Manga Discussion

perfectturmoil 10-15-2003 06:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SharpDressedMan
Yeah. Angel pilots Fau ... I don't know how much I like the idea of Angel being the pilot of
spoiler (highlight to read):
Fau

you kinda messed up your spoiler warnings ;-]
NeoNewType 10-16-2003 08:07 PM
I read somewhere that this manga was suposed to cover the events before and then through the events of the anime, is that true or does it give a compleatly original plot line with the same charecters and major themes.
Mega Dominus 10-16-2003 11:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NeoNewType
I read somewhere that this manga was suposed to cover the events before and then through the events of the anime, is that true or does it give a compleatly original plot line with the same charecters and major themes.

In my opinion, the manga runs co-concurrently with the anime series to the extent of the first season (excluding Lost Memories). Perhaps a better way to put this is that the manga's Big O universe is a parallel universe compared to the anime, but with a few "connectors" that tie in both aspects of the Big O.

One example of this would be the song (with lyrics) "played" in the background of one of the chapters in the manga involving Schwarzwald. It provided additional info about his origins and other stuff too.

Hope that helps. Smile
Shady Dark Lady 10-17-2003 01:34 PM
Volume 4 of the American Manga came out during the 1st week of October. I can't wait for Volume 5!! The reason Viz puts them out once a month is because, Most Bookstores won't buy that many if they put it out more than once a month. I collect another Viz series and the editor sometimes posts and that is what he told us. I love the Dorothy and Roger signature! It looks like she is wearing a nightgown?? I can't wait to see what that whole scene is about!
NeoNewType 10-18-2003 04:35 AM
Thanks for the clarifications, will most definatly have to check out the manga now.
John 10-18-2003 05:49 PM
I have the first 3 volumes of the manga. Unfortunately I won't be able to get volume 4 until Christmas. I got volumes 1 and 2 from Amazon.com, but I got volume 3 from Books A Million when I was on vacation. I think they're pretty good, but nowhere near the quality of the anime. I just read them 'cause they have more Big O Big Grin . Volume 2 was by far the best, and most like the anime. I will continue to buy the mangas, and I hope they get better (from what you guys are saying it sounds like it will... it also sounds like it becomes even less like the anime).
Ketchup 10-22-2003 09:43 PM
Yay!! I'm gonna buy as many volumes as I can! Wh00t!!

Anyway, frames or pages....I don't really care at all.

-wants Beck scans REALLY BADLY- O_O Um.....yeah. -cough-
Chibi Dorothy 11-03-2003 03:01 PM
I have news of the manga series.

The 2nd volume of Lost Memories came out in Japan Oct. 23rd! Big Grin

See cover here: http://shop.kodansha.jp/bc2_bc/search_view.jsp?b=349151X&x=C

But on the sad side it's the last volume of the series. Crying
Well it's sad for me because the TV series just ended for us here and it's was nice to know that the manga was still running.

I still don't have my import manga yet but it turned out for the best since I'll get all of it at once now.
Jr. 11-03-2003 06:35 PM
Someone said the manga ends on a sad note. If anyone knows how it ends, would you please post it here? It can't be worse than the show.
R.Smith 11-03-2003 06:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Chibi Dorothy
I have news of the manga series.

The 2nd volume of Lost Memories came out in Japan Oct. 23rd! Big Grin

See cover here: http://shop.kodansha.jp/bc2_bc/search_view.jsp?b=349151X&x=C

But on the sad side it's the last volume of the series. Crying
Well it's sad for me because the TV series just ended for us here and it's was nice to know that the manga was still running.

I still don't have my import manga yet but it turned out for the best since I'll get all of it at once now.

nice cover! wait....only 2 volumes in the lost memories seires??? why?
Rouge 11-04-2003 01:09 AM
Why is there two volumes? And just because Season 2 ended doesn't mean the manga should (I bet if there's a season 3, Hitoshi Ariga would continue his series).

What I like about the manga, is that its somewhat very different from the show, and it doesn't necessary have to be the same. I will be dissapointed if Lost Memories ends like Season 2 did.

Oh and Jr. the sad note is that

The manga ends with the inmobile Dorothy missing her memory stolen by Fau. Its really sad because she did move before but unlike the Anime it seems she had difficulties functioning without her memory and collapsed after. At the end of the manga after Roger's speech about Dorothy you see that someone says "Roger", and that leaves somewhat of hope to the readers that Dorothy did regain her conscious
Mega Dominus 11-05-2003 07:29 PM
A little late, but fans of Schwarzwald should definitely pick up Vol. 4 just for the REAL cover. Cool

Zopwx2 11-05-2003 10:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mega Dominus
A little late, but fans of Schwarzwald should definitely pick up Vol. 4 just for the REAL cover. Cool

So is this the fake cover? I have never read the manga, only the anime.

But, what the hell is the siginificance of this cover.

For someone like me who hasn't read the manga, it kind of scares me.

Exactly how much difference is there between the manga and the anime.
Pygmalion 11-05-2003 10:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by zopwx2

The characters on the cover you posted are in a story that is manga-only. I thought it was pretty non-canonical. But then I got my start in manga reading Nausicaa, so I find any coincidence between anime & manga to be little short of miraculous.

Pygmalion
Mega Dominus 11-05-2003 10:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by zopwx2
quote:
Originally posted by Mega Dominus

For someone like me who hasn't read the manga, it kind of scares me.

Exactly how much difference is there between the manga and the anime.

Yeah, the cover you posted up was a cover for one of the "comics" that Viz published. The "comics" were originally separate chapters in a Big O graphic novel, and they separated them to make them more "American". Tongue

So, I believe that the cover you have was a tentaive one. Man, was that an ugly sight to see. If you want to compare, the link below will show you the original Japanese covers for Vols. 1-6:

http://www.the-big-o.net/products/index.html

Just scroll down...good thing to keep them similar, huh? Big Grin

For the differences, see the earlier posts for more info. Or just buy them, it's worth the US$9.95 each.
Name Of God 11-05-2003 10:52 PM
Just got the first manga book volume thing the other day. It was the first time I had ever bought manga, so I was a bit surprised with what I got. Big Grin

For those of you who havn't seen it, it is actually more like a book than a magazine (which was what I in all my ignorance was expecting). It is about six inches tall by four inches wide.

The art surprised me abit. It certainly resembles the show, but the characters are generally less angular. The faces in particular seem rather rounded compaired to the anime, and this tends to make the characters seem younger. :/

I've only read the first volume, as I have said, so I don't really have to big a grasp on where the plot is going. The individual stories are varied in quality. The first story, "Take Back a Memory" wasn't that good I though. It didn't quite seem to fit in with the Paradigm city I knew from the show. The second story, "Electric Bug" however, was excellent, as was the third story. I think I'm just having a bit of trouble adjusting to the fact that the manga is a totally different story than the TV show. The discrepancies through me off at first.

I glad I bought it. I'll probably keep reading them, at least until I get to volume four. Big Grin Yay for Schwarzwald.
Chibi Dorothy 11-05-2003 10:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Smith
nice cover! wait....only 2 volumes in the lost memories seires??? why?

Yeah I asked myself the same thing, I was expecting it would run longer than two volumes. Crying

I'm really anxious to find out what happens...
Please let Dorothy be in working order dang it!
Pygmalion 11-06-2003 07:15 AM
Corvallis is blessed with a Borders, so while I was there perusing some Mozart piano concerti, I took a look at the "graphic novel" section.

Well, lookee there -- Big O volumes 2 & 4. Needless to say, they did not have vol. 4 much longer.

FYI, for other manga-less fans who are convieniently situated to a Borders.

Pygmalion
The Big Ian 11-07-2003 05:18 PM
Hmmm. Interesting.
I just went to Brunswick Square mall yesterday, planning to see Matrix Revolutions. Sadly, they were swamped so I had to drop that plan. Anyway, I went to Suncoast and managed to pick up Baron Karza on clearance, the latest issue of ToyFare, stawberry pocky, a Tron 2.0 Figure on clearance, and...

Big O Volume 4! (With stylish Schwarzwald cover: you guys on the funny pictures thread were right, he can sell anything!) Yay! Anime Smile

Oddly, they had Volume 1, but they seem to have changed some of the overall format. I have Volume 1, but it has a black spine and I think it may be a different size. The content is the same though. *shrug*

Anyway, for those who have it, doesn't that song seem to connect to Act 26?

Now I have to wait to go back to Suncoast to see if they have Classic Red Falcon yet and Borders to see if I can get Volumes 2 & 3...
Shady Dark Lady 11-20-2003 08:43 AM
Anyone know when the next manga, issue 5 is coming out? I thought it would have been out by now.