Season 3 Snail Mail Campaign

Zola 10-01-2003 03:54 PM
Even though the web is really convenient, networks tend to take letters sent snail mail a lot more seriously.

If you really want a season 3 of Big O, sit down and write them now! All it will cost you is a little time and a stamp. The more of us who do this, the more chance they will pay attention.

The address is

Cartoon Network Programming
1050 Techwood Drive
Atlanta, GA 30318
Sixfortyfive 10-01-2003 04:08 PM
*scoffs at the idea*

I'm going to see how season 2 ends before I beg for the series to be stretched out more than it might have to be.
Michael Seebach_Renz 10-01-2003 04:12 PM
I must ask, how is begging a US network going to help get another season of Big O made? The only way you'll do that is mailing the studio in Japan that created it. I'm sorry, but what made you think CN had anything to do with the creation and production of Big O?
The Big Omega 10-01-2003 04:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Seebach_Renz
I must ask, how is begging a US network going to help get another season of Big O made? The only way you'll do that is mailing the studio in Japan that created it. I'm sorry, but what made you think CN had anything to do with the creation and production of Big O?

Cartoon Netwrok co-produced Season 2. They helped fund it because they got lots of feedback on how everyone loved Season 1 and wanted Season 2. I'm going to wait for Big O's ending before I start on this but most likely I'm gonna send them in some letters as well.
Sixfortyfive 10-01-2003 04:19 PM
quote:

Wow. There are so many things wrong with this post that it's not even funny.

Pretty obvious that you weren't into the Big O scene back when we begged CN to the point of practically funding season 2 for us. It was overseas support that made Big O season 2 possible.
Michael Seebach_Renz 10-01-2003 04:21 PM
I find what you are all saying very, very hard to believe. Unless someone can produce some hard evidence to support what you are all saying, I can not believe you. And if it is true, then I have lost much respect in Big O and the Japanese studio that originally created it.
perfectturmoil 10-01-2003 04:22 PM
quote:

Um.. yeah.. cartoon network had EVERYTHING to do with getting us Big O season 2. The show was scrapped because it didnt have much of a following in Japan. We, on the other hand, really wanted some resolution. So, cartoon network agreed, and they got ahold of the writers and everything, got some cash, and made the show.

Cartoon network also, because of the terms of the negotiation, have the ability to buy into not only 13, but 26 more episodes.

Therefore, Cartoon Network IS the entity that we should contact if we want more.

quote:
I find what you are all saying very, very hard to believe. Unless someone can produce some hard evidence to support what you are all saying, I can not believe you. And if it is true, then I have lost much respect in Big O and the Japanese studio that originally created it.

alright.. wtf? you lost respect for the company who made big o because they finally found funding to finish it? it was obviously not supposed to end at episode 13.. its just that the japanese market wasnt very interested. we were, however, so cartoon network funded the completion of the series.
Zola 10-01-2003 04:23 PM
Because Cartoon Network contracted with Bandai and Sunrise to produce Season 2 of the series and helped to pay for it. I thought that was common knowledge, I apologize for not mentioning it if it isn't.

Furthermore, on one of the cards on a break, the Adult Swim writers urged fans to get in touch with their bosses so that we could get a third season. While the card messages are often jokes, if there was no chance at all of a third season, I doubt they would have said anything.

According to several people who have seen all of the second season, it is not a cliffhanger like Season One, but it also does not conclude by any means. One of them said "I think most will definitely want another season."

Apparently CN optioned another 26 episodes when they contracted the second season, this was reported on several sites, and the ratings were even better than they had hoped, so if a bunch of us write, it may be enough to convince them to go ahead and produce it if they are wavering about it.
Sixfortyfive 10-01-2003 04:24 PM
Look at the opening credits. Pay particular attention to the following line: "Co-Produced by Cartoon Network."

Big O wasn't a total flop in Japan, but it didn't have good enough ratings to warrant more episodes. Even though it took a while, the relatively warm reception it received in the States was enough to convince Sunrise to continue with the series.

And continuing a labor of love like Big O for its fans in another country is grounds to hate Sunrise? What are you on?

quote:
Originally posted by Zola
According to several people who have seen all of the second season, it is not a cliffhanger like Season One, but it also does not conclude by any means. One of them said "I think most will definitely want another season."

I've seen the end of the second season, and most of the rest between now and then. I haven't bothered translating the end, mainly because I want to save something for when I get to see it in English, but I understand the jist of it.

I'm a firm believer that a third season, a direct continuation of the story, would do nothing but make the series stale.

Although I like what's happened in season 2 and how it's been portrayed, when's the last time Dorothy & Roger had a conversation on the rooftop? Or the last time we had a full scene of Roger and Big Ear chatting? Or consistent use of staples like "Cast in the name of God, Ye not guilty."?

Season 2 is very apparently more meat, less filler. Although that's a strength in some respects, it's lost most of the atmosphere and personal feeling that the first season explored so well. The prospect of a third season would probably pigeon-hole the extent of the plot down to a mundane formula of nothing more than Roger chasing after the truth, and that's not something I want.

Give me a prequel. Give me sidestories. Give me an OVA of the Event. I'm willing to watch more, but not a standard third season.
Schoolie 10-01-2003 05:45 PM
I agree with the comment about waiting to see how the second season ends. It looks like things are coming to at least some sort of closure or resolving of some of the mysteries.

I also miss everything you mentioned: the balcony conversation scenes, the chats with Big Ear, "Cast in the Name of God . . ." and some of the other stylish nuances of the show. Granted, they don't have to keep things always the same, but using similar themes and settings maintain the show's feeling.

I'd like to see some of the relationships and mysteries resolved by the end of the show. If that's done by episode #26, that's good with me. If they can manage to uphold the "integrity" of the show while keeping things interesting, I'm all for a third season.

The first season seemed to have more episodic shows. So maybe they can make a third season full of little mysteries here and there. But now it looks like all of the 1st season shows are connected somehow to the "big" picture. Still, they might still be able to do shows like Bring Back My Ghost and Missing Cat, which are mostly self-contained stories, which still manage to study and develop the characters and Paradigm city.

Who knows? I might write the exec's anyway to show my thanks at least. And third season or not, I could use more Big O, like full-length movies or something. Thanks for the address!

BTW:
There's a short article in Anime Insider #8 (Aug 2003) as well as in Wizard #0 (Sept 2003) that talk about the comeback of Big O, and the critical role of Cartoon Network and American viewers. Check 'em out. They're basically the same article.
angelcakes 10-01-2003 05:52 PM
I would also like to see how the series ends before I go and threaten CN to fund another season. It's a good idea but just a little early in the game. Smile
Surtur 10-01-2003 05:56 PM
Yes - we should wait to see what CN decides, wich will probably be based on ratings. If they announce that tyhere will be no 3rd season of Big O, and we are not content, we can organize everyone here to send letters to them asking for one. There are over 500 people on these forums, so if everybody sends one letter a week or so, they'll probably cave.

But like I said, ratings will probably come first for them.
088nd 10-01-2003 05:58 PM
Must wait... 3 1/2 weeks for...season finale Mad
angelcakes 10-01-2003 05:59 PM
I like the way your mind works Surtur. Big Grin

They'll have to cave if all of 512 of us send letters.
Zola 10-01-2003 06:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie
Who knows? I might write the exec's anyway to show my thanks at least. And third season or not, I could use more Big O, like full-length movies or something. Thanks for the address!

You're welcome. Smile I posted it because I actually had to call Time-Warner and get passed around to be sure that I had the correct department, LOL. I did it to spare others the trouble.

It just seems to me from where I stand that there is enough hanging that it isn't going to be fully resolved in the short time there is left. Logic also suggests that if CN had an option on 26 more episodes, they aren't going to completely wrap up everything.

Time will tell.
Zopwx2 10-01-2003 06:05 PM
Once season 2 is over we'll all discuss it and post sample letters in this thread, revise it till we all agree and sign if you wish. If the ending sucks, or we believe it should end as is. Then let it be.

Im just saying that one unified letter, is better than a whole bunch.
Zola 10-01-2003 06:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by zopwx2
Once season 2 is over we'll all discuss it and post sample letters in this thred, revise it till we all agree and sign if you wish. If the ending sucks, or we believe it should end as is. Then let it be.

Im just saying that one unified letter, is better than a whole bunch.

Quantity will impress them as well, but I think your idea of creating a sample letter is excellent Smile
Schoolie 10-01-2003 06:11 PM
Great. We'll meet back here at the end of October, reflect on Season 2, and organize a plan of attack if necessary!

Power to the Peeps!
angelcakes 10-01-2003 06:14 PM
Maybe we can have all members supporting it have ther screennames at the bottom of a letter in which a few good men/woman write a few short paragraph why and what make Big O one of the best animes since...ever. Then have the mods. print it out and send it to said address. I mean is their really anyone that won't want a season 3 if need. I mean my idea is only for when/if we need to.
Surtur 10-01-2003 06:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by angelcakes
I like the way your mind works Surtur. Big Grin

It's why you fell in love with me Big Grin

The single letter with all supporters and a few paragraphs from choice people is a good idea, but I think signing with our screen names may be bad. They may not take us seriously if they see 50 Roger Smith variants and 80 Dorothy variants under it. We may want to sign with our real names.