So... traffic violations. Yay.

Hobodoken 06-13-2007 12:38 AM
I just (about an hour ago) got pulled over, and issued a ticket for 83 in a 55 zone.

I'm still freaking out a lot, since apparently, as a Class 1 Misdemeanor, the max I can get is a $2,500 fine, and 12 months of jail. A lot of people are telling me that it'll be reduced to 19 over, which isn't reckless anymore, and I'd just end up with a still large, but not quite as much, fine, and probably driving school. I'm also worried about telling my parents tomorrow, but I know damn well I have to, since if I end up with time, they'd have to get me pulled out of University for the semester, and any substantial fine will probably result in me owing them money, since I probably wont have nearly that much to my name by August 21st.

So.. .yeah.
SEELE 08 06-13-2007 12:45 AM
Umm ouch?
I seriously hope you don't get a massive fine or go to jail, but a lot of crimes carry penalties on the books that are more severe than they in reality are often punished with. But it is a speeding ticket, and if it's your first you more than likely won't face jail time at all. I've had freinds get tickets over and over and only end up paying like $200 per fine...after repeated offenses.
Best of luck.
Nine Kuze 06-13-2007 12:59 AM
Bad form, Hobo. Bad form.

...seriousky though, that sucks. Same thing happened to my friend certainly, I think he was doing 90 in a 50 mph limit or something. But anyway, he talked to a judge to get it reduced like you've been told yourself. You can go to court and fight the ticket but yeah, a $2,500 fine is ridiculous.

I think you should go to court and get a reduction and I've heard the same with my friends like SEELE is saying. I hardly think you'll get jail time, especially if this is your first offense but you will probably have a problem with your license though (a lot of points might go against you). Also, I was just reading it over again and... this sounds like a lot just for getting pulled over. I mean, that's all that happened right? You were drunk, under the influence or they found some drugs in your car or something right? But this really does sound excessive.

Anyway good luck man, and I really don't think you'll be punished that severely.
Peace.
Hobodoken 06-13-2007 01:03 AM
I wasn't drunk or anything. It's just that 20+ over is reckless driving, apparently.
Nine Kuze 06-13-2007 01:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken
I wasn't drunk or anything. It's just that 20+ over is reckless driving, apparently.

If that's the case, then yeah. You can go to court and get that reduced.

I've had numerous of friends who've done the same thing. I'm not sure about the fine, but you won't go to jail and you'll hardly have to be pulled out of school as a result either. I think you might face some points on your license either way though, but still, it could be worse.
Peace.
SEELE 08 06-13-2007 01:12 AM
If you do go to court...don't make the mistake of the idiot that was on trial made when I was selected for Jury duty pool. He smiled and waved at everyone in the courtroom.
Nine Kuze 06-13-2007 01:15 AM
SEELE, what are you talking about?
Peace.
SEELE 08 06-13-2007 01:22 AM
About what not to do in front of the judge...certain behaviours don't help...
Sharpshooter005 06-13-2007 03:16 AM
Apparently you can't drive fifty-FIIIIIIVEEEEE
X Prime 06-13-2007 03:27 AM
The worst thing you could possibly do is not go to court and keep yourself composed in front of the judge.

That is really all there is to say. I pity your insurance premiums though.
Sharpshooter005 06-13-2007 06:00 AM
The race card. Play it and stick with it.

Also, halfway through your defense, act like an invisible bird is attacking you, then loudly claim the officer who pulled you over put a hex on you.
paul1290 06-13-2007 08:51 AM
How did you not notice that you were exceeding the speed limit by so much?

I'm guessing there weren't any cars ahead of you so you didn't know you were going that fast because you usually match the speed of the car in front of you in order to stay under the speed limit. Correct me If I'm wrong. I'm just guessing that because I've seen it happen a lot.

Anyway, if you know of any unusual circumstances that may have prevented you from knowing your actual speed then you should write them down. They might help in your defence.
Sharpshooter005 06-13-2007 05:48 PM
Were you ghostriding the whip
Hobodoken 06-13-2007 07:11 PM
There was no ghostriding, nor can I play the race card. I mean, if it was back when the Irish were hated, I could try that, but then I'd probably just dig my hole deeper.

Anywho, thanks for the advice, nearly everyone I've talked to is sure it'll end up with me getting a reduced sentence, so I'm not nearly as worried as I had been.
Mike 06-13-2007 07:53 PM
This was obviously not in Jersey. Here 85 in a 55 is the norm.

Seriously though, that sucks. I hope you can get it down.
Sharpshooter005 06-13-2007 08:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

Thats because someone following you off an exit only to bludgeon you for what they precieved to be cutting them off is acceptable in Jersey. It's less a matter of traffic laws and more...our states pretty much the road warrior. I dont mean that pejoratively I dont think either.
evanASF27 06-13-2007 08:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

Seriously though, that sucks. I hope you can get it down.

I was about to say...

Was this on the open highway going with the flow of traffic... or were doing this lonewolf style on a pretty empty road?
Normally the traffic moves around 70+ to and from PA (that's with a 65 or 55 limit too) and a person will only be pulled over for doing like 90+ or weaving through traffic. Personally I think doing 80 is pushing it... but that's personal preference talkin.

That fine (and I really hope no jail time) really sucks dude. Frown

(For the record New Jersey drivers are more dangerous by nature Tongue I mean, holy CRAP. lol)
Hobodoken 06-13-2007 09:25 PM
It was on the DC Beltway, 12:30 AM, almost no traffic.

I had been in the left-most lane since I got onto I-495 from 66, and actually saw a dead deer lain out next to the median.

But yeah, people are pretty sure I just got caught by cops who are trying to bust the drunk high school kids who just graduated this/last week.