Kanon

R. Daniel Olk 01 04-06-2007 12:48 AM
After seeing its praise in the "Most Stunning Animé" thread I decided to give it a look-see.

Gorgeous, yeah. Hoo doggy... even though the female characters have the grotesque babydoll proportions, everything else is visually top-notch. Even when the main character stumbles back after getting slapped on the head... instead of getting lazy and making it a choppy and outrageous "limbo" sequence (where the background goes abstract) he falls back smoothly, believably, on his butt, and even though most of his body is just offscreen you can tell exactly where he fell by the subtly shifting angle of his shin and knee. Me, I'm used to Love Hina retardedness. Keitaro = Keitarded.

Question, though:

Is this s guy's animé or a girl's animé? Cuz everything's outrageously pink and swirly on the one hand, but on the other there's really only one male character so far, and... this is going to sound odd talking about an animé... the guy's usually the mature one, AND he stands up for himself. What's going on?

On a funny note, it's the same voice-actor as did the male lead from Melancholy of Suzumaya Haruhi... and nearly the same exact character design... and exactly the same personality. Hmm...
seraphjei 04-06-2007 08:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R. Daniel Olk 01
After seeing its praise in the "Most Stunning Animé" thread I decided to give it a look-see.

Gorgeous, yeah. Hoo doggy... even though the female characters have the grotesque babydoll proportions, everything else is visually top-notch. Even when the main character stumbles back after getting slapped on the head... instead of getting lazy and making it a choppy and outrageous "limbo" sequence (where the background goes abstract) he falls back smoothly, believably, on his butt, and even though most of his body is just offscreen you can tell exactly where he fell by the subtly shifting angle of his shin and knee. Me, I'm used to Love Hina retardedness. Keitaro = Keitarded.

Question, though:

Is this s guy's animé or a girl's animé? Cuz everything's outrageously pink and swirly on the one hand, but on the other there's really only one male character so far, and... this is going to sound odd talking about an animé... the guy's usually the mature one, AND he stands up for himself. What's going on?

On a funny note, it's the same voice-actor as did the male lead from Melancholy of Suzumaya Haruhi... and nearly the same exact character design... and exactly the same personality. Hmm...

Yeah, I for one enjoyed this series and give it full praise. Visually this anime is amazing, but this anime is a lot more than a pretty face. This anime is anything but your typical harem style show an opposite of Love Hina. This anime focuses on character development as well as story. The true beauty comes out in this anime's plot progression and authentic characters.

To answer your question, Kanon is neither a gal's anime nor is it a guy's anime. If you enjoy a wonderful story of fantasy and wonder then this show is for you. Although I will add the show has very sad parts. Quite sad. If you want more info on the show check out some reviews.

A good review for the show can be found at Anime-source

quote:
Kanon was definitely one of the stranger anime series that I have seen. Right off the bad the series did not make a good impression on me, the weird cutesy character designs turned me off right away. Second the plot did not seem like it was going anywhere at all, following aimlessly with the characters as they did what seemed like were insignificant everyday living. Only towards the end of the series things start to pick up. Mysteries are slowly uncovered and explained in a story telling skill that is almost unmatched in most anime series I have seen. I will not spoil the series as I fell you really must watch this series for yourself to see the full effect of the story telling. The cutesy design of the characters, the aimless plot in the beginning episodes deviously hide the fact that this is a serious and true tragic romance story. Put up with the beginning episodes and you will be rewarded with a beautiful story, I truly thought the latter half of the series is a perfect example of flawless execution. This also marked the first time my eyes were tearing while watching an anime series.

And yes...he has the same voice actor as Kyon, but try to ignore that as you watch the show. It'll bug the sh** out of you later if you keep making Kyon comparisons.
Dangerous 04-07-2007 01:35 PM
The only Kanon I know is the character in Saint Seiya, who is the twin brother of Saga, Gemini Golden Saint.

Well ..... good bye. Roll Eyes
R. Daniel Olk 01 04-07-2007 03:19 PM
Wow. Dead on, seraphjei.

This panzercop had to whip out his nose-hankie for eps. 8-10. My night-vision goggles got all smeared up. Oh Well

Neutral Oh Well Frown Crying

spoiler (highlight to read):
Although the fanwanking side of me is somewhat restless. I wish there'd been a loophole, like for example saying that Makoto could revert to her kitsune-form to recharge, then when she'd regained her energy, return to human form, back and forth, seesaw-style.

But then there's that ambiguous scene, at the end of ep. 10, with her laying in the field. It might just be her in the afterlife. However, Piro comes up to snuggle, so <gasp> maybe she's still alive!
Sharpshooter005 04-08-2007 12:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by R. Daniel Olk 01
This panzercop had to whip out his nose-hankie for eps. 8-10. My night-vision goggles got all smeared up. Oh Well

For a second I misinterpreted this, and thought this series involved/was about the panzercops from Jin-Roh.

Now I really wish there was an entire series where people with MG3s shot up sewer tunnels and so on
R. Daniel Olk 01 04-09-2007 10:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Now I really wish there was an entire series where people with MG3s shot up sewer tunnels and so on

You and me both. The alternate history of victorious Axis powers could have made a devastatingly fascinating subject. I say "devastating" because watching a whole series of Jin-Roh would undoubtedly devastate my academic and social life.

Besides, I want to learn more about the Sect... I also want to see more examples of the Special Unit's dirty dealings and internal house-cleaning, with moles and informants galore! Finally, Corporal Handa must bite the big one--as well as that fat guy with the moustache who doesn't say anything.

Raise high your MG-42!

>---------------------------------------------------------------------<
Kanon Tissue Count: 27

That's how many I ended using on my nose and eyes. Watch Kanon with your girlfriend, boyfriend, or with the door closed so that nobody walking by sees you bawling like a baby.