We need a thread on this

Sharpshooter005 06-12-2007 02:51 AM
It's a cultural touchstone lately....

The Sopranos finale. This thread is for discussing it. I'm sure SOMEONE has to have watched it (comeon, at least I know I have some fellow New Jerseyites on here).

Reactions, discussion of it, mourning for the fact that theres no more now, oh god what do we watch now. All of that goes here.

First? My interpretation of the ending..that infamous ending (spoiler tags cause I'm kind like that).

spoiler (highlight to read):
Tony didn't die. Meadow didn't die. A.J. didn't die though I wish the whiny idiot had, Carmela didn't die. Nobody died. The last scene was just a window into Tony's world. A constant purgatory of looking towards the door of that restaurant, and indeed everywhere he ever went, wondering if the next person to come in would be his killer or the cops coming to bring him in, or just another person. End of story, he won the war with Phil but the price he payed is eternally having to remain on edge.
I found it the perfect sendoff for the series.

Now some links

The opening (best I could find, ignore the part where it goes "LOS SOPRANOS" at the end, I guess this is from foreign syndication)

The final 9 episodes promo, containing a rundown of the casualties throughout the show (granted, some from the last episodes are missing...)

Here's a seven minute recap of the series up to the beginning of the end. Ralph's kid seriously does play the dumbest game in the world.

Furio, the Russian, and the ducks never come back. If you care that much about them, heres hoping for a spinoff where they team up and have zany adventures...hell, if David Chase made that, I'd watch.

EDIT: Oh god how did I forget this.

Here's Alan Sepinwall of the Star Ledger's interview with the creator of the show, David Chase, about the finale

Also, if you like this show, go read as many of Mr. Sepinwall's articles about the series as you possibly can. They're wonderful, he's rightfully showed up on pretty much every news story (I told you it was a cultural touchstone) about the show/finale. If nothing else, you'll stumble onto seemingly obvious things about the episodes you maybe didn't realize prior to reading said articles.
Tickle Tickle 06-12-2007 09:22 PM
Hated the ending. Actually, the ending doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is the sudden cut at the end.

Somone opens a door, and Tony looks. CUT. Serious, how freaking awful is that? And why the hell did it take her like an HOUR to park?!
Mike 06-13-2007 12:50 AM
The abrupt cut was...yeah.

I agree with Sharp. We got a brief look into Tony's head, and his paranoia, and then business as usual.

As for the parking...it builds tension. Just like everything in the whole episode.
Sharpshooter005 06-13-2007 03:11 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tickle Tickle
And why the hell did it take her like an HOUR to park?!

She's basically a nitwit whos dependent entirely on her pseudo-mob fiance and she's deluded herself completely into thinking the mafia is somehow oppressed. Basically, she becomes carmela version 2.0
Hollow XXVI 06-13-2007 10:45 PM
Okay, so Soprano fans are just as weird as Lost fans. Just making sure.
Mike 06-13-2007 11:25 PM
Oh, hell yeah. Whenever Tony has a dream, be it a bad-seafood-induced nightmare or a gunshot coma, it's full of as much symbolism as a whole stack of Lost flashbacks.
Sharpshooter005 06-13-2007 11:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hollow XXVI
Okay, so Soprano fans are just as weird as Lost fans. Just making sure.

No this show actually had a plot

quote:
it's full of as much symbolism as a whole stack of Lost flashbacks.

My favorite part of this show. After....I forget which episode, I believe it was a season finale, extended dream sequence (at one point Tony is on a horse). Curtis and Kuby, this AM talk radio show based out of new york which I used to listen to constantly on the way to school when I lived in Jersey, diverged completely from news/politics to just have both hosts and the callers debating interpretations of the episode.

It was hysterical and sort of awesome.

edit: I just realized a better title for this thread maybe would have been "some will win, some will lose, some are born to think their cable cut out"

...If you saw it you get it, yeah