Blizzard Announces... Starcraft 2!!

R.Smith 05-19-2007 07:21 AM
Official website

Info on Blizzard's Worldwide Invitational

Screencaps on Korean Site

Video on Korean Site

YouTube Video

IGN Screens

Looks pretty sweet. I was wondering if they'd ever make it. Though the designs look a little too... "cartoony/stocky"?
The Ghost of Ember 05-19-2007 09:29 AM
Yeah, I was pretty much up all night following this. Pretty wired now. Woo! And stuff. Seriously it's awesome. I've heard the complaint about it seeming somewhat cartoony from some others, and I can't say I really agree. I mean, when you get down to it StarCraft itself was pretty cartoony when it came to the actual unit graphics.

One thing I am concerned about after watching the demo is that they seem to be taking unit counters to a whole new extreme. I'm also curious how they're going to balance things with the early unit's being so enhanced by these abilities we saw. Probably by making them late game upgrades, but whatever.

The super-protoss unit of the Mothership seems to both make sense in the canon but also be a dangerous game play element. If every race has one uber-unit we might be falling close to WarCraft Three's heroes, a fate I very much want to avoid.

I am supremely disappointed that we did not see a Hydralisk or a Carrier in the demo. These are some of the staple units Blizzard!

Mostly though I'm very optimistic. I'm also very much looking forward to the Campaign, probably moreso than I am the multiplayer (never was terribly good at the game, no matter how much I enjoyed it).

Also: Nuke Cola in one of the screens. Fallout references for teh win amirite?
Dangerous 05-19-2007 09:35 AM
Excellent !!!!I have been waiting for this game since 1999 after Brood War. I even sent two mails (I don't mean e-mails) to the Blizzard Entertainment center in San Francisco for Starcraft 2.

I especially broke the ears of the Starcraft fans to make the continuing saga.

Well, I am haaaaaaaappy !!!!

Will there be a fourth race ? Like the Xel Naga or the protoss zerg hybrids ?

Where does Samir Souleyman come from according to you ? From Samir Duran !!!!
The Question 05-19-2007 09:55 AM
Looks OK, I'm not really a huge fan of starcraft or warcraft but I can imagine this makes alot of people quite happy. Hopefully, they'll get rid of the omnipresent AI in skirmish mode.
Big Money 05-19-2007 10:30 AM
There goes my college career...
Mike 05-19-2007 10:30 AM
Wow. Looks awesome^2. Unfortunately, I really sucked at Starcraft 1, no matter how hard I tried.

I agree with Ember about the heroes. I didn't really like the RPGification of Warcraft 3. And I sucked even worse at that.

And of course they announce it in Korea. I think playing at least 3 hours of Starcraft a day is required by law there.
Dangerous 05-19-2007 11:05 AM
I sucked in starcraft one too, from my beginning in 1998 to today ! Big Grin

I had nicknames for my registration : noobseybot and noobsey !
Lord Ender von Hellsing 05-19-2007 12:30 PM
About freakin' time they made it. I knew that Jimmy hadn't had his last word Wink . <anxious to see the game>
And I must disagree with the rest - After Warcraft 3 a RTS must have some RPG mixed at least, I missed that element in Dawn of War...
Sharpshooter005 05-19-2007 02:05 PM
Hated starcraft, wasn't very good at it.

Also I wonder if they'll abandon patching this in favor of adding new rat killing quests to WoW.
Mike 05-19-2007 02:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Hated starcraft, wasn't very good at it.

Also I wonder if they'll like abandon patching this in favor of adding new rat killing quests to WoW.

That's what they did with Diablo 2, so...probably yes.
Sharpshooter005 05-19-2007 02:26 PM
In news that matters, deus ex 3 was announced.

I'd find the article and make a thread but..you know...effort.

Also fallout 3 but thats been known about a while
Hobodoken 05-19-2007 02:36 PM
Very awesome indeed.

But, with only having info on four units and a building...

Can't say too much on it.

I've heard a few people complaining that Blizz should implament the Squad system, but since Blizzard has yet to use it in any of their games, and I doubt they want to alienate anyone from SC2, I'm doubting it'll be in it.
Generalissimo D 05-19-2007 02:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken
I've heard a few people complaining that Blizz should implament the Squad system, but since Blizzard has yet to use it in any of their games, and I doubt they want to alienate anyone from SC2, I'm doubting it'll be in it.

f*** them. Squads ftw.

The cinematic trailer ended really cool like and all.
Sharpshooter005 05-19-2007 02:52 PM
They'll probably put in those hero units from WC3 which apparently everyone hated.

Either way, the korean government will pretty much just issue this game to its citizens.
Hienrich Ele 05-19-2007 03:31 PM
I was following along with this, and sort of semi hoping it was going to be a Starcraft MMO (OMGZ BLASPHEMY I know!) but this is ok... I guess!

Now we just all gotta wait until 2010, or later, seeing as how Blizzard has a wonderful track record on releases!
Generalissimo D 05-19-2007 03:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hienrich Ele
Now we just all gotta wait until 2010, or later, seeing as how Blizzard has a wonderful track record on releases!

I'm hoping for a Starcraft: Ghost and Duke Nukem Forever bundle, myself.
X Prime 05-19-2007 03:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
In news that matters, deus ex 3 was announced.

The thread should be renamed to predominantly honor such an obviously superior franchise.
Dangerous 05-19-2007 04:20 PM
It will take years until we will be able to play with this game. Indeed, we'll have to wait until 2010 to play. So .... two years and a half we'll play to Starcraft II.

I have waited nearly ten years for this game, so two more years, I don't care ....

Mad
Mike 05-19-2007 05:14 PM
Hero units are fine, I didn't like how they leveled up and basically fought the war by themselves.

...now that I think about it, I think I was using hero units completely wrong.
Sharpshooter005 05-19-2007 08:18 PM
quote:
Indeed, we'll have to wait until 2010 to play.

...Isn't 2010 when the mayan calander switches over to a new age or something?

Goddamn. I knew I hated world of warcraft but I never figured blizzard would somehow mess with civilization

(Oh wait it was 2012 wasnt it)