Why Nobody With A Functioning Brain Supports Mexican Immigration Activists

Sharpshooter005 07-07-2007 11:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
All in favour of the annexation of Central and South America, say "aye."
War.

...Might be fun, I could see some hilarity ensuing.

Sure, why not
X Prime 07-07-2007 11:23 PM
Just so long as they're less uptight.
The Fallen Phoenix 07-08-2007 12:06 AM
Annexation of Central and South America isn't actually such a bad idea. I'm an anti-nationalist, though, so anything that would amount to super-national entities forming would be fine by me. In lieu of that, loosening trading restrictions would be just as well. As a matter of fact, rather than just liberalizing the economic side of things, we should liberalize the flow of populations across borders.

This does not mean free amnesty for all the illegal immigrants, or completely opening the borders and letting everyone in. But relaxing quotas, easing the restrictions on nationalization (I know too many horror stories, both anecdotal and from reading, about hard-working foreigners who are nonetheless denied citizenship despite working through all the legal channels for many years. One of my favorites is the foreigner who came to the U.S., enlisted in the military, fought in Iraq, and yet still can't get citizenship), and just making it easier for individuals to get here in order to participate in and strengthen the national economy should be encouraged.

Obviously, security concerns need to be taken into account, and it is going to be very difficult to strike a fine balance between having an immigration policy that is as liberal as possible while simultaneously ensuring security risks, including but not limited to terrorists, do not enter the United States. Therein lies the challenge. But, being the anti-nationalist that I am, I'll take a little less security in exchange for a stronger and more cohesive North American Free Trade Association. Ironically, one of the ways to strengthen U.S. security while simultaneously shrinking the borders between other countries (most notably Canada and Mexico) might be to encourage stronger immigration policies, not for the U.S., but for its partner countries. If all three countries can secure their borders, then the borders between the three can afford to be that much thinner.

In any event, a great start to creating a larger and more liberal North American economic market would be for other regional countries, especially those in Central and South America, to convert to the U.S. dollar, rather than using their own currencies. It would actually do absolute wonders for those countries, particularly in investor confidence, which those countries need in spades.
Sharpshooter005 07-08-2007 03:26 PM
quote:
Annexation of Central and South America isn't actually such a bad idea.

Can we annex Canada too? Just so the opening credits to fallout 1 can come to pass, and everything will look like its straight out of 1954?
X Prime 07-08-2007 04:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
In any event, a great start to creating a larger and more liberal North American economic market would be for other regional countries, especially those in Central and South America, to convert to the U.S. dollar, rather than using their own currencies. It would actually do absolute wonders for those countries, particularly in investor confidence, which those countries need in spades.

That's a pipe dream and we all know it. They're more on the side of the blatantly anti-U.S. than otherwise for one reason or another. They simply have too much misguided national pride in some instances, especially Mexico.

Speaking of pipe dreams, nobody sane would expect Mexico to secure its border with the United States, because it's painfully obvious THAT THEY DO NOT WANT TO; they think it's their territory anyway. I meant... what would be the benefit to Mexico in securing that border? It's not like we could threaten military intervention even if we were utterly justified, because that'd be a PR nightmare. We can't even mobilize our own military to secure our own fricking border without those imbeciles playing the victim.

This all said... I'd also rather take nationalism over the U.N....
The Question 07-08-2007 07:46 PM
I really don't understand how this image can effect people in any way at all. It's just an upside down flag it's not like they're burning it or wiping their asses with it. So what if the Mexican flag is above it? They're high school students they probably just did it by accident.
Inigo Montoya 07-08-2007 08:52 PM
Apparently you do not really understand the power images hold.
War.
Sharpshooter005 07-08-2007 09:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
Apparently you do not really understand the power images hold.
War.

No really this now just transcended all issues, that was...I've lost pretty much all faith in the internet again.

I mean the lack of ad hominem attacks so far was sort of restoring it. Clean slate again, square one all over again
Sharpshooter005 07-09-2007 03:36 AM
Actually, I sort of take it all back, since I just saw an ad on CNN mentioning the merging of youtube and political debates.

Yeah apparently the internet has finally manifested itself legitimately. We're all going to die. Anyone want to hide in a bunker with me through that? I plan to have a sno-cone machine..oh also an impervious defensive system which will exterminate any intruders. But the sno-cone machine would have basically all flavors which is also vital.

edit: Oh if you say youtube is democracy...sorry, the currently nonexistant bunker wont fit you..yeah....in the post-apocalyptic hellscape I cant deal with video bloggers
X Prime 07-09-2007 04:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Question
I really don't understand how this image can effect people in any way at all. It's just an upside down flag it's not like they're burning it or wiping their asses with it. So what if the Mexican flag is above it? They're high school students they probably just did it by accident.

...Tell me you aren't really that deluded.

No seriously. Did you even read the article? Do you know what it means when the US flag is positioned in certain ways?

Come on. Think a little harder.
Hollow XXVI 07-09-2007 04:51 AM
Simple geometric shapes, X-sah. Simple geometric shapes.
The Question 07-09-2007 12:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
quote:
Originally posted by The Question

...Tell me you aren't really that deluded.

No seriously. Did you even read the article? Do you know what it means when the US flag is positioned in certain ways?

Come on. Think a little harder.

It's not about delusion. But I'm no nationalist, I'm not American either. I'm probably one of the least patriotic people in the world, flag burning barely gets a reaction from me, upside-down flags mean even less.

I just find it difficult to see things from your point of view, especially if you just insult my intelligence. To be honest, when I went to America, the children were just as patriotic as you (not that I'm generalizing, just taking from my experience), I think they did it by accident. Plus the school probbably wasn't the UN either so it probbably only had one flag pole.

I'd hate to imagine what it would be like if they actually were burning the flag Sweatdrop

And yes, I did read the article.
X Prime 07-09-2007 01:01 PM
In other words, when you KNOW a flag was stolen and you KNOW what the US flag being upside down means and you KNOW that the students were trespassing on and vandalizing school property explicitly in support of Mexican illegal amnesty, a HIGHLY controversial issue...

Considering the odds of accidentially turning the flag upside down while adding the Mexican flag... yeah no. You'd have to be pretty damn delusional to think that it was more likely to be an accident than not, and I have no problem telling you that up front. I haven't actually insulted your intelligence, for reasons that shall remain obvious, if unstated.
Hollow XXVI 07-09-2007 01:08 PM
...it's not really about patriotism at this point.

It's more about "wow these kids are really stupid trying to get amnesty for illegals by demonstrating in this fashion".

Burning a flag or turning it upside down regardless is a show of disrespect. To the country that's supposed to be giving said people a free ride.

So yeah, it's stupid.
Big Money 07-09-2007 03:13 PM
Its a lot more stupid than it is insulting.
Sharpshooter005 07-09-2007 03:48 PM
No my issue was with "wait how can images have an impact like this".

That just struck me as..yeah.

edit: I also still think they confused the meaning of inverting a flag with flying it backwards. If they knew that inverting a flag is a distress signal that seems unusually layered and subtle for this sort of thing.
Big Money 07-09-2007 04:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
No my issue was with "wait how can images have an impact like this".

That just struck me as..yeah.

Exactary. But don't tell anyone, your innarbuts reputation will go down for associating with me.
Sharpshooter005 07-09-2007 04:20 PM
I feel like I need some form of decoder wheel to read that post.
Big Money 07-09-2007 05:02 PM
You need three Proof of Purchases and a stamp or two for that.

Allow 2 to 6 weeks for delivery.
Hienrich Ele 07-09-2007 05:57 PM
I believe it was the demi God Stephen Colbert who came up with the best plan to solve illegal immigration AND the war in Iraq.

You round up all the illegals, and put them in the military. You then send them over to Iraq. Then you take out our soldiers who are legal citizens, and put them on the border. You then call the border the "recruiting station".

Or, I can't remember who said this, you build a wall 50 feet high and 20 feet deep along the border. Then, behind that, you build another wall 50 feet hight and 20 feet deep. And behind that, you build another wall 50 feet high and 20 feet deep, and you label that one as "Wall 3 out of 250". And behind that one, you build another wall 50 feet high and 20 feet deep, and label it "Wall 4 out of 250". The best part is you wouldn't need to build all 250 walls, because people will assume anyone crazy enough to build 4 walls and label them as such would be crazy enough to build 250 walls.