Transformers doing well...get ready for BIG O movie someday

DorothyFan1 07-09-2007 10:49 PM
I'm really surprised to see the Transformer movie doing so well...but then again...the Transformer has a built in merchandise tie in. I don't see this possible for Big O because this anima is far more adult than Transformers.

However, this could be a sign that Hollywood studios may be looking for new ideas to liven up the box office. I'm telling you...Big O will most definitely be in their sights.

Characters like Schwarzwald and R. Dorothy can't be beat for originality and has a better chance at scoring for a three movie deal. Okay...what's cooking on the Big O front these days?
The Ghost of Ember 07-10-2007 05:14 AM
While I think we'll see an increase of the Giant Robot Genre in theaters thanks to the success of Transformers, I doubt we'll see any fairly modern anime adaptions. Well, unless we got a Big O fan hiding somewhere in the depths of hollywood. More likely we'll see some other 80's giant robots derived from Japanese Animation that has been thoroughly "'Localized'", like Voltron or Robotech or something. Maybe a Gundam if we're lucky.

To be fair, I think the chances of such a Big O movie occurring has jumped, but it's a jump from 0% to maybe 1%.

I don't want to sound defeatist, sometimes I feel that attitude is too much in vogue around here, but I can't really imagine it happening. Big O was clearly designed for western audience, almost so much so that it was a gamble to even make it in the first place, and Anime is becoming less and less of an obscure thing, but we're not yet at the point of major movie adaption for anything recently (within the past decade) popular, unless it's so popular it's absurd. The Hollywood machine creaks along by taking as little chances as possible.

Maybe in ten or twenty years. If we're lucky.

Neon Genesis Evangelion was getting a western movie, right? Whatever happened to that? If that's a hit too, we'll probably have another jump from 1% to 5%.

Aren't I just a barrel of optimism?
Mr. Peabody 07-10-2007 11:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1
I'm really surprised to see the Transformer movie doing so well...but then again...the Transformer has a built in merchandise tie in. I don't see this possible for Big O because this anima is far more adult than Transformers.

The Transformers fanbase aren't the only ones going to the movie, it's also the general public. Postive word has spread across America. Everyone loves Transformers except the critics and a few rabid fans!
Sharpshooter005 07-10-2007 03:07 PM
quote:
Okay...what's cooking on the Big O front these days?

The pot is empty, the stove is broken, and the gas bill hasn't been paid in years.
Patsai 07-10-2007 03:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
The pot is empty, the stove is broken, and the gas bill hasn't been paid in years.

Don't forget the knobs went missing too.
Tony Ventresca 07-11-2007 08:35 AM
I walked into the office today and our IT guy said the movie was great. I'm still skeptical, however, and will probably save my money.

Besides, they changed Bumblebee.

The FX in the Transformers movie are apparently great, which means giant robots fighting (i.e. Big O) is do-able. The prob with Big O is the extremely low profile it has in North America and thus small potential market. At least most Hollywood execs might have heard of the Transformers, if only after tripping over their kid's toys on the living room floor in the 80s.

TV
Big Money 07-12-2007 12:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Ventresca
The prob with Big O is the extremely low profile it has in North America and

Japan, where they hate it almost as much as AS Inuyasha crowd.

... Look, I'll agree to a Big O movie on the grounds that it in no way does the show justice, and is all-in-all a weird, random, bloated mess of a movie.

... wait what am I saying, that'd be perfect!

Sldo, Mike Myers for Roger Smith.
Generalissimo D 07-12-2007 03:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
Sldo, Christian Bale for Roger Smith.

ij jij
Sharpshooter005 07-12-2007 04:11 PM
quote:
our IT guy said the movie was great.

Did he then spend five minutes explaining why he felt the need to include a filter in your spreadsheet program which turns 'microsoft' into "M$" and how ubuntu is so much better and you're all just sheeple before wiping the barbecue sauce off his fingers onto his xxl "c/dos/run" t-shirt