Manga Discussion

Pygmalion 11-20-2003 08:51 AM
My comics store says December. Looks like it is coming out quarterly.

Pygmalion
SharpDressedMan 11-24-2003 08:51 PM
BWAH HAHAAHA! I've returned but it seems that this topic has done pretty well without me. Heh figured it would. I've got a whole bunch of manga scans ready from manga vol. 5 and 6 and the second I get around to it I'll be sure to get them in to Krang. I'm eagerly awaiting the latest vollume of the English manga to come out in December and let me just go ahead and say that it's going to be pretty amazing. All Beck fans that don't know what's going to happen deffinitely don't want to miss this one. I've been thinking lately about the difference in our Big O manga and Japans. Anyone know if there is some chance that maybye by the time volume 6 is finally released that we could have all the really nice extras. Trust me! We are really missing out over here when the Japanese has a foldout color miniposter (what I call it) and at the end has all types of great things such as character and mecha models. Perhaps having all of this might slightly jack up the price just a tad bit but in my opinion which I pray to be right each day that I'm alive I would be more than happy to pay the extra 2 or 3 dollars. Like I said thats just me and since I'm going to be getting the English versions anyways I thought they might want so save others some money at Viz. If you don't own volumes 5 and 6 this is where it really picks up so it is a great time for anyone who hasn't picked up on the manga to really get going. Heres a nice non spoiling pick of manga 6 that I haven't sent in yet. I'll try to get in as many as I can if anyone has any interest in seeing them. Hope that I'm able to make many more posts on the subject of the manga and just remember if there are any questions I'm here to answer whatever you need.
Paradigm Lapdog 11-26-2003 12:28 AM
Cool scan, I should be getting Vol 1-4 in the mail soon and can't wait!!
I have a few questions for those who have all the manga. Does vol 6 end the series, or does vol 2 of Lost Memories? I know that the manga does follow a different plot, but does Lost Memories end drastically different from the series? This is the first manga I plan to collect, and am hoping it is a good choice, considering it is only 8 volumes.
Mugiwara Luffy 11-26-2003 12:34 AM
I have pretty much every individual 'comic' of the manga (minus 1 or 2) up to the end of what most people would know as Vol. 3. And I also bought Vol. 4 the other day. Schwarzwald is awesome!

I like some of the stories in the manga and I was greatly impressed by Vol. 4. But I still like the anime better. Ariga draws Roger weird in the manga (but I liked how Roger looked in Vol. 4).

So I guess the bottom line is....

Get Volume 4, everyone!
SharpDressedMan 11-26-2003 09:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Lt. Smith
I like some of the stories in the manga and I was greatly impressed by Vol. 4. But I still like the anime better. Ariga draws Roger weird in the manga (but I liked how Roger looked in Vol. 4).

Truth be known as of volume 4 Roger goes on to looking more and more like his normal anime self. I couldn't be any happier. Theres something about his early look that makes me scream 12 year old all around the house. I think that people who didn't have as much love for the Big O manga because of the image they give of Roger will find the last 2 volumes a lot easier to stand on the other hand I never really found much interest in Manga Dorothy and it might be because Ariga draws her to look just like a a child. Hmm anyone see the coincidence? Ariga drawing mangas that are mainly for children (at least that's what I consider them... other than Big O) and then starting out this series with some what a child like desighn? This seems somewhat likely... either or the fact that the little boy look on Roger seems more like a typical anime character which we all know shouldn't ever be the basis of anything in Big O. The manga's story to me is just as good as anything the anime gave us and at that just as original. It's refreshing to know that even though the TV series is over that we have at least 4 volumes left to get over here. ... that is supposing we get lost memories and I could see no reason that we wouldn't.

By the way paradigm lapdog, the Lost Memories manga is said to take place after volume 5 and if you see it the way I do renders volume 6 rather pointless and irrelevant. I had such trouble finding this thing but I can tell you that it's great. That is if you get sad easily over the final volume of the original manga... I on the other hand think that the original ended marvelously and that it would be good to make another Big O manga and start it completely from scratch rather to correct what some saw as a bit too... emotional. I don't know about anyone else but I like seeing as many interpretations of a story as can be made. Having just one way of seeing a story is like never opening a book. You should always be willing to read on and ask yourself what if this happened?
Paradigm Lapdog 11-27-2003 11:15 PM
So what you're saying SharpDressedMan, is that Lost Memories is like an alternate, less ambiguous ending to the manga? If so, then at least when we get the last two volumes it won't seem unfinished.
SharpDressedMan 11-28-2003 05:25 PM
Yeah the way I have heard it numerous times is that many people in both countries weren't happy at all with the ending. I mean who out of this entire board would want the series to be left with an inanimate Dorothy. So since everyone seemed so unpleased they decided that they would just do away with volume 6 and run off 5. In fact the beginning of Lost Memories is sortof a recap of all the things that took place thoughout volume 5. I still believe that the volume 6 is a great adition to the manga series and it introduces a famous Megadeuce with a somewhat unlikely pilot... well sorta likely but a lot of people will be suprised.

By the way here are some answers to questions that I got to Lone Bebop just incase anyone was wondering about things such as this.

1. Just how many Vol. are there??
There are 6 volumes of the the original Big O manga. So far 4 volumes have been released stateside but we will be getting volume 5 in december so make sure you get you cash ready. I own the Japanese versions of volumes 5 and 6 and I assure you that they are going to be great. If you are interested at all in getting the Japanese versions I would be more than happy to send you a website that you could order them from. Also another good place to check is Ebay (where I got them), since you can usually get them there for a much better price. Got them for 3 bucks a piece. Quite the deal considering all the extras in the japanese versions. Also be on the look out for the new season 2 manga. It will be a 2 volume series and is called Lost Memories. It takes place after volume 5 and suggests that volume 6 never happened... since the sad turn in 6.

2. I have seen two different covers for Vol. 4 of the Big O manga, is one a newer/different version? or is that they just made different covers.
There is only one version cover for Volume 4. The cover of the Scientist was never released and only the Schwarzwald cover was put into the stores

3. Is the manga at the piont of Sesaon 2 With Big Fau and Alan Gabriel?
4 is the Schwarzwald volume. 5 is a really nice volume with a dorothy and normand story. A Roger Vs. Beck story, and a Dastun story. Finally volume 6 (Big finale) is where we finally have Roger fight Big Fau but I'm not ruining it for you. Anyone who hasn't seen this volume is in for quite the suprise all the way throughout. About Alan. He isn't in the original manga but he might be in Lost Memories. Guess that is just yet to be seen.
Wazpy 12-01-2003 05:39 AM
Just a quick note about Alan.
In Volume 2 there are a bunch of pictures that the artist did while he was still getting the hang of Big O.
There's one picture of a clown woman and her gang. Alan is in the picture. Possible first sketch of him?
Tickle Tickle 12-02-2003 06:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
In Volume 2 there are a bunch of pictures that the artist did while he was still getting the hang of Big O.
There's one picture of a clown woman and her gang. Alan is in the picture. Possible first sketch of him?

Also, I've seen a picture of a guy who some what looks like Alan. He has the same outfit (minus the stripes) and don'st have a mask on. He has 'closed eyes' like Brock from Pokemon. The guy is seen talking to Angel
spoiler (highlight to read):
When she's in Big Fau (Vol. 6)
Wazpy 12-02-2003 07:34 PM
Speaking of possible prototype characters, didn't that assassin in Volume 2 look a bit like an early Schwarzwald? I'm not sure if he was supposed to be an early Schwarzwald or if he was just some random guy wearing the same trenchcoat, missing the same eye Schwarzwald has the glass over, and interested in waking up the same mech as Schwarzwald....Afterall, in the end of Volume 2 the artists are having some random drunken discussion and say the prototype for Schwarzwald was handsome.
Ketchup 12-03-2003 07:54 AM
quote:

Good eyes, Wazpy. I'm not sure if that's Alan or not, but whoever it is he still looks just like him. The black hat with the stripe before the ends go out. Interesting. It also looks like he has something on his lips.

Oh, and just for those who don't feel like looking in their book Big Grin :

quote:
Speaking of possible prototype characters, didn't that assassin in Volume 2 look a bit like an early Schwarzwald? I'm not sure if he was supposed to be an early Schwarzwald or if he was just some random guy wearing the same trenchcoat, missing the same eye Schwarzwald has the glass over, and interested in waking up the same mech as Schwarzwald....Afterall, in the end of Volume 2 the artists are having some random drunken discussion and say the prototype for Schwarzwald was handsome.

Where? What assassin? o.O I don't see any assassin guy in Vol. 2. X_X
Wazpy 12-03-2003 04:36 PM
The assassin who had a whole story dedicated to him...He was killing people who he was told to kill 40 years ago and ends up waking that archetype thing...
Rouge 12-04-2003 10:56 PM
Regarding the Manga Alan picture. I'll try to identify the villains

Behind "Alan" is one of the crazy scientist people. The guy with the hat (Forgot his name) was in the Anime and he's the villian in "The Legacy of Amadeus" As for the Clow Girl and that Skull looking Megadeus in the background, I have no idea.

And yes I am looking forward for Vol. 5 and 6!
Mega Dominus 12-05-2003 04:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Rouge
Regarding the Manga Alan picture. I'll try to identify the villains

Behind "Alan" is one of the crazy scientist people. The guy with the hat (Forgot his name) was in the Anime and he's the villian in "The Legacy of Amadeus" As for the Clow Girl and that Skull looking Megadeus in the background, I have no idea.

And yes I am looking forward for Vol. 5 and 6!

The guy in the hat from "LoA" is named Giesing (spelling right?) and you are probably right for him and your other answers. Skully looks like a variation of Dagon, the Megadeus from "The Call from The Past" (the moaning, seaweed covered one) BUT has a noticable difference in the "face" department.

And I have no idea who Clow Lady is too. Is she from later volumes of the manga? Confused
Wazpy 12-05-2003 04:44 AM
I think they're all just prototype characters who may or may not have been used later one. Hell, that even looks like an early version of Roger. He looks like a character from Cyborg009.
Penny Century 12-05-2003 09:49 AM
I think Clown Lady is Vera. Check the blonde ringlets. The quasi-SS uniform may be a giveaway, too.

Speaking of Nazi imagery, is that a Reich eagle sprouting from Dagon/Big V/whoever-the-heck's head?
Shady Dark Lady 12-05-2003 01:50 PM
I have to agree with Penny..That looks like VERA!!! AHHHHH, Just when you thought she couldn't get any more frightening!! On the other hand, does anyone know when the next book will be out? So far, I haven't seen it, and the books usually come out on the first Tuesday/Wednesday of the month.
L_Master562 12-05-2003 04:16 PM
I thought of Vera when I saw the hair. And I always thought the union was full of clowns, but this.......... The thing in the back, that odd megadeus does look like a Dagon Body, yet also is visually similar in appearance to the farthest left megadeus in the production art here on Paradigm City pages 22. Just not without the skull.
R.Smith 12-05-2003 05:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Unibasu
quote:

Good eyes, Wazpy. I'm not sure if that's Alan or not, but whoever it is he still looks just like him. The black hat with the stripe before the ends go out. Interesting. It also looks like he has something on his lips.

Oh, and just for those who don't feel like looking in their book Big Grin :

quote:

Where? What assassin? o.O I don't see any assassin guy in Vol. 2. X_X

speaking of looking in a book, i reconized those characters, and i scaned the alan concept art, take a look! Wink
Tickle Tickle 12-07-2003 08:58 AM
WOAH! The history of Alan Oo

R. Smith can you post more concept art? Big Grin