im into older mang....

d-d-d-dumbass 03-29-2007 10:07 AM
and it seems that everyone i speak with has no idea what i am talking about. like Here is Greenwood or Basara, or Wild Act, or From Far Away (which isnt really that old) or the Hino Horror collection.

and its dissapointing, yet relieving at the same time.
does anyone know what im talking about?
The Baker St. Irregular 03-29-2007 12:02 PM
Do you mean manga that is chronologically old, like Astro Boy, or was just published in English a long time ago?

My favorite manga EVAR is old in both those respects... Black Jack. It's an old Viz publication, back when the mangas weren't flipped and the books were larger dimensions than they usually are now. But it debuted in Japan in the 1970s. So it's pretty old.
d-d-d-dumbass 03-29-2007 05:46 PM
i suppose i mean chronologically old.
The Baker St. Irregular 03-29-2007 07:14 PM
Well, in that case, put me down for anything by Tezuka! Pleased

In speaking of old manga, does anyone know anything about the Rose of Versailles manga? I like the anime alright, but I'm wondering if the manga's better...
Sara Comatori 03-29-2007 07:32 PM
I read Cyborg 009...

Astro Boy too. I guess Dragonball is old too. Made in the 80s.
Pygmalion 03-29-2007 08:40 PM
My favorite is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (big shocker, no?). I like Tezuka also.

Pygmalion
Sara Comatori 03-29-2007 08:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
My favorite is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (big shocker, no?). I like Tezuka also.

Pygmalion

There was a Manga of that. I want to read it but I can't find it, Or it's too much
Heavy Metal Instro 03-29-2007 09:02 PM
So is manga the same thing as a comic book?
d-d-d-dumbass 03-30-2007 09:57 AM
yes, manga is basically the comic book.

and i very much enjoy Texuka. i went to his museum in japan a few years back, and i found myself smitten. it was wonderful.

also, Rose of Versailes

i've never read it. but im sure its good.
Sara Comatori 03-30-2007 12:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Heavy Metal Instro
So is manga the same thing as a comic book?

I think Manga is the japanse word for "Comic" or somthing like that. Anime is just short for animation, with an "e" at then end. Since it's japanese. Most call it by it's original name then comic book.
Dangerous 03-30-2007 01:02 PM
Astro Boy, Goldorak, Saint Seiya, Albator (= Captain Haruka), Bioman (not an anime), etc ... were my favorite animes. Pleased
Tickle Tickle 03-30-2007 05:12 PM
Check out some of Go Nagai's TV series.

Devilman, Mazinger Z, Cutie Honey, and Dororon Enma-kun.

If you like Magical Girls I suggest...

Sally the Witch, Majokko Megu, Cutie Honey, and Tokimeki Tonight.
Dangerous 03-30-2007 05:23 PM
It is strange, I have never even heard anything about those animes you are talking about ... Confused

You don't live in Europe do you ? We have other animes. Too bad, except dragon Ball, Edgar, Captain Herlock ...
Tickle Tickle 03-31-2007 12:35 PM
Are you talking to me? No, I don't live in Europe. Though most of the series I've lisited were released in European countires... just under different names.

quote:
Captain Haruka ...

Haha.
Dangerous 03-31-2007 12:41 PM
LOL Big Grin I was confused ! Embarrassed Sweatdrop

It was late, I was tired, and I confused with another anime; yes, I was talking about Captain Herlock ! Smile
Xel 03-31-2007 03:09 PM
Urusei f*cking Yatsura, man. XD That's like... my childhood right there. Also, interestingly, it apparently ran on public television in North America for a time in the 90s(? I think). I never saw it there, though.