Manga Discussion

Wazpy 12-13-2003 07:24 AM
I guess Alan has been a character since the early days. They probably were going to use him as a one time use villain or something in season 1, but didn't have space.
Pygmalion 12-13-2003 10:01 PM
I had heard that vol. 5 was to come out in November. Last month, it became December. Tonight, I looked it up on Amazon (ISBN 1591161088 ), and they claim it won't be out until January. Is this sort of delay common, or are we just getting special treatment?

Pygmalion
NVWC2006 12-26-2003 08:21 PM
Sheesh.. I only JUST bought the first two..
And they are CRAZY..
Dorothy looks more lifelike, and more funny.
Angel seems.. bigger.. in the manga.. and i won't go into detail.
Norman is funnier.
Roger is cooler, in all the ways. Like, cool as in kewl, and cool, as in he can get his cheek scraped by a bullit, his glasses destroyed, and still crack a joke.

And Big O has got some CRAZY weapons.. Those arms are insane.

It's still great though. And Schwarzwald, before he went completely insane, he's great as well.

I already want to but the others, but want to save my money.
Piano Black 01-01-2004 03:49 AM
Is Schwazwald ever shown before his accident?
Wazpy 01-01-2004 04:32 PM
Ok, I just got the English Volume 5.
First off, they made an error. On the side they have a picture of Schwarzwald(The same one on volume 4).

spoiler (highlight to read):
This volume sure was sad.
Beck goes really insane and I assume also dies. Then there was the story about the abused little girl. Even the Norman story was a little sad.
At least Norman gets to show how much ass he kicks though. And also it was fun to see Beck's lackies try to fight Big O over and over again. They're design when they ran really low on cash was so funky.
The only thing that dissapointed me about this volume was the lack of Big Fau. I really want to see him in comic form. There was also a lack of Schwarzwald, Angel, Alex, and arguably Beck....
Tickle Tickle 01-01-2004 05:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
The only thing that dissapointed me about this volume was the lack of Big Fau. I really want to see him in comic form.

Just wait until the next volume ^^
You'll be surprised who the pliot is ^~
NVWC2006 01-01-2004 07:52 PM
We DO see Michael Seebach before he turns to Schwarzwald, somewhat. He's usually covered in some shadows, but assuming his face is symetrical, we can guess what he looked like before the burns, fully. Basically all he did was bandage up his skin, his clothing is like exactly the same.
But.. he has a beard!
Piano Black 01-03-2004 07:51 PM
Could you make out if his head was cone shaped or it it was just big hair?
Wazpy 01-03-2004 08:57 PM
...He had a normal shaped head/hair. He was wearing a detective hat and was more or less just some 40-50 year old guy with a cool beard. Go look through volume 2. He's all over the last chapter.
Piano Black 01-04-2004 02:58 PM
quote:
...He had a normal shaped head/hair. He was wearing a detective hat and was more or less just some 40-50 year old guy with a cool beard. Go look through volume 2. He's all over the last chapter.

Maybe you could scan me some pics. I'm saving up money for some nice speakers for my sound system and I can't get vol2. Please?
Wazpy 01-04-2004 05:28 PM
I can try to scan one in school...but it's only $10 and you can glance through them in any book store that carries them(Barns and Nobel, Border's ect.)
The Big Ian 01-05-2004 05:24 PM
Quite frankly, Ole' Crispy in his "normal" form reminds me of Big Ear.

Hmmm.
Ketchup 01-05-2004 08:54 PM
quote:
Ok, I just got the English Volume 5.
First off, they made an error. On the side they have a picture of Schwarzwald(The same one on volume 4).

This volume sure was sad.
Beck goes really insane and I assume also dies. Then there was the story about the abused little girl. Even the Norman story was a little sad.
At least Norman gets to show how much ass he kicks though. And also it was fun to see Beck's lackies try to fight Big O over and over again. They're design when they ran really low on cash was so funky.
The only thing that dissapointed me about this volume was the lack of Big Fau. I really want to see him in comic form. There was also a lack of Schwarzwald, Angel, Alex, and arguably Beck....

O__O Eep! Where did you get the volume? I can't find it at Border's or Barns and Noble. I just got the 4th.
Pygmalion 01-05-2004 08:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Unibasu
Where did you get the volume? I can't find it at Border's or Barns and Noble. I just got the 4th.

My comic store got it two weeks ago. Amazon seems to have it as well. The ISBN is 1-59116-108-8, if you want to go hit up your local Border's or B&N.

Pygmalion
Prince-Consort Tesser 01-26-2004 04:23 PM
In mentioning Volume 5, how come nobody mentioned the Gigadeus?

Surely you noticed it? The HUGE thingie that Beck was piloting? The thing that picked up Big O in one hand like an action figure?

Why is that, one wonders? Something about the size of the Behemoth but much more ... interestingly designed (like the giant riobot Bonaparte redesigned by Salvadore Dali), one would think that everyone couldn't stop talking about it.
Piano Black 01-26-2004 04:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Prince-Consort Tesser
In mentioning Volume 5, how come nobody mentioned the Gigadeus?

Surely you noticed it? The HUGE thingie that Beck was piloting? The thing that picked up Big O in one hand like an action figure?

Why is that, one wonders? Something about the size of the Behemoth but much more ... interestingly designed (like the giant riobot Bonaparte redesigned by Salvadore Dali), one would think that everyone couldn't stop talking about it.

One would think that your post should be a spoiler and should have spoiler tags. Tongue
The Baker St. Irregular 01-26-2004 05:32 PM
Hmm... I see there's already a bit of talk about the fifth volume. But I would like to go on my own! ^o^

I don't know about you... But I am practically giddy with excitement with what Ariga-san has been doing with the story thus far. I think there are definitely aspects about this that dig far deeper than the anime, but also serves as a lovely companion to the anime at the same time. For one... Paradigm City itself. Oh, man! I like to sit there and think about the city as a living creature... its little "toy" the Event. The both together never fail to mess with whom ever lives within it.

Case in point, the second story, In Darkness.

I love it, I love it, I love it! I am all for messing around with main characters like that... But most of all, it proves just how mucked up everything is because of the Event. When memories of the world before, something like a giant shadow ever-lurking in the lives of Paradigm City, but is actually not even existant... It's its total lack of existance, the void of the past and the present surrounding its vacuum, that doesn't fail to completely screw up anyone who has even the vaguest concept of it. Roger, for example, despite his efforts to keep his attention on the future, can still be swayed by the past... or at least... the void in time that has been called the past.

Ariga's definitely onto something here, and I'm very keen onto find out what he's going to do with it next.
Wazpy 01-26-2004 06:06 PM
I wonder what Alex Rosewater was thinking when he let Beck buy that whole dome...he must have wanted Beck to find the Gigadeus...maybe he just needed the cash though.
The Baker St. Irregular 01-26-2004 06:10 PM
quote:
I wonder what Alex Rosewater was thinking when he let Beck buy that whole dome...he must have wanted Beck to find the Gigadeus...

Would not be surprised a bit. We have to wait until freaking March to see what's going to happen next! More Alex, perhaps? Intriguing.
Tickle Tickle 01-26-2004 07:46 PM
Speaking of Vol. 5...

When Beck is imagining abunch of hookers around him, one girl has her head down in a VERY strange area. Something not suitable for a 'All ages' comic. Did anyone else notice this? Oo