WWII reference question (see post)

evanASF27 04-19-2007 02:42 AM
Whilst doing a report on old cartoons I came across a WWII reference in one of the cartoon shorts which I cannot identify. Now, I've seen ration card references in shorts like the Bugs vs. Gremlin one, and also plenty of air raid and other such references... but this one's got me stumped.

Here's the context of the reference (which might help):
Bugs Bunny is being shot at by a dim-witted hunter (not Elmer for a change)... he ducks into a hole and the bullets chase him. Bugs and the bullets leap from hole to hole but when they reach THIS one which has an "8" sign next to it (seen below) Bugs stops, places the "FAKE" sign there and then runs off... leaving the bullets obviously confused.

I'm *pretty* sure that this is a war reference... since it doesn't seem like a golf reference. Of course I could be very wrong...
If anybody could shed some light on the reference, I'd appreciate it Smile
Sharpshooter005 04-19-2007 03:34 AM
quote:

I'm *pretty* sure that this is a war reference... since it doesn't seem like a golf reference. Of course I could be very wrong..

I immidiately assumed it was a golf reference, and the 8 referred to the 8th hole.

Also yeah every ww2 era cartoon I've ever seen which specifically dealt with the war wasn't trying for any sort of subtlety so...I don't see this relating to the war in any way I can really think of
Capt. Quekolis 04-26-2007 10:54 PM
Its probably in reference to during WW2 particulary before operation over lord the allies made fake armies make of inflatable tanks and trucks to confuse the Nazis.
re-animate 04-27-2007 10:14 AM
Maby, back in those days, golf was more cut-throat. Perhaps when a few were out golfing, they would try to sabatoge (sp?) eachother by putting fake holes on the green to con fuse others! and instead of golf balls they used bullets!

Honestly, i dont see any semblance to WWII. And as Sharp said, back they they werent really trying to be subtile. They just out and said it.