room.

“Colonel Dastun and Miss Angel have arrived, Master Roger,” he said.

“About time,” said Roger. “Show them in, Norman.”

Norman nodded. “Fifteen minutes until supper time,” he said.

A moment later he showed Dastun and Angel into the room. Angel looked very much the worse for wear. Norman pulled out a chair for her at the dining room table and she sank into it.

Dastun looked uncomfortable. He had his hat in his hands and was turning it around and around. “It’s my fault,” he said. “I kept her too long, and I didn’t notice she was getting tired.” He sighed. “It’s been a strange day.”

“Have a seat,” said Roger.

Dastun waved the offer away. He turned to Dorothy. “I was pleased to learn of your recovery, Miss Wayneright,” he said, awkward but sincere.

“Call me Dorothy, Colonel.”

“It’s Dan.”

“Thank you. Please, sit down.”

Dastun sank into the seat gratefully.

Dorothy turned her steady gaze on Angel, and after a moment said, “I’ll just see Angel to her room.” Angel murmured an agreement. Dorothy helped her to her feet and the two of them went off towards the elevator.

“Drink?” asked Roger. “And we ought to send one down to Angel. I wish I could remember what she drinks.” Norman appeared with a tray. He placed a bottle of beer and a glass before Roger, a scotch on the rocks in front of Dastun, and walked off towards the elevator, two cocktails still on the tray.

“Will they be back?” asked Dastun.

“Norman will let us know.”

Dastun sighed. “What a day. Look, I’m really sorry about Angel. I forgot all about her when that Megadeus appeared, and then when I finally remembered her and started talking to her, she had all kinds of information that we needed right away, and the interview went on and on. She never complained or anything, and suddenly I saw she’d gone all pale. So I brought her home right away. Besides, I need to talk to you.”

“Very gentlemanly of you.”

“Do you really have both those women living under the same roof with you?”

“And if I do?”

“Well, god help you, that’s all I’m saying.”

“Well, if you’re going to heap me with abuse, I suppose that makes this a social occasion. We’ll be having dinner in a few minutes. Stick around.”

“Thanks, I will. But I’ll have to talk business.”

“Not during dinner, you won’t. That’s another one of my rules.”

Norman returned. “The two ladies will be joining us momentarily,” he reported, and withdrew into the kitchen.

“You should have stayed on the force,” said Dastun when Norman had gone. “You get a free funeral. That’s going to be an important benefit for someone like you. Don’t say you weren’t warned. When those two square off, you’re not going to be the prize, you’re gonna be the battlefield.”

“In case you were wondering,” said Roger. “Angel is up for grabs, as far as I’m concerned.”

“You don’t get a vote, pal,” said Dastun. “It’s been nice knowing you.”

A discreet cough made Roger turn around. Norman gestured with his eyes. Male bonding time was over. The ladies were returning.

Angel had changed into a fresh outfit and looked a lot better, though just a little glassy-eyed. Roger realized that the doctor must have left her some painkillers, and that she hadn’t brought any with her on her trip to the Domes. Dorothy looked the same as always, which for some reason meant a lot to him. He suddenly remembered that terrible day when he had almost been killed by R. D., and Big O had suddenly appeared, and there was Dorothy, all fresh and unruffled, one of the few points of sanity in a world gone mad. He smiled at her. She did not smile back, but raised her eyes to look directly into his. Something…complex…passed between them, leaving behind a thrill of pleasure.

He turned to his guests. Angel had missed the exchange, but Dastun had a goofy little smile on his face, and Norman’s expression was suspiciously blank.

Norman withdrew and almost immediately appeared with the soup course. They ate almost in silence. Dorothy’s table manners were perfect. It was hard to believe that there had been a time when he thought her whirring noises and exaggeratedly robotic motions were real, and not an act she did to annoy people or to let them know she was an android without saying anything. She could pass easily for human in most circumstances.

Of course, eating and drinking were just a social convention; she derived no physical benefit from it. It occurred to him that she was dispensing with food more and more when they were alone, and sometimes even when they had company, as this morning when she had commandeered the coffee pot and poured for him and Angel, while consuming nothing herself. But Dastun was less used to her, and she must feel that blending in would help set him at his ease.

The meal went on in relative silence. Recent events had deprived them of small talk.

Eventually, Norman cleared the dessert dishes away and returned with the coffee service, which Dorothy commandeered as she had at breakfast, pouring for everyone but herself. This left Norman without an excuse to remain in the room, but he simply withdrew a pace and remained anyway.

Dastun cleared his throat. “So can I talk business now, Roger?”

“I suppose.”

Dorothy asked, “Shall the ladies withdraw?”

“I’d appreciate it if you’d stay, Dorothy,” replied Dastun. “Angel, I don’t want to keep you if you’re tired.”

“I’ll stay for a little while at least,” said Angel.

“Well, now,” said Dastun, taking a notebook out of his coat pocket and riffling through it until he found a page with a list scribbled on it, “The first thing I want to know is, how did Big O do all that stuff before he even reached you?”

“It’s a secret,” said Roger.

Dastun sighed. “All right, then, let me put it another way. Is Big O doing this on his own, or was Norman or someone piloting him?”

“He was piloted, Dan. But he can’t be piloted by strangers, if that’s what you’re thinking, and his actions are very limited when he’s on his own.”

“All right, then.” He wrote something down in his notebook. “Next question. You wanted me to rescind the execution order for Beck. Okay, that’s done. The execution order was illegal, anyway. But he has most of a long prison sentence still to serve. Do you know where he is?”

“Haven’t a clue,” said Roger truthfully.

“Didn’t think so. Next question. What are we supposed to do with that other Megadeus?”

“Wait a minute,” said Roger, “It’s my turn to ask a question. Who was behind that Megadeus and the snipers?”

“Oh, that’s right, I forgot – we found that out after you left. We took one of the snipers alive. He was a Union agent. So was the Megadeus’ pilot.”

Angel gasped. “But…”

Dastun nodded sympathetically. “I know. You told me. The Union agents are all there is. The folks back home they’re allegedly doing this for don’t even exist. So you say.”

“Gordon Rosewater told me.”

“But he didn’t tell them. I guess they’re still living in a fool’s paradise. Anyway, Roger, what happened is this. They have a talent for finding Megadeuses out in the wastelands and converting them over to remote control, bypassing the core memories and turning them into directly piloted or radio-controlled robots. We’ve seen this before. And they’ve cobbled together some less sophisticated robots of their own. Well, they had another one ready to go. This time, they knew where Big O’s hangar was, so they decided to wait until you were as far from Big O as possible, and they’d attack Big O in his hangar. You’re only a few blocks from the river, so they could get really close if they could stay underwater until they reached the shore. Then a quick dash, catch Big O before he could escape underground, and bingo! No more Megadeus protecting Paradigm.”

“That’s an ugly thought,” said Roger.

“Tell me about it. I’ve got the military engineers working on riverfront defenses that might slow a Megadeus down next time, but nothing’s going to give you the kind of protection that secrecy did.”

“So when do they try next?” asked Roger.

“Well, the guy we caught said that the pilot of the Megadeus was their robotics genius, and that with him dead, they won’t be able to cobble together any more robots. So maybe that particular threat is gone for a while.”

“Hmmm…” said Roger.

“So is it my turn to ask a question?” asked Dastun.

“Go ahead.”

“What am I supposed to with that Megadeus?”

Dorothy said, “He’s one of the sane Megadeuses, like Big O and Dorothy One. He’s not one of the crazy ones like Big Fau or Big Duo. If you leave him alone, he will find a Dominus that suits him.”

Dastun, alarmed, asked, “So what’s it going to do, walk around the city and knock on doors? Is it going to hold a casting call?”

“I don’t think so,” said Dorothy. “I think a suitable Dominus will be drawn to him.”

“So we can just sit back and let things happen?”

“If the Union still has agents around,” said Dorothy, “they may try to destroy him.”

“Crash barriers,” muttered Dastun. “Searchlights. Guards. Artillery. Well, we can do that.”

“Just don’t shoot the true Dominus,” said Roger.

“How can I tell which is which?” asked Dastun.

“If you try to shoot the true Dominus, the Megadeus will attack you,” replied Roger.

“Thanks a lot. I really needed to hear that.”

Roger said, “Just don’t let anyone with a wheelbarrow full of explosives or a cutting torch get too close to the Megadeus, for their own safety, really. But if people with empty hands want to approach it, let them.”

“And this is all going to work out? The guy who gets the Megadeus is going to be true-blue and on our side?”

“Not necessarily,” said Dorothy. “He will be sane. That doesn’t mean he will be a nice person. He may turn out to be a louse with no fashion sense.”

[Concluded in Part 5, below]
A Clockwork Tomato 11-07-2003 11:26 PM
Act 27, Part 5

Late that night, while the city slept, a man moved cautiously towards the abandoned Megadeus. It was brilliantly illuminated by searchlights. He wasn’t sure why he was so interested in it – it didn’t really fit in with any of his plans – but he couldn’t stop thinking about it.
It was foggy and still, and the guards were lax, warming their hands over a fire in an oil drum and not paying attention to what was going on around them.

The man squeezed between the crash barriers and began to stroll casually towards the Megadeus, a crooked smile on his face. This slowly faded as he got closer, and was replaced by a look of wonder. He walked right up to the enormous right foot of the Megadeus. A panel silently slid open. The lights inside the compartment illuminated the man briefly, highlighting his curly blond hair and yellow suit. He stepped inside and the panel slid shut.

The Megadeus’ eyes lit. A moment later, It began to stride toward the wastelands.

[We Have Come to Terms]

NEXT:
Act 28: Returning to the Dead

The other episodes are:

Act 27: Life Goes On and continues with
Act 28: Returning to the Dead ,
Act 29: The Master Criminal,
Act 30: Dori, Dorothy,
Act 31: The Underground Error,
Act 32: Materia Medica,
Act 33: Heaven’s Day Mayhem,
Act 34: Memories of Days Gone By,
Act 35:Grand Theft Android
Act 36:Battle of the Wasteland,
Act 37: Pajama Party Pandemonium,
Act 38:The Big Chase,
Act 39: Act The Last of the Waynerights.
Tony Waynewrong 11-08-2003 12:08 AM
I like it. It's very realistic.
Mugiwara Luffy 11-08-2003 12:17 AM
AHHHH! That was awesome! Good job!!!

So now Beck has a Megadeus....it'll be interesting to see what happens next (if you plan on continuing it).

This story did sound like an actual episode. And a very good one, at that.
Lady Tesser 11-08-2003 10:28 AM
*applauds* The story shall go on!!!
A Clockwork Tomato 11-08-2003 05:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Tesser
*jumps from one foot to the other*

MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE!!!

I like. Brilliant work. Logical. Damn, you're good!

Aw, shucks!

The hardest part is writing dialog for Dorothy. That's really difficult. She doesn't say much, has a wicked sense of humor that is somehow understated and obnoxious at the same time, and her expressive lack of expression is really hard to put into words. It's much easier to write dialog for the others.

I started this partly because I was felt that starting off Season 3 wouldn't really stump the show's writers. I took just one of several plausible approaches.

As I wrote it, I discovered that the episode format makes the job LOTS easier. An episode isn't very long and needs a Big O fight scene in the middle, so it's not open-ended. Also, you simply don't have space to explain everything that's going on, so you leave lots of stuff up in the air. That gives a Big-O-ish sense of mysteriousness almost by accident.

I recommend the "episode" technique.

The other technique I like is writing an important scene that is not shown in the series -- something that happens between two scenes in an episode, or between the end of one episode and the beginning of the next. I'm particularly fascinated by the questions of, "(1) What made Norman bring Dorothy into the household at all, and (2) why did he seat her at the dining room table instead of taking her meals (which she doesn't need anyway) with him, in the kitchen, the way you'd expect?"

The relevant scenes have to all take place between Dorothy and Norman's first meeting in Act 1 and the point in Act 2 where she tells Roger that his fashion sense reeks. (I've already posted, in another thread, most of my version of these scenes.)

In some ways these are really easy, and in others they're really hard. Since a lot of the facts, the time scale, where people are, what people are wearing, how things turn out, and so on are known, you don't have to make as much stuff up. But you can't change anything from the actual show to make your life easier!
Chibi Dorothy 11-08-2003 06:17 PM
I really enjoyed reading that. Wonderful job! Smile
Zola 11-08-2003 06:42 PM
I enjoyed that very much. Excellent work! Smile
R.Smith 11-09-2003 02:12 PM
WOW! Need an Act 28! Cool

Your Act 27 is great, i can say that, if it were made into a real episode, i'd watch it over and over Big Grin
TemporalRift 11-09-2003 07:46 PM
*claps* Fabulous. Absolutely fabulous. You've made my Sunday, A Clockwork Tomato.
Mr. Peabody 11-09-2003 08:41 PM
Clockwork Tomato. I enjoyed reading your story, Act 27. It's a very plausible story as to what happens after Roger and Angel came to terms.

Will there be an act 28? Confused
R.Dorothy Waynewright 11-09-2003 09:09 PM
Shocked You absolutely MUST continue this! It was amazing! I'd really like to see you continue this story line, its very well written and well thought out. I love your explanation of what happened after Act 26....please give us more!!!
Mr. Peabody 11-09-2003 09:42 PM
CT. If you're considering more chapters for Act 27, please add two. Most fanfics have several chapters when it wasn't necessary.
A Clockwork Tomato 11-10-2003 10:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Dorothy Waynewright
Shocked You absolutely MUST continue this! It was amazing! I'd really like to see you continue this story line, its very well written and well thought out. I love your explanation of what happened after Act 26....please give us more!!!

I'll see what I can do. If all goes well, I'll have an ACT 28 posted by Big O's traditional show time of 11 PM EST on Sunday.
Jim Starluck 11-10-2003 10:41 AM
NEXT Sunday? AAARGH!!!

And here I was hoping we could get episodes a little more often than AS did...DAMN YOUR OILY HIDE!!

But I still want more! Big Grin
TemporalRift 11-10-2003 08:49 PM
If you could give us an Act every week at 11 A Clockwork Tomato (Can I just call you Tomato?) I'll sign myself over in total and complete servitude

As long as the person who currently holds that privelge doesn't mind outsourcing
RyuHayabusaDOA2 11-10-2003 09:49 PM
to the person who worte the fanfic:
Are you goping to put it in a text file? cause I wouldn't mind printing it at home and reading it. Big Grin