:: The Official Academy Animated Awards - Vote Two For 2005's Best Motion Picture! ::

Nine Kuze 04-21-2007 06:12 PM
Welcome to a special edition of the Academy Animated Awards! This thread is for voting of Best Motion Picture in 2005, since the category is the newest one and came into play on the second annual AAA's last year.

Its the same routine as the rest of the threads for the AAA's; there are four nominees that have been narrowed down from a long list of contenders and you, a member of the voting Paradigm City Forums, get to vote for two of your most deserving films for 2005's Best Motion Picture.

:: The Constant Gardener ::
Directed by Fernando Meirelles, starring Rachel Weisz, Ralph Fiennes, Danny Huston, Hubert Koundé
Awards: Oscar for Best Supporting Actress, nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Editing, Best Original Score

Based on the best-selling John le Carré novel and from the Academy Award-nominated director of "City of God." In a remote area of Northern Kenya, activist Tessa Quayle is found brutally murdered. Tessa's companion, a doctor, appears to have fled the scene, and the evidence points to a crime of passion. Haunted by remorse and jarred by rumors of his late wife's infidelities, British dipolmat Justin Quayle surprises everyone involved by embarking on a personal odyssey that will take him across three continents. Using his privileged access to diplomatic secrets, he will risk his own life, stopping at nothing to uncover and expose the truth - a conspiracy more far-reaching and deadly than Quayle could ever have imagined.

:: Hero ::
Directed by Zhang Yimou, starring Jet Li, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Maggie Chueng, Ziyi Zhang
Awards: Oscar nomination for Best Foreign Picture, Winner of 7 Hong Kong Film Awards

Near the end of the "Warring Kingdoms" period of China over 2000 years ago, the Nation of Zhao has three WuXia masters; Sky, Broken Sword, and Flying Snow. Because of them, King of Qin, ruler of Nation of Qin, was not able to sleep properly for ten years worrying about attempts to kill him. Yet all three were defeated by a minor Qin official by the name of Nameless. Immediately summoned by the King afterwards, Nameless tells his tale about how he was able to use the weaknesses of three WuXia masters against themselves, and defeated them separately. However King of Qin is a master strategist, and he recognized the inconsistencies within Nameless's story. The true story is then revealed to be the three WuXia masters allowed themselves to be defeated, in order to get Nameless into ten steps of the King. Nameless is most dangerous assassin of all.

:: Ray ::
Directed by Taylor Hackford, starring Jamie Foxx, Kerry Washington, Reging King, Sharon Warren
Awards: Oscar for Best Actor, Best Sound Mixing, nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Editing, Best Costume Design

The extraordinary life story of Ray Charles, a man who fought harder and went farther than anyone thought possible. Being born into poverty in North Florida, Charles went blind at the age of 7 and was able to develop the fierce resolve, wit and incredible talent that would eventually enable him to overcome not only Jim Crow Racism and the cruel prejudices against the blind, but also discover his own sound which revolutionized American popular music. Nonetheless, as Ray's unprecedented fame grew, so did his weakness for drugs and women until they threatened to strip away the very things he held most dear. But with the memory and support of his determined single mother, he was successful in his struggle to excel in a sighted world and his eventual defeat of his own personal demons.

:: Sin City ::
Directed by Robert Rodriguez w/Frank Miller, starring Mickey Rouke, Rosario Dawson, Clive Owen, Jessica Alba
Awards: Winner of more than 15 awards

A striking and faithful adaptation of Frank Miller's popular graphic novel set in the notoriusly dark realm, Basin 'Sin' City is infested with criminals, crooked cops and sexy dames, some searching for vengeance, some for redemption and others, both. A collection of interweaving stories all based in the corrupt, crime infested hell-hole focus around a muscular brute who violently searches for the person responsible for the death of his beloved prostitute, a man fed up with Sin City's corrupt law enforcement who takes the law into his own hands after a horrible mistake and a cop who was incarcerated for a crime he didn't commit, risks his life to protect a loving girl from a deformed pedophile.

Remember, vote for your two best film from the four given nominees above and also check into the 2007 Academy Animated Awards event this November.
Peace.
Inigo Montoya 04-22-2007 11:56 PM
Thought about it, watched all four of them again, just to be fair, m'man. In the end, though, I had to go with Hero and Sin City. Just something about them. Sin City especially. I'm a Frank Miller fan from the Daredevil days and seeing this on the wide screen made my heart sing. To see it done in such a masterful way? Absolutely. Hero? The stories and legends of China's Warring Kingdoms time always fascinated me, and this portrayed very well. The action is nearly poetic in its execution.

So there we go, my two bits for best movie.
War.
Nine Kuze 05-05-2007 12:38 PM
Not too many votes, not surprising but that's alright. With The Constant Gardener, its a small indie thriller that was a surprise hit in the summer of 2005 with award winning caliber acting, directing and writing that has nothing to do with either Marvel or Frank Miller.

So yeah, I kind of knew it was screwed from the start just from that.

Also Ray was one of the best musicals that came out recently (bad form Dreamgirls/Chicago, bad form) with Foxx's performance although more of an impersonation with Ray Charles in and out of the film myself sometime was still f***ing electric nonetheless. So there's my two.

EDIT: I'll probably end the voting for this by the time I get rocking on the current awards event which should be next month, so yeah. Come on in and vote in the poll if you haven't already. And thanks for replyin', DM.
Peace.