Air Force people are amusing

Patsai 06-29-2007 10:04 AM
I really do fit right in here in the Air Force. A majority of the people are well fit, but not only are most of them smart, a lot of them are a bunch of geeks. It's like nothing I've ever experienced in my eighteen years of living. My supervisor is the biggest Marvel comic and Magic: The Gathering geek I've ever met, and although he's a decorated Airmen with awards for fitness and military honors, he'll sprawl over at the nearby city to attend card tournaments. I thought, well, that's just his hobby. I soon realized this was EVERYONES hobby.

What's even more amusing, I was at work a couple days ago, and we were talking retro stuff we remembered as a kid, and then Mighty Morphin Power Rangers came up. Everyone, from the tough dude whose attitude is hard to bear sometimes to even my six-stripped Master Seargeant, got into it, talking about everything from Zardon to Rita Repulsa.

I came into the Air Force almost one full year ago almost expecting myself to adapt to a mature enviorment, but I guess that's just another pie to my face.
Nine Kuze 06-29-2007 12:59 PM
Halo thar, Patsai!

Glad to see that you are enjoying yourself in the Air Force and... did you, did you say Magic: The Gathering?

Er anyway, how is your process as far as being in the Air Force going?
Peace.
Pie_Junkie 06-29-2007 08:02 PM
It's things like that that make me want to join the Air Force more.
Generalissimo D 06-29-2007 08:11 PM
I feel safe knowing this about my military.
Sharpshooter005 06-29-2007 09:16 PM
...We give you PLANES?

Kidding, kidding...just uh...remember theres no button on those to make it turn into starscream.
Generalissimo D 06-29-2007 09:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
...We give you PLANES?

Kidding, kidding...just uh...remember theres no button on those to make it turn into starscream.

Yet.
Pie_Junkie 06-29-2007 09:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Call Me D. Just D. The D.
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
...We give you PLANES?

Yet.

Maybe by the time I join. *hope*
Inigo Montoya 06-29-2007 10:20 PM
I played Magic with my Drill Sergeants back at AIT.

And one of them started a D&D campaign using the old 1st Edition ruleset.
War.
Patsai 06-30-2007 01:39 AM
Not much really goes on here, although I am climbing a mountain on the 4th of July. Probably hang out there that night up top and watch the fireworks fly over our base. Big Grin

Well to round out the geekiness of this base, there are those that, of course, don't bother with anime, comics, or anything of that nature. Of course, they're few and far between, and you really have to look for them.

Before Rise of the Silver Surfer came out, our shift leader, who flirts with every girl he sees (and does a good job of it too), pretty much spoiled the whole story arc of the Galactus in a group conversation we all had after work. I never knew this "geeky" side of him; I always sought of him as a party animal who usually always goes into work on Monday describing his stories and..."experiences" going to weekend parties and clubs.
Sharpshooter005 06-30-2007 10:22 PM
quote:
our shift leader

Please tell me if this guy ever is detailing a combat mission he'll use the phrase "ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO (whatever)" at the end.

No really this would actually be pretty cool
Patsai 07-02-2007 11:19 PM
LOL, kind of. Big Grin

Unfortunately the Air Force doesn't have a lot of "missions", it's just runs like an everyday job. When it does get busy though, our seniors start using phrases like "We have to do whatever it takes to complete the mission". In other words, "Get'er done."
SEELE 08 07-02-2007 11:48 PM
quote:
I really do fit right in here in the Air Force. A majority of the people are well fit, but not only are most of them smart, a lot of them are a bunch of geeks. It's like nothing I've ever experienced in my eighteen years of living. My supervisor is the biggest Marvel comic and Magic: The Gathering geek I've ever met, and although he's a decorated Airmen with awards for fitness and military honors, he'll sprawl over at the nearby city to attend card tournaments. I thought, well, that's just his hobby. I soon realized this was EVERYONES hobby.

That explains the Airforce ROTC kids at my college...and why they hung out with all the other non-military geeks...
IamRogerSmith 07-03-2007 10:02 AM
Haha, that's a great little story. Smile

I had similar expectations of maturity stomped when I went to college.