Best 2-d fighters available these days

Lupin IV 06-25-2007 09:42 PM
I haven't played a good, good 2-d fighter since Marvel VS. Capcom 2. Is this pretty much a dead genre these days?
Generalissimo D 06-25-2007 10:39 PM
GUILTY GEAR X2 #RELOAD is pretty awesome
Wazpy 06-26-2007 12:03 AM
Honestly, Street Fighter 3 is still the best.

The last Guilty Gear I played was X2, which was pretty great (Although in terms of characters and story it lacked any charm. Talk about a generic anime design....)

Capcom vs. SNK games are up there too.

In other words... nothing new... companies all think 2D fighters won't sell, despite the fact that the mere mention of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 would cause millions to dive into their pockets.
Inigo Montoya 06-26-2007 10:10 AM
It's all about the MK, baby.

Nothing beats screaming "GET OVER HERE" while impaling your opponent through the neck with a harpoon before dragging them over to you and pummeling the [EXPLETIVE DELETED] out of someone with a hellacious combo.

Yay for Brutality.
War.
Mike 06-26-2007 11:48 AM
Yeah, MK2 was the pinnacle of MK-age.

I never could get Brutality though. Or most of the Fatalities. I think the only one I could get was the Sub-Zero freeze-and-break-in-half one.
Wazpy 06-26-2007 01:24 PM
Mortal Kombat is so lame... I mean, some of the concepts were cool, but the actual fighting was so crappy. It was very gimmicky. And the new ones are getting worse. Deception was okay, but the in the newest one (I forgot what it's called already.) they tried to make the combat more like the old games... which was like trying to get a wooden board to fight.
Inigo Montoya 06-26-2007 02:20 PM
Those were 3d fighters, dude.

MK 1-3 and Ultimate were the best and owned Street Fighter totally.
War.
Wazpy 06-26-2007 10:53 PM
Mortal Kombat couldn't even own Rock'em Sock'em robots.
Inigo Montoya 06-27-2007 12:01 AM
Look, just because MK didn't have SF's generic Kid mascot and Generic Nondescript Karate Man out for Non-specific Revenge doesn't make it bad. The truth is MK had a cooler storyline, better gameplay and less hairpulling moves.

Seriously, making circles with a D-Pad? What the hell?
War.
Wazpy 06-27-2007 12:13 AM
Trust me. I hate generic guys like Ryu. I'm a Dhalsim and Zangief kinda guy. Besides... Mortal Kombat pretty much defines generic. How many repainted ninjas are there? I'm not even going to get into the robots.

Mortal Kombat truely sucks, however, due to the fact that it plays like a flash game. It feels less solid than even Mugen. You should check it out again since your support probably comes from nostalgia, which is totally acceptable.
Inigo Montoya 06-27-2007 12:21 AM
Denied. I play MK 1 still on my old Genesis, and the controls are so much better than SF 1. You ever play SF 1? Worst. Fighting game ever. And I've played Kakuto Chojin. The controls were infuriatingly non-user friendly, the CPU fought like a cheap overhyped boss on every stage and the characters were horrifically rendered to the point where one's eyes bled.

MK had some of the most badass story. It had easy controls for the basics with special moves getting progressively harder the more powerful and cool they were. It had cool bosses (seriously, Goro beats Bison or Vega or whatever the hell he's called now). And... Its Arcade versions and Console versions were BOTH GOOD.

The only good fighting games Capcom has EVER made are their crossover games, and only the arcade versions, because every single console port they've ever done of those has unanimously sucked ass.
War.
Wazpy 06-27-2007 10:04 AM
I've played Street Fighter 1. It's terrible. I'm not going to pretend it's good. When people say Street Fighter they mean 2 and above.

I'm also not going to argue with you about Mortal Kombat if you've played it recently and still think it plays well for a fighting game. If you like the story that's one thing, but to claim the crappy "motion capture" sprites and jerky control system is acceptable is another.

Darkstalkers was great too. I wish they would make a new game... and by new I don't mean a new version of Darkstalkers 3.
Lupin IV 07-06-2007 09:38 PM
My latest purchase was the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection on the ps2. It has a compilation of all the different SF2s combined into one thing, and SF3. I never played SF3 so that was a fresh experience, although the new characters were kind of weird. I prefer the sf2 classics.

It also came with the crappy, censored animated movie. Censored and bad quality aside, it's still nice to own as a fan. I never picked up the dvd that came out awhile ago.

I'd love to get a Darkstalkers game, but they don't have like anything out in the u.s.? At least on a console (not psp or handheld). Shame too, I always liked B.B.Hood in MvsC2.
Larry99 07-13-2007 11:19 AM
Guilty Gear X2
Hollow XXVI 07-15-2007 07:14 PM
Lupin, they had Darkstalkers 3 on the PSX. People complained about the sprite animation and blah blah blah but the game is damn fun regardless. And fast as hell.

Also agreed with Wazpy. Mortal Kombat is a game that was intended for children who thought BLOOD AND SPINES AND STUFF ARE COOOOOOL. The controls and play mechanics are godawful and that's why the series is dead today, because the kids grew up and realized "hey, okay Scorpion is cool but this whole 'patty-cake Jax to death' thing isn't working out for me anymore".

Street Fighter Alpha 3 is the best 2D fighter out there, still. Nearly every character from all the SF2's are there, and even extras. And Capcom just knows how to make fighters.
X Prime 07-15-2007 07:55 PM
The greatest 2D fighter of all time is Gundam Wing: Endless Duel.
Generalissimo D 07-15-2007 09:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Larry99
Guilty Gear X2

Listen to this guy. He knows whats up.
X Prime 07-15-2007 09:40 PM
So says the kid who holds a petty, retarded grudge on the Internet he splashes all over his profile.

Yeah, I think we can all disregard your opinion.
Wazpy 07-15-2007 10:25 PM
In other news... I'm making a fighting game... It's near being ready to be tested. I'll post it when its ready to be tested,

It's about the epic battles between snakes and mongooses.
Sharpshooter005 07-15-2007 10:36 PM
In mugen or whatever you can make suiseiseki (desu desu, motherf***ers) waste that idiot from ff7, sephiroth or whoever, or so youtube led me to believe. So..thats the correct answer.

Otherwise, I dont know I never really played many of those.