Swords!

re-animate 04-23-2007 10:00 PM
Ive been doing kendo/sword fighting for a few years now. My choice weapon is a Great Katana/Dai-Katana/No-Dachi.

Just curious if anyone here is into swordfighting for real.

My crown weapon i own is a fully battle ready Great Odachi. 72" long with a 50.5 inch blade and 21" handle. Its full tang and was forged with military grade high carbon steel useing the tsukurikomi method. Ive done a handful of displays in it, but i have yet to own a full set of traditional Samurai armor. It is a real mans weapon!

Anyways, i also preform decently with katana's, kukiri, crecent blades, and fencing swords.

I did teach a class for a small time on the use of a No-Dachi, but not many are too interested in weilding such a huge and encumbersome weapon.

Here is a picture of a very similar No-Dachi. Ill have to get a picture of mine as soon as i get my camera working.

And again i cant upload an image, so here is a link!
Ace of Spades 04-24-2007 12:49 AM
I'm doing Iiado right now.
Inigo Montoya 04-24-2007 01:47 AM
I tried kendo for a spot, didn't have a particular interest in it. However, several of the arts martial have. I still pursue Tai Chi, learning the fluid motions of the different sword katas that use the Chinese jian. I also study much of Western swordsmanship and swordplay, as well as focusing on other weapons. You know, a horseman's mace isn't actually as easy to master as "Ugg. Smash. UGGHH."

I quite enjoy, however, studying different forms of unarmed martial arts. Not grappling, but strikes and impacts. Hopefully when my leg is completely better I can get back into them all.

Until then, I can continue to learn how to use various weapons of different ethnicities and histories.
re-animate 04-24-2007 06:35 AM
Thats really cool DM.

Personally, since i was little, ive had a facination with blades. Especailly big ones.

So thusly i am slowly trying to master the No-Dachi. Instead of basic samurai sweeps, cuts, and jabs that are normally taught in this art, i add my own style. I use fuller sweeping motions and more fluid cuts. Putting more body movement into my sword, i can easily feint and counter-balence where most people would stumble with such a large weapon. Not a lot of people like it, in fact i always get cirtisizms. However in the sparring ring, i tend to prove those critisizms wrong.

For unarmed combat, the only taining i have for that is some old boxing/kickboxing and Zui Quan (Drunken Kung Fu for the layman). I accel more at Zui Quan than boxing, however im not that talented with it. Its more to assist with my swordfghting balence and stance.
Inigo Montoya 04-24-2007 01:11 PM
Heh. I use Muay Thai to add power to my unarmed strikes, but one of my favorite weapons to use is the flail. I find most people are convinced of its equal status to a sword when I can wrap the chain around their blade and then let loose a sudden kick at their exposed ribcage.
War.
Ace of Spades 04-24-2007 01:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Dungeon Master
Heh. I use Muay Thai to add power to my unarmed strikes, but one of my favorite weapons to use is the flail. I find most people are convinced of its equal status to a sword when I can wrap the chain around their blade and then let loose a sudden kick at their exposed ribcage.
Waf.

The poor retards that believe that idea. A flail or mace is not even equal to that of a sword.
Inigo Montoya 04-24-2007 02:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ace of Spades

The poor retards that believe that idea. A flail or mace is not even equal to that of a sword.

How could you say that? A sword is good for stabby stab and cuttin', true, but when you need things cracked open like a walnut, you'll be hard pressed to find something better than a steel body morningstar.
War.
re-animate 04-24-2007 05:03 PM
... My Odachi can crumple a man 7 feet tall.

Its so large and heavy, it deals crushing blow AS WELL AS cuting.

i think it weighs... 14 pounds?
Sharpshooter005 04-24-2007 05:33 PM
quote:

What if its a hand and a half sword. From what I understand wouldn't they periodically grab it by the blade and just smash the hilt down on an opponent to knock them over, which was sort of easy due to the weight of plate mail.

Then again I'm talking about Europe so yeah. Different armor I'd guess
Inigo Montoya 04-24-2007 09:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by re-animate
... My Odachi can crumple a man 7 feet tall.

Its so large and heavy, it deals crushing blow AS WELL AS cuting.

i think it weighs... 14 pounds?

My Warhammer is about 18 pounds and is much fun. Cutting is well and good, but unnecessary when you turn an armoured foe into an oversized soda can against your hammer.

Yes, Sharp, the bastard sword was an excellent weapon against foes armoured in field plate. However, I still enjoy utilizing decent blunt objects. There's a reason they were made.

An the jian is a most excellent one-handed longsword for its speed and versatility. I wonder if anyone besides me practices it.
War.
re-animate 04-24-2007 10:22 PM
quote:
My Warhammer is about 18 pounds and is much fun. Cutting is well and good, but unnecessary when you turn an armoured foe into an oversized soda can against your hammer.

Yes, Sharp, the bastard sword was an excellent weapon against foes armoured in field plate. However, I still enjoy utilizing decent blunt objects. There's a reason they were made.

An the jian is a most excellent one-handed longsword for its speed and versatility. I wonder if anyone besides me practices it.
War.

Well here is the lovely part... the enimy would have to be in metal armor in order to repel a blow from a Odachi. However an opponent in metal armor would be slow correct? thanks to the thick size of its tip, an Odachi can easily peirce through a metal breastplate (assuming the foe is not wearing military grade carbon steel) and still have the the reach to keep myself out of regular attack weapons of that sort.

As for work with a one hand longsword i did a small amount. typically with sheild in off-hand.
Inigo Montoya 04-24-2007 11:00 PM
Sword-and-Shield is a very Western style, Re. I personally like it, though I've started to grow attached to unarmed attacks. In those cases, I'll use gauntlets of varying types to protect my poor fleshy digits and extremities.
War.
re-animate 04-24-2007 11:08 PM
quote:
Sword-and-Shield is a very Western style, Re. I personally like it, though I've started to grow attached to unarmed attacks. In those cases, I'll use gauntlets of varying types to protect my poor fleshy digits and extremities.
War.

Gauntlets covers in razors and laced with poison? Cant lose when you have death-hands.

Oh, and domnt call me re, call me roan Tongue
Ace of Spades 04-25-2007 12:56 AM
quote:
quote:

How could you say that? A sword is good for stabby stab and cuttin', true, but when you need things cracked open like a walnut, you'll be hard pressed to find something better than a steel body morningstar.
War.

The only blade thats going to cut through something such as plate armor would be an axe. For beating some foolish mutant that needs to be clubbed to death and left bleeding in the moonlight. You'd want to go with a one handed mace....
Inigo Montoya 04-25-2007 06:40 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:

War.

The only blade thats going to cut through something such as plate armor would be an axe. For beating some foolish mutant that needs to be clubbed to death and left bleeding in the moonlight. You'd want to go with a one handed mace....

That's what I said. A one-handed mace? Those are great, yeah, but a morning star also tears open the armor if if it's made and used properly.

No poisoned razor gauntlets, Roan. More like reinforced fronts and backs for heavy power in a right hook or a backhand.
War.
re-animate 04-25-2007 07:50 PM
quote:
No poisoned razor gauntlets, Roan. More like reinforced fronts and backs for heavy power in a right hook or a backhand.
War.

Awww no fun. What do you think about Katars? Since you like hand to hand combat, a katar in the right hands could turn the enemy to mince. Or are you more of a knucle or cestus fan?
Inigo Montoya 04-25-2007 10:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by re-animate
quote:
War.

Awww no fun. What do you think about Katars? Since you like hand to hand combat, a katar in the right hands could turn the enemy to mince. Or are you more of a knucle or cestus fan?

Katars are truly a powerful weapon in the hands of a properly trained fighter, though yes, I usually prefer knuckles or cestus. I also want to get a set of reinforced boots that use a steel reinforcement in the heel and knife.
War.
dawnstrider 04-26-2007 12:37 PM
I've always been kind of interested in learning some form of fencing, and when I was younger, I had a strange fascination with owning a rapier. I do, however, know how to fight with and throw knives accurately (it’s a Jamaican thing Tongue ).

Peace Cool .
StevieV019 04-29-2007 02:16 AM
Since I have a background in kung fu, I have some experience with the chinese saber and the straight sword. Though, mainly from practicing in forms and such. Although, I do own a couple of swords...I have an attraction to them...an elegant but deadly weapon...
Inigo Montoya 04-29-2007 02:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
...an elegant but deadly weapon...

This is very true. It is quite a thing to see a swordsman go through the forms, and still another to see two skilled swordsmen demonstrating combat. Though there is still something to be said for the brutal elegance of catching your opponent with a kick to the side of the head that both lifts him into the air and sends him spinning before he hits the ground.
War.