Manhunt 2 banned in the UK

The Question 06-20-2007 05:10 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leice...ire/6767623.stm
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/797/797657p1.html

It's also getting an AO rating in other countries.

The question is: Anybody really suprised?
The Baker St. Irregular 06-21-2007 04:02 AM
I don't know anything about the game other than the hype surrounding it at ign.com, but as someone who loves video games and hates censorship, I must say that I find that news rather disappointing, although not particularly surprising.

What I want to know is if Jack Thompson has bitched about this game yet or not.
paul1290 06-21-2007 10:02 AM
They'll probably change some things in the game to bring it down to an "M" rating before release. An AO rating would hurt sales pretty badly.
The Question 06-21-2007 12:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Baker St. Irregular
I don't know anything about the game other than the hype surrounding it at ign.com, but as someone who loves video games and hates censorship, I must say that I find that news rather disappointing, although not particularly surprising.

What I want to know is if Jack Thompson has bitched about this game yet or not.

Yup, he did.

To be honest, I really don't care. The whole reason it was banned was because there is no choice in the game other than to do the most violent thing unlike something like Bioshock, where you can kill children, but you don't have to.
Sharpshooter005 06-21-2007 04:23 PM
I'd probably care more if manhunt 1 hadn't been f***ing awful

(And I don't mean "it had awful subject matter". I mean it was a gigantic forced stealth segment. Which I'm pretty sure this will be also)

quote:
It's also getting an AO rating in other countries.

Unless they change it prior to release, which they might, this could be a publicity stunt so far. Theres probably one or two seemingly minor edits they'll throw in and the rating will drop
The Question 06-24-2007 03:46 PM
Update: Take Two Shelves Manhunt 2

quote:
We believe in freedom of creative expression

I don't really think this game is "creative expression" it would have to be original and interesting to do that. If the first game is anything to go by, it's just a "shocking" game that disguises bad gameplay with gore. Daikatana, anyone?
Inigo Montoya 06-24-2007 08:11 PM
No, Daikatana was just a bad game, period. John Romero is rightly ashamed of it.
War.
Sharpshooter005 06-24-2007 08:54 PM
quote:
John Romero is rightly ashamed of it.

He made himself his own bitch, yeah