DBZ Ocean dubs! Yes!

Patsai 07-10-2007 03:36 PM
I'm sure if you all have been watching DBZ way way back in early 1994 - 1996, it had an older and more convincing cast of voice actors before Funimation came along. When they had a change in the cast around the Ginyu Force saga, I was completely thrown off by it, but I pulled through it through the Cell saga anyways.

I just found out that Ocean dubbed the entire series, and I've always prefered them over Funimations voice actors. The Ocean dubs aired in Canada and the UK, so I was wondering if anyone knows if they have released any part of the series on DVD.

For those who need a refresher on Ocean's dub compared to Funimation, there are a whole ton of them on YouTube. Here's one (You have to agree, Vegeta sounds so much more badass in the Ocean version!):

Ocean dub #1
Funimation dub #1
Ocean vs. Funimation #1
Ocean vs. Funimation #2
Garlic Jr. Ocean dub
Raven 07-10-2007 03:42 PM
Wow, the Funimation version of Android 19 is way better than that Ocean one. I did miss the old Vegeta though.
Inigo Montoya 07-10-2007 05:58 PM
You're kidding, right? Chris Sabat was easily superior to Brian Drummond as Vegeta. The only thing Ocean Group did right was having "OVER NINE THOUUUUSSSAAAAAAANNNND" in their dub.

Adding those bad cartoony Looney Tunes sound effects to all the violent parts... their consistent talk of "I'm going to send you to the next dimension!"...

Yeah. Ocean Group sucked hard.
War.
Sharpshooter005 07-10-2007 06:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Adding those bad cartoony Looney Tunes sound effects to all the violent parts...

Hell I'd insert that in ghost in the shell.

I love that show and all that could make it better is if in the dub, for no reason one of the characters suddenly started talking like marvin the martian then immidiately lapsed back to normal. It'd amuse the hell out of me anyway.
Inigo Montoya 07-10-2007 07:14 PM
Canadians ruin everything good. There. I said it.
War.
Patsai 07-11-2007 02:37 AM
Unfortunately I'm not kidding. I realize Ocean didn't have the funding that Funimation did, but Funimation's dub just didn't do justice to the series, at least for me anyway. The cartoony-effects are all something I can live with, it is a cartoon anyways, and as with all cartoons it shouldn't be taken seriously. "Sending you to the next demension" may not have been convincing, but it sure sounded better than the Funimation's "Home for Infinite Losers" as a coverup for hell.

Better music and better sound effects just isn't going to cover up the fact that they casted Freiza to a female (and retained the voice quality of one...refer to YuYu Hakusho's female mentor) and Vegeta sounding like an 80 year old man beaten in the throat with a baseball bat over and over again.
Inigo Montoya 07-11-2007 02:20 PM
And so you'd rather have a Vegeta who sounds like the weaselly sidekick to the main villain? Brian Drummond's worse at voice acting than Chris Sabat, and whoever did Perfect Cell's voice was a total joke.

Vegeta under Funimation at least sounded sort of like a prince, and HFIL was only the first few episodes of DBZ. After that, they called it hell. The Canadians never got over their censorship, and Dragon Ball Z already had its own sound effects, why did they have to add more that just detracted from the show?
War.
Patsai 07-11-2007 03:04 PM
quote:
And so you'd rather have a Vegeta who sounds like the weaselly sidekick to the main villain? Brian Drummond's worse at voice acting than Chris Sabat, and whoever did Perfect Cell's voice was a total joke.

Vegeta under Funimation at least sounded sort of like a prince, and HFIL was only the first few episodes of DBZ. After that, they called it hell. The Canadians never got over their censorship, and Dragon Ball Z already had its own sound effects, why did they have to add more that just detracted from the show?
War.

True. FUNimation did do a better job of translating and editing the show. I took a look back and found out Ocean did butcher the hell out of the original script at the beginning (Thanks Saturn) and then followed FUNimation's script afterwards. They were on a limited budget, so I'm sure after the Freiza saga the VA didn't really try as hard, especially on the time frame they were given to finish the series (Ocean's one year compared to FUNimation's all-the-time-in-the-world).

I still like prefer the voices and the feel in the Ocean dubs, although both sides had their flaws, so at times I do have to give FUNimation a thumbs up on the stuff they did do right (*cough*Cell*cough*).
evanASF27 07-11-2007 03:26 PM
quote:
Canadians ruin everything good. There. I said it.
War.

I think I'm gonna agree with this.

Android 19 sounds like some lame idiot from youtube (coincidentally) who wanted to dub his own pathetic voice into a popular anime show.... but failed miserably.
Vegeta's voice sucks.
Tien is...ugh...
Krillan.... Oh My God.

This is the worst cast I've ever heard in an anime.
X Prime 07-11-2007 05:50 PM
What the blue hell was wrong with FUNimation Frieza?

That Frieza was freaking awesome.
Patsai 07-11-2007 05:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
What the blue hell was wrong with FUNimation Frieza?

That Frieza was freaking awesome.

=

But...to each his own.
X Prime 07-11-2007 06:05 PM
I see no issue.
Inigo Montoya 07-11-2007 06:15 PM
Neither do I, though Ocean Frieza had an effeminate voice as well.

Japan's Frieza had a deep and manly voice, from what I understand.
War.
Nine Kuze 07-11-2007 06:30 PM
I didn't watch the YouTube links (deep hatred of YouTube and all that) but I didn't know that Ocean did a dub of Dragonball Z before FUNimation did since the FUNimation version was the only one I saw (I think).

Anyway, I never had a problem with the Vegeta issue. I liked the version from the Saiyan Saga but the one from the Freezer Saga and beyond that is bad either. Didn't have a problem with Krillin or Tien all that much either, same Freezer. Although, you have to admit it was bad to a degree.

quote:
and whoever did Perfect Cell's voice was a total joke.

Er, no. I liked Damien Clarke's Perfect Cell. What was so wrong with it?

Recently, I saw a little something of the Hildegarn movie with the English subs even though I watched the original when I was like in middle school or something. Anyway, does anybody know who did the VA for Piccolo from FUNimation? Because in the Hildegarn movie, they had Vegeta's voice sound exactly like Piccolo's... EXACTLY. As soon as I saw that, I couldn't watch the rest and just change it. Whoever was the voice director needs to be fired, Piccolo's voice shouldn't have anything to do or be near Vegeta.

That's what I got at the moment anyway.
Peace.
Inigo Montoya 07-11-2007 06:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nahne Kuze
I didn't watch the YouTube links (deep hatred of YouTube and all that) but I didn't know that Ocean did a dub of Dragonball Z before FUNimation did since the FUNimation version was the only one I saw (I think).

Anyway, I never had a problem with the Vegeta issue. I liked the version from the Saiyan Saga but the one from the Freezer Saga and beyond that is bad either. Didn't have a problem with Krillin or Tien all that much either, same Freezer. Although, you have to admit it was bad to a degree.

quote:
and whoever did Perfect Cell's voice was a total joke.

Er, no. I liked Damien Clarke's Perfect Cell. What was so wrong with it?

Recently, I saw a little something of the Hildegarn movie with the English subs even though I watched the original when I was like in middle school or something. Anyway, does anybody know who did the VA for Piccolo from FUNimation? Because in the Hildegarn movie, they had Vegeta's voice sound exactly like Piccolo's... EXACTLY. As soon as I saw that, I couldn't watch the rest and just change it. Whoever was the voice director needs to be fired, Piccolo's voice shouldn't have anything to do or be near Vegeta.

That's what I got at the moment anyway.
Peace.

Wrong Cell. There's high-pitched bishounen voiced Cell. That's the Canadian one, and that's the one I 'm referring to. Chris Sabat is the VA for Piccolo and Vegeta in the Funimation dub. Ocean Group had Brian Drummond as Vegeta (the man of "OVER NINE THHOUUUUUSSAAAAANNNDD" fame) and Scott McNeil as Piccolo.
War.
Patsai 07-11-2007 06:49 PM
Disregard post. Was getting a little mad, too early to respond. Anyone still willing to tell me about the Ocean dub DVDs?
Inigo Montoya 07-11-2007 06:50 PM
Well, admittedly, Scott McNeil was a much better Piccolo. I always thought Chris Sabat was a good Vegeta but should be nowhere near Piccolo for being a VA.

And both Gokus are good.
War.
Nine Kuze 07-11-2007 06:57 PM
Scott McNeal did Piccolo? Wow, I didn't know that.

I thought Chris Sabat did Gokou. If he did Vegeta, then you did Gokou?
Peace.
Inigo Montoya 07-12-2007 06:21 PM
There have been five or six English Goku voices... I'd have to search for them.
War.
Wazpy 07-12-2007 07:02 PM
I kind of like the fact that they switch because the animation switched with it. The Ocean Goku and Vegeta are way too young sounding to fit with the buff monsters that they become by the time Namek is over. The Funi guys on the other hand, try so hard to sound gruff that they could never pull off the early stuff well.

The one thing I really hated about Funi though was that Chris Sabat (Vegeta, Piccolo, Yamcha, ect.) was voice director and pretty much cast himself for half the parts. Everyone had the same sound. I got his autograph two times when he was in the city and all his voices sounded kind of the same to me, even in person. Also, I straight up prefer the Ocean Gokus to the Funi one. He always sounded a little drunk to me.