Degrassi

Wazpy 06-01-2007 11:28 PM
Anyone else watch Degrassi?

Oh man... that show goes places so hard. Soon it'll run out of places to go. I've never seen so many kids with problems in my life.
Sharpshooter005 06-02-2007 12:17 AM
Oh wonderful, a Canadian show about whining highschoolers.
Wazpy 06-02-2007 12:47 AM
They don't whine really. These kids have serious issues. A guy coming down with cancer is only a minor subplot... that's how dense the main storyline is.
Inigo Montoya 06-02-2007 12:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005

Yeah, we Americans already went through that phase.
War.
Hollow XXVI 06-02-2007 02:52 AM
I can't stand how "edgy" it tries to be.
Inigo Montoya 06-02-2007 03:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Hollow XXVI

You have cancer, you have AIDS, I'm gay, and I'm banging your underage sister.

Oh, and your father was raped and killed by Santa.
War.
The Big Finale 06-02-2007 03:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Dungeon Master
War.

Guess dad was on the naughty list this year.
Hollow XXVI 06-02-2007 03:47 AM
quote:
quote:

You have cancer, you have AIDS, I'm gay, and I'm banging your underage sister.

War.

The only way I can reply to this is

what

Also this sounds like a teen soap opera.
Wazpy 06-02-2007 10:03 AM
quote:
Also this sounds like a teen soap opera.

It's like 10 times more than that. I like watching it just to see what sensitive issue they'll tackle next for no specific reason. It's so much fun for taking bets. Example:

"What do you think the secret about her dad is?"
"I bet he's gay."
"I bet he's dead."
"I bet he raped her mother."
"I be he beats her."

One of those will always be right... except for the time the father was brain damaged. That one went there... just like they all do.
Nine Kuze 06-02-2007 01:31 PM
Why do we have a Degrassi thread? No offense to Wazpy or anything but I didn't even know it was still on the air and such.

quote:

It makes Neon Genesis Evangelion look like Saved By the Bell. Its that over the top in melodrama. Wait, there Canadian? I didn't know this.

quote:
Originally posted by The Big Finale
quote:
War.

Guess dad was on the naughty list this year.

AHAHAHAHA! Nice Finale, somethin' so nice.

quote:

Its pretty bad, yeah. They shove so many issues in your face, its not even funny. The last time I watched it, the daughter was facing problems with her mother f***ing her teacher, two kids were dealing with the fact that theguy knocked the girl up, one girl was facing the dilemma of her maybe being a lesbian and got homosexual advice from Kevin Smith (yeah, the fat director of Clerks) of all places and other stuff but yeah. The point is; it tries to show you all these controversial topics and trying to show how kids dealing with them.

But eventually all it does is hit you over the head with a sledgehammer made of overdramatic bullsh** and to hide the evidence, it just turns the characters' problems up even moreand hopes you don't notice the dying body in the corner.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 06-02-2007 10:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
"What do you think the secret about her dad is?"
"I bet he's gay."
"I bet he's dead."
"I bet he raped her mother."
"I be he beats her."

One of those will always be right... except for the time the father was brain damaged. That one went there... just like they all do.

So is this INTENTIONALLY a comedy or does it just somehow wind up that way.

quote:
It makes Neon Genesis Evangelion look like Saved By the Bell. Its that over the top in melodrama. Wait, there Canadian? I didn't know this.

I was just thinking how this sounds like the "OH GOD ITS RAPING MY MIIIIIIIIIND" scene from evangelion except an entire show.

And of course its Canadian...this surprises you in the least?
Inigo Montoya 06-02-2007 11:07 PM
Canadians made Kids in the Hall.

After that I knew that nation above was making some insidious plan to stupid our nation to death.

I've got my eyes on you, "neighbor."
War.
Wazpy 06-03-2007 10:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Why do we have a Degrassi thread? No offense to Wazpy or anything but I didn't even know it was still on the air and such.

quote:

Nah. This show isn't like wining kids in an anime. Shows like Gundam actually get on my nerves because they claim to be about cool mechs but actually end up focusing on crying teenagers. The mechs are arbitrary in some series.

Degrassi knows what it's focus is and exploits it for maximum hillarity. When it "goes there" it is like a train that's picking up momentum and starts "going there" at an accelerated pace.

Picture this example. The mother of the main character was attacked by the brain damaged father of her child who had escaped from a mental hospital. The attack occurs at the same time she is delivering another baby (Who belongs to a guy who was friends with the brain damaged man in high school) in her own home.
That is only a minor example of "going there."
Nine Kuze 06-06-2007 01:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
[quote]Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Degrassi knows what it's focus is and exploits it for maximum hillarity. When it "goes there" it is like a train that's picking up momentum and starts "going there" at an accelerated pace.

Picture this example. The mother of the main character was attacked by the brain damaged father of her child who had escaped from a mental hospital. The attack occurs at the same time she is delivering another baby (Who belongs to a guy who was friends with the brain damaged man in high school) in her own home.
That is only a minor example of "going there."

And that's kind of what I'm talking about. Its like someone took a day soap from Lifetime, a weak Hollywood script and asked Steven Spielberg what they can do to manipulate the audience with so many events that they won't know what hit them.

Giving the characters that many issues to deal with is way too much. Unless you've been keeping up with the story that far, no one going to put in the energy to give about all that. That's like manipulting the audience to such a degree that you are forced to care about them, just because of all the melodramatic issues and whatnot.

Its almost insulting to a degree.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 06-09-2007 05:12 PM
quote:

So..it's like the most recent season of 24, except WITHOUT the ability to go "..but EVENTUALLY something awesome happens, correct?"

(I still love that show, 24 not this canadian drivel, but lets face it after the nuke went off it started sliding unfortunately)
Dude Love 06-09-2007 06:34 PM
Sliding is an understatement, Sharpie. I think the writers were testing to see just how rabidly loyal the fans are.
Sharpshooter005 06-19-2007 02:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dude Love
Sliding is an understatement, Sharpie. I think the writers were testing to see just how rabidly loyal the fans are.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

(..Oh wait that show got bad at the end, nevermind)