Why Nobody With A Functioning Brain Supports Mexican Immigration Activists

X Prime 07-07-2007 01:03 AM
http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/mexicoflag.asp

Oh yes, that'll REALLY make them want to give Mexicans amnesty like EVERYBODY ELSE... or rather nobody else.

For intelligent responses on this topic, visit HERE.
Ace of Spades 07-07-2007 01:09 AM
Whatever.
X Prime 07-07-2007 01:11 AM
Can't help if it's true.
Hollow XXVI 07-07-2007 01:21 AM
More like anyone with a functioning brain doesn't support any activists ever.
Wazpy 07-07-2007 09:55 AM
I wasn't going to post in this topic, but I came across this on Digg just seconds after being here, so why not...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/06/us/06v...gin&oref=slogin


You can call if brainwashed liberal journalism or say it has no relevance or whatever it is that you guys do when something shows the other side of your argument. I'm not coming back though.
X Prime 07-07-2007 09:59 AM
Those are legitimate and should be let in. The complaint has more to do with amnesty for fools who don't follow our laws. There's a reason I used the word 'Mexican' specifically... no other group has had the sheer audacity to demand forgiveness for lawbreakers who get benefits for breaking said laws. That one could in theory apply to any immigrant group and therefore in all actuality does not directly apply to the complaint at hand.

You gave it the old college try, but maybe next time you can contribute something intelligent by... you know, reading.
Inigo Montoya 07-07-2007 10:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
Those are legitimate and should be let in. The complaint has more to do with amnesty for fools who don't follow our laws. There's a reason I used the word 'Mexican' specifically... no other group has had the sheer audacity to demand forgiveness for lawbreakers who get benefits for breaking said laws. That one could in theory apply to any immigrant group and therefore in all actuality does not directly apply to the complaint at hand.

You gave it the old college try, but maybe next time you can contribute something intelligent.


X is an ass, rude, sometimes uncouth. But he's dead on here, Wazpy.

Illegals are asking for forgiveness for BREAKING THE LAW. The very idea undermines the efforts of all those souls who spend so much time and effort to become a legal citizen of this nation?

Would we truly insult their efforts by just allowing anyone to hop a fence, walk into a social security office, and get an ID card?
War.
X Prime 07-07-2007 10:14 AM
I would have preferred the word crass. I would think that my horribly blunt trauma style of argumentation is quite graceful in some twisted way.
Wazpy 07-07-2007 10:20 AM
I kinda meant for you to understand that becoming legal isn't easy or in some cases, even possible. If doctors work for 30 years and can't get a green card, what chance does an average guy have?

Maybe you guys have never seen illegal immigrants hanging out on a street corner doing nothing. They're not loitering, they're hoping someone comes by and gives them a gardening job. That's not exactly what I would call a dangerous threat to America...

I really don't want to fight about this though.
The Baker St. Irregular 07-07-2007 10:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
I really don't want to fight about this though.


I have a bad feeling it's too late...

This sort of issue is tricky as hell and that's why I can't form a definite opinion about it. Not only that, I am dissuaded by the rabid ravings of both extreme sides. If ever there was an issue that needed to be dealt with level-headed-ly, this is one of them.
Inigo Montoya 07-07-2007 11:02 AM
I'm not rabid on it. It's cut and dry.

We talk about people getting leniency for breaking the law because it's necessary for them to get by. In that case, I propose amnesty to any and all bank robbers, carjackers, and any other crime wherein the economy is forcibly altered through a violation of established laws where the perpetrators made less legal income than the national standard poverty level.

It's the same thing.
War.
X Prime 07-07-2007 11:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
I kinda meant for you to understand that becoming legal isn't easy or in some cases, even possible. If doctors work for 30 years and can't get a green card, what chance does an average guy have?.


Unfortunate, but I fully expect that class-action lawsuit to succeed since it's painfully obvious something was botched. I suspect that not many even consider such things and simply want to get in as quickly as possible. So again, it does not apply since these people did not break the law then turn around and demand a free pass, unless you're willing to say "oh yes, it's a difficult process, that totally justifies disrespecting the American flag and making an OMG REBELLIOUS statement that AMERIKKKA is evil and deserves to be under Mexico because we want something resembling secure borders. Your diatribe is henceforth pointless and tangential. I reiterate: try harder, or honor your original statement to not come back in here.

Life's not easy except for that worthless bitch Paris Hilton (who needs to be thrown into the trash compactor where she belongs, how's THAT for a tangent?). You deal with it as it comes.

...I don't know why we even want an average person. We have enough of those already.
Sharpshooter005 07-07-2007 11:44 AM
quote:
I really don't want to fight about this though.


You mean you don't want a rerun of the last thread which just became ad-hominem attacks about how side A isn't going to listen to side B because side B is either racist or just some pot-addled hippie depending on who you ask? I don't know I thought that was the HEIGHT of reasoned debate.

All I'll say is if you think our immigration laws are bad I can point out any number of other countries whose laws would give you a heart attack. Also, as a postscript, weaponize space now (threads gonna derail severely about halfway down this page so why not take it there already)
Generalissimo D 07-07-2007 12:55 PM
It'll take time for them to go from being unwanted immigrants to not wanting immigrants (like the irish, etc).

Also, get your sh** right, these were student protesters. Student protesters do all kinds of stupid things.

A totally radical solution would be to annex Central and the upper bits of South America. Legal complications ease, random investors from the North can develop the areas that need developing and the road to everyone getting right the f*** along in this place we call the New World gets even stranger.

Probably wouldn't work, but it'd be fun to watch.
Inigo Montoya 07-07-2007 01:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Call Me D. Just D. The D.
It'll take time for them to go from being unwanted immigrants to not wanting immigrants (like the irish, etc).

Also, get your sh** right, these were student protesters. Student protesters do all kinds of stupid things.

A totally radical solution would be to annex Central and the upper bits of South America. Legal complications ease, random investors from the North can develop the areas that need developing and the road to everyone getting right the f*** along in this place we call the New World gets even stranger.

Probably wouldn't work, but it'd be fun to watch.


I have to agree with D here.

All in favour of the annexation of Central and South America, say "aye."
War.
Big Money 07-07-2007 02:08 PM
Oh Lawd, not this again.


Look, folks, I don't know how it works in Yankee land or the midwest or whichever magical fairytale shithole part of America you live in, but around where I live, things just don't get done without illegal immigrants. See, the reason these folks get the jobs they get is because nobody else will work for as cheap as they will, because actual American citizens have higher levels of education and better training and all that nonsense. They're far too expensive. The only way for some industries to even function is to allow illegals to work there. Take, for example, the other day, when I whistled for a cab, and when it came near, the license plate said "fresh" and there were dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare but I thought man, forget it, yo home to bel air! I pulled up to my house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabby, "yo homes, smell ya later!" I looked at my kingdom, I was finally there, the seat of my throne as the prince of bel air.
Inigo Montoya 07-07-2007 02:42 PM
Wow. A /b/ and Bel Air reference, Money?

I thought better of you.
War.
Dude Love 07-07-2007 03:20 PM
I mean, I think the most ignored issue is all the people who are utilizing legal channels and essentially get the shaft. The country has quotas on how many immigrants can come into the country, and from where. Since border hopping is recognized as a pretty big problem it means that the number of people allowed in through legal channels are going to be decreased, since we have Mexicans and Irish (illegal Irish immigration is actually fairly common, even if it doesn't hold a candle to immigration from Mexico and points south) and other nationalities moving here illegally. So, illegal immigration is not a victimless crime. Every person who does respect our immigration laws are deprived of the protections our system is designed to give (ie. a channel to legal residency in the States).
Hollow XXVI 07-07-2007 07:39 PM
quote:
See, the reason these folks get the jobs they get is because nobody else will work for as cheap as they will, because actual American citizens have higher levels of education and better training and all that nonsense. They're far too expensive. The only way for some industries to even function is to allow illegals to work there.


Yeah, people always come up with this.

"Illegals pick strawberries for below minimum wage in the hot sun, you best be glad you're getting them at 1.99 a pound!"

And I always think..okay, if I have to pay 10 dollars for strawberries..I'll pay 10 dollars for strawberries. They're f***ing strawberries. I'll murder for strawberries.

Hell, I'm the type that doesn't buy food at McDonald's because they're shipping illegal immigrants all the way up to CANADA and giving them FREE HOUSING that the Canadians you know, need..with the excuse of "oh we're just trying to help them get by" when the whole reason is "we need to keep our hamburgers at 99 cents" or whatever the hell price they are.

Ridiculous.
X Prime 07-07-2007 07:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dude Love
I mean, I think the most ignored issue is all the people who are utilizing legal channels and essentially get the shaft. The country has quotas on how many immigrants can come into the country, and from where. Since border hopping is recognized as a pretty big problem it means that the number of people allowed in through legal channels are going to be decreased, since we have Mexicans and Irish (illegal Irish immigration is actually fairly common, even if it doesn't hold a candle to immigration from Mexico and points south) and other nationalities moving here illegally. So, illegal immigration is not a victimless crime. Every person who does respect our immigration laws are deprived of the protections our system is designed to give (ie. a channel to legal residency in the States).


BINGO.

B-I-N-G-O.

Notice how one of the speakers in the NYT article makes a reference to this. It's sad, but illegal immigration apparently also fosters some mental steterotypes about immigration in general which is painfully unfortunate.

---

Further: DM, I thought I had already clearly established how Money fails.