Dear Ketel One Film Drinker...

Nine Kuze 06-19-2007 03:13 PM
I bought the latest issue of Vanity Fair that a scope about what's going on in Africa, such as policitally, entertainment wise, how celebrities are helping are locals are helping, music, books, film and other aspects like that. Its pretty cool. There's a piece with Brad Pitt interviewing Archbishop Desmond Tutu and there are 20 individual covers with people from Warren Buffet and Jay-Z to George Clooney to the Queen of Jordan.

Anyway, there's this one ad that goes a little something like this (and explains the title I came up with)...

quote:
Originally posted by Vanity Fair
DEAR KETEL ONE DRINKER; ARE THESE THE 50 BEST FILMS OF ALL-TIME?

- 2001: A Space Odyssey
- A Clockwork Orange
- American Graffiti
- Annie Hall
- Battleship Potempkin
- Ben-Hur
- The Bridge on the River Kwai
- Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
- Casablanca
- Chinatown
- Citizen Kane
- Dances With Wolves
- Doctor Zhivago
- Dr. Strangelove
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
- Easy Rider
- The French Connection
- Giant
- The Godfather: Part II
- Gone With the Wind
- GoodFellas
- The Graduate
- High Noon
- It's a Wonderful Life
- Jaws
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Midnight Cowboy
- My Fair Lady
- On the Waterfront
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
- Platoon
- Psycho
- Pulp Fiction
- Raging Bull
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Rocky
- Schindler's List
- The Searchers
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Singin' in the Rain
- Some Like It Hot
- Star Wars
- The Sound of Music
- Taxi Driver
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- Vertigo
- West Side Story
- The Wizard of Oz

*If not, what have we left off the list?

Now, I have some bones to pick with this list personally but I wanted to share this with you guys and what you thought about it. I don't know if this is Vanity Fair's own list (and if it is, a valiant effort but no on most parts) but this kind of looks like Steven Spielberg came up with this list, with his buddies George Lucas and Martin Scorsese in mind.

Anyway, don't worry about not watching all (or any, bad form) the films listed let alone knowing of them, I just want to know your take on the list. And remember, read the entire quote carefully.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 06-21-2007 08:32 PM
quote:
There's a piece with Brad Pitt interviewing Archbishop Desmond Tutu

So the guy from fight club interviewed a nobel prize winner instead of, I don't know..an actual journalist.

I CANNOT be the only person who finds this just the tiniest bit strange.

Also this seems like a pretty...standard "50 greatest" list somehow. Nothing on there particularly surprises me at all.

quote:
ARE THESE THE 50 BEST FILMS OF ALL-TIME?

I wouldn't say E.T. is, no.
Nine Kuze 06-23-2007 02:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
There's a piece with Brad Pitt interviewing Archbishop Desmond Tutu

So the guy from fight club interviewed a nobel prize winner instead of, I don't know..an actual journalist.

I CANNOT be the only person who finds this just the tiniest bit strange.

You know so, but from the interview it seemed like Pitt really knew his sh** and wasn't just another pretty boy trying to act smart. He was asking Tutu some highly regarded and specific questions about the general culture in Africa, politics in South Africa and other topics such as that. It kind of catches you off guard knowing that Pitt knows what the hell he's talking about with a Nobel Peace Winner and all.

quote:
Also this seems like a pretty...standard "50 greatest" list somehow. Nothing on there particularly surprises me at all.

Yeah it is standard and again, I don't know if this is Vanity Fair's list or what but I do have some problems with the list;

First off, films that have to go; Dances With Wolves, E.T., Jaws, My Fair Lady, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Rocky (more or less) and The Sound of Music.

I know the list is only 50 films long, but some they left out they should feel ashamed of themselves. Where the hell is Apocalypse Now? Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Double Indemnity, City Lights, The Third Man? And I thought I almost lost it when I didn't see A Streetcar Named Desire on there. Also, they have the Lean/Scorsese/Kubrick trifecta in there, but what about Hitchcock? Where's Rear Window?

Oh, and nice try, but any list that doesn't have the first Godfather is whack in my estimation.
Peace.
Inigo Montoya 06-23-2007 02:21 AM
First thing I noticed wrong. Pulp Fiction has to go.
War.
Sharpshooter005 06-23-2007 02:40 AM
quote:

Oh, and nice try, but any list that doesn't have the first Godfather is whack in my estimation.

I didn't actually realize this when I first looked at it but...what the f***?!

Maybe they were drunk when they wrote the list. Ketel one and all..oh wait, no, inebriation dosen't include losing all sense of good taste.
Nine Kuze 06-23-2007 03:05 AM
quote:
quote:

I didn't actually realize this when I first looked at it but...what the f***?!

Maybe they were drunk when they wrote the list. Ketel one and all..oh wait, no, inebriation dosen't include losing all sense of good taste.

NO NO, ITS OKAY BECAUSE WE PUT THE SECOND GODFATHER ON OUR LIST!

No, it doesn't work that way player. Is the second Godfather better? You can make a damn good argument that it is, but I don't really think so. The first set the stage and showed how a Mafia works first off and the second one for me is just for enjoyable and more comfortable (I guess) to watch.

EDIT: Oh and a couple others, Bonnie and Clyde, Reds.

DM, how you disappointed me. That's why you should leave the Oscars and the drama to me, bruh.
Peace.
Inigo Montoya 06-23-2007 03:37 AM
There was no drama to Pulp Fiction. It was Tarantino at his most idiotic and the man made From Dusk Till Dawn.
War.