The PCF Film Recommendation Collection

Nine Kuze 06-09-2007 11:10 PM
I've been meaning to make this for a while, and the basis of the thread is basically I got the idea from the Critertion Collection of Film. They have a collection of films that they release that would otherwise, not have been seen by the majority of the film public. Films like Bicycle Thieves, Ikiru, Traffic and Hamlet.

Anyway, I was wondering what a collection of films from PCF would look like and that's where we are now. Basically the thread works like this, recommend a film (or films, no limit really) to the rest of members here that you have seen, give a little summary about the film (what's it about, who directed, who's in it, etc, etc...) and we others here might like. I thought it would be cool to give it a shot and I'll start of first;

quote:
Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
Directed by Guillermo Del Toro, Pan's Labyrinth is about a young girl who is living in new Fascist Spain in 1944 during World War II with her pregnant mother when they move to live with the Spanish Captain Vidal. There she meets a faun and is told to go perform three tasks, one more surreal than the last as the country rebels fight against the Spanish Fascists in the backdrop.

Starring Ivana Baquero, Maribel Verdu and Sergi Lopez, Pan's Labyrinth is a visual and photographic wonder. With stellar performances all around, stunning cinematography, score and costumes, Pan is able to captivate the watcher with its looks and members here would like it because of its original story and how its able to move from fantasy world to war torn country who effectively. To sum it up very briefly, its like a darker and more realistic version of Spirited Away set in Japan.

quote:
A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Directed by Elia Kazan, this is one of the first daring films to be made in American cinema. It was adapted from the play of writer Tennessee Williams and was also a Broadway hit. Set in the backdrop of New Orleans, Blanche DeBois from Atlanta come to the Big Easy to live with her sister, Stella, after she has fallen on hard times. Being stuck in her old Southern ways, she finds trying to start a new life difficult. Especially when confronted with Stella's testerone driven husband, Stanley Kowalski.

The film has some of the best overall performances that you will ever see. Lead by Marlon Brando and Vivien Leigh, the cast also has Kim Hunter and Karl Malden and they are given enough time to provide you with enough of their characters to keep you interested. The film's main character, played by Brando, is the engine for the whole film but Kazan does a remarkable job of keep everything going even when he's not on screen. Its an incredible film that I called "poetic anger" and Brando's performance is one of best you'll ever see.

...so yeah, something like that. It doesn't have to that detailed really and you can do as many film as you want but yeah. Just recommend some movies for others here that you'd think we would like to see.

So, anybody up for it at all?
Peace.
Generalissimo D 06-10-2007 12:02 AM
Casablanca and the Maltese Falcon, for no other reason than to see Bogart mistreat Peter Loree
Nine Kuze 06-19-2007 01:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Call Me D. Just D. The D.
Casablanca and the Maltese Falcon, for no other reason than to see Bogart mistreat Peter Loree

Yeah.

Yeah, see this. This is how you aren't suppose to do it. This example is biased, doesn't say anything about the films and not why members here at PCF would like it. Besides, those are classic, well known films and you don't know sh** about films if you haven't seen those (and if you haven't, for shame).

Besides D, Bogart > Lorre. That's textbook, man. The same as DeNiro > Pesci and Nine > Zaphod. I mean, come on man.

So, anyone want to give it a shot and try recommending some films to the PCF family here? Don't be shy, you can recommend and comment on any film you want too.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 06-19-2007 01:53 AM
Ever watch Eureka 7?

Ever wonder "what if Eureka 7 was actually good, and also it was in Russian"?

It'd probably be this (probably since...I just kind of assumed the plot/ending to that show from how you people raved about it)

Solaris (1972)

Also if you don't 'get' this movie on the first viewing thats okay.

edit: Oh yeah. Despite this seeming like/being often described as science fiction. It seriously isn't. Nor is it the soviet answer to 2001, which apparently Tarkovsky hated. In fact he even said this one was kind of a failure since according to him it didn't "escape" the sci fi genre sufficiently enough for his liking.