[Fan Fiction] Meeting Norman, by R. Dorothy Wayneright

A Clockwork Tomato 11-05-2003 07:42 AM
Meeting Norman
as told by A Clockwork Tomato

I rang the doorbell of Roger Smith’s mansion. The door was opened immediately by a tall, one-eyed man in a butler’s uniform.

“Can I help you, miss?” he said.

“My name is Dorothy Wayneright. I am here to see Roger Smith,” I replied.

“Ah,” he said, subjecting me to an inspection that was as thorough as politeness allowed. “Master Roger is not in at the moment. If you would care to wait?”

“Please.”

“Then follow me, miss.”

He ushered me in and showed me to an old-fashioned elevator. As he closed the gate he asked, “Forgive me for asking, but are you an android?”

“I normally let people know right away.”

“And how do you to that, miss?”

“I make a whirring sound in my throat and move in a robotic manner.”

Norman laughed. I demonstrated the whirring-motor sound and the robotic head movement, and he laughed so hard that he had to pull out a handkerchief and wipe his eye.

“It’s not supposed to be funny.”

“Of course it isn’t,” he said, sobering by degrees. “Forgive me. But I had this sudden vision of your technique catching on among the young ladies, as a way of deflecting the attentions of young men.”

“That is one reason I do it. If a man thinks I am a woman, and is attracted to me, he becomes angry or disappointed when he learns I am an android. That’s what Father says.”

Norman nodded. He was no longer smiling, but there was a twinkle in his one eye. “The scenario is not far-fetched in the least, miss. Here we are.”

The elevator stopped and we got out. We were in an enormous, opulently furnished room.

“Please wait here, miss,” said Norman. I expect Master Roger to return at any moment. Is there anything I can get you?”

“No, thank you.”

“Now, Miss Wayneright, you should know that Master Roger has left me with standing instructions that no one should be admitted to the house without his permission, with the exception of attractive young women.”

“Roger Smith is a louse.”

“Ahem. Although you are an attractive young woman, he will be startled to see you here, for reasons we have already discussed. When Master Roger is startled, he generally becomes rather angry and says at least one foolish thing before he regains his composure. Pay no attention and stand your ground, and you will do very well.”

“Thank you.”

The second time I saw Norman was after Roger rescued me from Dorothy 1. I have only fragmentary, nightmarish memories of my time with Dorothy 1. I did not know who I was: I was a machine. But then I heard Roger's voice shouting at me, telling me to wake up, and ending with, “You’re Dorothy Wayneright! Just be who you are!”

I was Dorothy Wayneright. With a tremendous effort, I managed to say Roger's name before I lost consciousness again.

Just be who you are.

I was only partly conscious when Roger returned me to the mansion, and spent several hours moving from one level of semiconsciousness to another. Finally, repairs complete, I woke.

I sat up suddenly. “My father is dead.”

I did not move for a long time. The room was empty. The day wore on and the shadows lengthened.

Eventually I rose. I went to the bathroom and washed. My dress was beyond repair. There was some superficial damage to my person, but it could wait.

I had been constructed to replace Father’s dead daughter. Father was dead. What was my purpose now?

The words, “Just be who you are” kept coming back to me. But who was I? The question was fraught with philosophical complexities. I am impatient with philosophy.

In the end, I decided to use as my lodestone the converse rule, “Don’t be who you’re not.” I would no longer be the person others expected me be. I would be true to myself.

I have an odd mix of personalities, a relatively calm (but by no means unemotional) android personality, and a set of chaotic traits, memories, and emotions modeled on the dead Dorothy. But in spite of their disparate natures, they were both in my head; they were both me. Very well, then.

Norman came into the room. He looked confident and self-assured, as he always did, but also concerned. I turned to him.

“Norman,” I said, “I have fallen in love with Roger Smith.”

[We Have Come to Terms]

Other Fan-Fiction by A Clockwork Tomato:

Act 27: Life Goes On, The first act of a fan-fiction Season 3.

Dori's Rude Awakening, a tale of Dorothy's identical android sister.
Tony Waynewrong 11-05-2003 01:24 PM
** Saluting ** That was excellent! I would expect Dorothy to behave in that manner. Cool stuff.
Lady Tesser 11-05-2003 01:47 PM
Brilliant, ACT. Simply brilliant. I love these off-screen stories.
Zola 11-05-2003 01:51 PM
I enjoyed that very much, good job Smile
Wingnut 11-10-2003 11:20 AM
How did I miss this?!?!
This is wonderful. Worthy of reconition in the fanfic archives.
Shady Dark Lady 11-19-2003 09:57 AM
Pleased That was a short but excellent scene! I wish they would have put that in the anime or manga Big Grin
DarkBear 12-12-2003 02:30 PM
Love it! Big Grin
Dorothy and Pero 12-12-2003 02:49 PM
I really like thist one, esspecially the last lineAnime Smile
You're really great at this Big Grin
Tifaria 12-12-2003 06:04 PM
I always wondered how Norman and Dorothy must have gotten acquainted with one another. You're so good at getting the characters to be, uh.. in character. I'm jealous! Pleased I can't believe I hadn't seen this either, it's terrific.
A Clockwork Tomato 12-12-2003 06:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tifaria
I always wondered how Norman and Dorothy must have gotten acquainted with one another. You're so good at getting the characters to be, uh.. in character. I'm jealous! Pleased I can't believe I hadn't seen this either, it's terrific.

Thank you, everyone; you're very kind.

This was the first BIG O fan fiction I wrote. I chose it because it was the second-hardest writing challenge I could think of -- writing a story in the first person from Dorothy's perspective.

(The absolutely hardest thing I could think of would be to have Dorothy tell a lengthy story OUT LOUD to some specific person. It's hard to imagine her continuing for more than a couple of paragraphs. While it's easy to imagine most of the other characters spinning yarns to an attentive audience, the mind boggles at Dorothy doing so.)
Lady Tesser 12-12-2003 08:41 PM
quote:
(The absolutely hardest thing I could think of would be to have Dorothy tell a lengthy story OUT LOUD to some specific person. It's hard to imagine her continuing for more than a couple of paragraphs. While it's easy to imagine most of the other characters spinning yarns to an attentive audience, the mind boggles at Dorothy doing so.)

If I can focus, I'll take you up on that challenge. Sweatdrop (Did I really say that??)
Kat 02-25-2004 09:27 PM
Ooh, very nice job, I liked it a lot. ^__^
Tony Waynewrong 04-15-2004 06:38 PM
You know, the more I read it, the more I like it. I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I'll say it again:

Kudos, this is a really good mini-fanfic. You enhance Norman's greatness by giving him that grandfatherly touch to his personality. Smile
Madrona 08-23-2004 07:39 PM
Wow, another one I missed. Why does this keep happening?

I really liked it.

"Don’t be who you’re not.” I'm going to remember that one. Words to live by I think.

Madrona
Dude Love 08-23-2004 08:30 PM
Wow, this is quite good. Smile You do have a way with the English Language, ACT.
aeternus_flammus 08-23-2004 09:51 PM
You are very good at adapting language to the character. Kudos!
BabyGhia 08-23-2004 10:03 PM
I missed this one also. This is really great, ACT.

BabyGhia
Dark-0 08-23-2004 11:09 PM
Nice work ACT, question are you still writing your season 4 fanfic?
BethMcBeth 09-01-2004 12:25 AM
WOW!! This was very good! I really enjoyed it!! ^_^"" I love your works by the way and your writting style!! ^_^"""