Chris Benoit found dead...

Jonny Axehandle 06-25-2007 06:20 PM
...along with his wife AND his son. WTF?

http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publish/article_20619.shtml

The only thing bringing me happiness right now is knowing there is an epic match in heaven now between two of my all-time favorite wrestlers, Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero.
Mr. Peabody 06-25-2007 07:15 PM
I just heard about this on WWE Raw and I'm absoultely shocked.

Chris Benoit was one of the professional wrestlers that I respected the most. I can't believe that not only he, but his family are gone. Of all the tragedies that have befallen professional wrestling, I believe this is the worst. My prayers go out to the Benoit family.
Fujiko 06-26-2007 03:32 AM
Although I wasn't a great fan of Benoit's, I always had fun watching him go against Chris Jericho. This is incredibly tragic.

I am partly curious as to how this will turn out, though. Apparently this is being investigated as a double-murder-suicide.
Mr. Peabody 06-26-2007 03:14 PM
I'm sorry to report that the Fayette Country Sheriff's Department has confirmed that the Benoit tragedy is a double murder-suicide.

Over the weekend, Benoit tied up and strangled his wife Nancy, smothered their seven-year-old son while he slept, called the WWE to cancel his appearance at a wrestling show, sent close friends rambling text messages, and finally hung himself in his weight room.

The sheriff's department has also found steroids on the property.

I'm so shocked this has happened.
Delirious 06-26-2007 05:41 PM
Me too. I loved to watch him wrestle. He was one of those that just kept on and on until the match was over. I didn't get to see all of RAW on Monday, but I caught the end when they showed Wrestlemania XX when he won the title against Triple H and Shawn Michaels. And then Eddie came out after the match ... that was so cool. Big Grin

But I'm still so confused what would lead to all this. Confused
Mr. Peabody 06-26-2007 06:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by red tomato
I didn't get to see all of RAW on Monday, but I caught the end when they showed Wrestlemania XX when he won the title against Triple H and Shawn Michaels. And then Eddie came out after the match ... that was so cool. Big Grin

But I'm still so confused what would lead to all this. Confused (

The WWE held a tribute show to Chris Benoit last Monday, featuring some of his best career matches. In between the matches, past and present wrestlers like 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin, Dean Malenko, Edge, John Cena, Chavo Guerrero, and HHH quietly spoke or cried as they recalled their fondest memories of Benoit.

'Roid rage is the likely culprit, as steroids were found in the Benoit home.
Nine Kuze 06-26-2007 10:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
Over the weekend, Benoit tied up and strangled his wife Nancy, smothered their seven-year-old son while he slept, called the WWE to cancel his appearance at a wrestling show, sent close friends rambling text messages, and finally hung himself in his weight room.

Yeah, I've been reading reports about this all day and that's pretty much the bulk of it, despite how distrubing that sounds. I didn't know about the steroids being found either but its been reported that Chris and Nancy Benoit had domestic problems in their marriage and that he smothered his son because he didn't want him to live with the fact that his father killed his mother.

I remember reading on the WWE.com website the night before that Benoit was suppose to fight for the ECW World Championship but he didn't arrive to the arena because of "personal issues". But still, I never expected it to come out like this.

I was out last night and my friend randomly called me about this when I was out with other friends. I was shocked and was hoping it was a hoax or something (especially with the idiotic angle Vince McMahon came up with to have himself "killed" in a limo explosion thast was based off The Sopranos) but this really had and still has me shook. I mean, it pretty came from nowhere and its a terrible cirumstance that the Benoits had to leave life like this. I wasn't as shocked as I was when I found out Eddie Guerrero died (I almost cried when I found that out) but still, its still tragic. He was one of my favorite wrestlers and one of the most technical wrestlers I've ever seen.

Rest in peace, the Benoit family.
Peace.
Fujiko 06-26-2007 10:17 PM
A wee bit more stuff here.

Link
Nine Kuze 06-26-2007 10:24 PM
This just gets more f***ed up as this goes along.

Especially what happened with Benoit's son, Daniel and the aspect of steroids being a factor in this homicide as well.

EDIT: Forget the steroids angle, the police are saying it had nothing to do with Benoit's actions or state of mind.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 06-27-2007 08:12 PM
quote:
Forget the steroids angle, the police are saying it had nothing to do with Benoit's actions or state of mind.

I've only heard categoric denials of steroids being involved at all coming from the WWE.

And, you know, it's not like they might have any vested interest in taking the steroids thing out of the media. No none at all.
Nine Kuze 06-27-2007 08:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
Forget the steroids angle, the police are saying it had nothing to do with Benoit's actions or state of mind.

I've only heard categoric denials of steroids being involved at all coming from the WWE.

And, you know, it's not like they might have any vested interest in taking the steroids thing out of the media. No none at all.

Trust me, steroids are used in professional wrestling. Anybody saying anything different is a lace-curtain in denial.

Since Eddie Guerrero died, the WWE has been on a strict drug program and the wrestlers used steroids that were either legal by the company's standards or were given to them by professional doctors. Everyone's going crazy about Benoit's actions being influenced by steroids and that he went on a 'roid rage' on his family but the WWE is looking at the finer points and are convinced this isn't about steroids going buckwild on Benoit's mentality and at the moment, I agree with their point of view.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 06-27-2007 08:40 PM
quote:
legal by the company's standards

Oh I'm sure these are some rigorous guidelines, yeah

edit: Wait didn't he have something with his neck and was on painkillers as well as the steroids HE TOTALLY WAS NOT ON VINCE MCMAHON SAID SO? There was some mention of opiates I remember
Nine Kuze 06-27-2007 08:48 PM
quote:
quote:
legal by the company's standards

Oh I'm sure these are some rigorous guidelines, yeah
I know you're not taking this seriously and all, but actually they are. Many wrestlers have been suspended or fired because they have violated the drug program.

quote:
edit: Wait didn't he have something with his neck and was on painkillers as well as the steroids HE TOTALLY WAS NOT ON VINCE MCMAHON SAID SO? There was some mention of opiates I remember

Don't... listen to McMahon, yeah. Besides if this whole thing never happened, he'd still be dead.

He had neck surgery in 2001 and missed the majority of that whole year anyway. And besides, what wrestler isn't on painkillers?
Peace.
Fujiko 06-27-2007 10:31 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to just blame it on the steroids. Last time they tested him for steroids (April of this year), his results turned out negative. Plus he was most likely on painkillers, as well as being treated for low testosterone levels. Besides, I'm sure he had some serious inner demons that (if true) caused him to do this.

I dunno, I don't wanna say much until the toxicology results are released, which will most likely take weeks.

There's also the whole thing with the bibles as well. From what I understand, Benoit wasn't religious.
Delirious 06-27-2007 11:28 PM
Thanks for the fill in on what happened on Raw on Monday, Mr. Peabody. Smile
IamRogerSmith 06-28-2007 09:33 PM
I just like to throw my hat into this one from a different angle: roid rage is a total myth.

Do a little scientific research and you'll find no evidence to support the claim that it exists. Roid rage is a classic stereotype made up by those who do want people not to use drugs of any kind by claiming there is some major drawback to it and thus scare people away from steroids. Modern steroid cycles are actually quite safe when used with guided medical supervision (leading to far less cases of heart defects and hormonal issues; the two most common actual side effects of steroids). The real problems are that a lot of people who use steroids don't follow the medical supervision (by taking too much, or not paying attention to symptoms) and also take all sorts of other drugs to aid their growth unbeknown to their physicians.

The Chris Benoit story is really sad. But what's worse is the media spin which will undoubtedly lead the violation qua restrictions of more personal freedoms in the supplement industry. I know a lot of guys who take steroids, dozens even. And although I don't personally want to subject my body to them, I respect their decisions to do what they want with their person. On several occasions I've talked with many people about the myth of Roid Rage and have yet to find even a personal account amongst my network of bodybuilders and power lifters that sounds close to the typical media spin.
FatFrank 07-02-2007 08:00 PM
Benoit was my FAVORITE wrestler. Hearing this made me sad.