Star Trek XI

Mr. Peabody 03-19-2007 12:50 PM

Feel free to rant and rave about Star Trek XI, scheduled to be released for Christmas of 2008.
The Fallen Phoenix 03-19-2007 01:24 PM
It's hard to rant and rave about something that hasn't really had anything more than speculation attached to it. Last I heard it was either focusing on Kirk and Spock's Academy days or one of Kirk's earliest missions, but I haven't heard much more than that.

...in any event, I think there's a lot of past material to cover, whether in a series or a movie (so long as it's not done like Enterprise, which was terrible in just about every conceivable way), but I'm not quite sure whether this would be first on my list. I kind of liked early speculation about the Earth-Romulan War.
Mr. Peabody 03-19-2007 04:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
It's hard to rant and rave about something that hasn't really had anything more than speculation attached to it. Last I heard it was either focusing on Kirk and Spock's Academy days or one of Kirk's earliest missions, but I haven't heard much more than that.

Yeah, I wish I hadn't of used those words. I orginally wrote speculate before I posted this thread. Embarrassed Sweatdrop

Most of the rumors I've heard lately are that the film will be about Kirk's first mission as captain of the Enterprise.
Mike 03-19-2007 05:59 PM
I've never been into Star Trek. In fact, I hate it.

Insurrection was a terrible, retarted movie.
Nemesis, although I never saw it, was apparently so bad that it insulted the fans. They only saw it 3 or 4 times in theaters.

This actually might be good if it doesn't go and butcher the continuity again. Retcons suck.
Sharpshooter005 03-19-2007 06:37 PM
quote:

That comparison is insulting to retards.
Revan 03-20-2007 05:17 AM
Hmm looks like one my Dad will probably end up watching, the closet fan that he is. Tongue
As for me, I can take it or leave it...
Hollow XXVI 03-20-2007 06:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:

That comparison is insulting to retards.

You mean retarts, Sharpie.

As for Star Trek, well....I haven't seen any of the movies all the way through, but I'm sure they're all better than Enterprise. Lol.
Mr. Peabody 03-22-2007 09:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hollow XXVI
As for Star Trek, well....I haven't seen any of the movies all the way through, but I'm sure they're all better than Enterprise. Lol.

Star Trek II, III, and IV are the best films in the entire series. You don't have to be a Trekkie to enjoy them.

First Contact was the best of the Next Generation films.
Mike 03-22-2007 09:53 PM
4 actually is pretty good. It has NUCLEAR WESSELS!! And 2 has the whole KAAAAAAAAHN thing.

I never saw FC, my Trekkie friends loved it, but at the same time I've seen people tear it to pieces. And I've heard that the final season or so of Enterprise was good, 'cause the Battlestar Galactica guy was in control of it instead of that one guy who's been driving the franchise into the ground since TNG.
Mr. Peabody 03-22-2007 10:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I never saw FC, my Trekkie friends loved it, but at the same time I've seen people tear it to pieces.

First Contact is watchable, but I'm sure someone could've thought of a better idea than going back in time to save the future. It worked splendidly with IV, but was another...trek into the past neccessary?
The Fallen Phoenix 03-23-2007 12:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
First Contact is watchable, but I'm sure someone could've thought of a better idea than going back in time to save the future. It worked splendidly with IV, but was another...trek into the past neccessary?

There were Borg, there was assimilation, there was Patrick Stewart shouting "the line must be drawn HERE!" and shooting up said Borg on the holodeck. So, no complaints...

...except for the very disturbing, very useless Data/Borg Queen scenes. Sorry, didn't need to see that, didn't want to see that.

And IV and FC kind of used time travel a lot differently. IV was more for the humor, FC...wasn't. I think they both used it differently and to good effect.

I'd probably also rate FC above III, but that's just me. II is by far best of the bunch, though. Not sure whether IV or FC follows it, I think it depends on my mood.
Inigo Montoya 03-23-2007 12:59 AM
"KKKKHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNN!!"

I'll watch it, but I'm unhealthily obsessed. I even liked Enterprise.
Mr. Peabody 03-23-2007 04:43 AM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody

IV and FC kind of used time travel a lot differently. IV was more for the humor, FC...wasn't. I think they both used it differently and to good effect.

I'd probably also rate FC above III, but that's just me. II is by far best of the bunch, though. Not sure whether IV or FC follows it, I think it depends on my mood.

I agree with your views of IV and FC, Phoenix. But I'd of liked to have seen the Borg succeed in landing on the Federation Earth; and we're left with one half of the crew with Picard trying to contain them, and the other half with Riker aboard the Enterprise-E trying to prevent the second wave from attacking.

My biggest gripe with FC is the finale where the Vulcans land. After that FC with humanity I'm surprised the Vulcans didn't say to each other "Let's never visit this planet again." Laughing

I'd rate III above FC, because III was about Kirk and his crew sacrificing everything they had - their careers, their freedom, even the Enterprise, to save Spock. Cool
Schwarzwald 03-23-2007 04:09 PM
Isn't Matt Daemon playing Kirk? Personally I find that very very weak. I would rather them find more of an unknown for a big role like this.
Big Jauln 03-23-2007 06:02 PM
Yea, I heard Matt Damon might play Kirk. I also heard there are rumors that Ben Affleck is going to play Kirk or Spock.
Mr. Peabody 03-26-2007 11:51 AM
Here is what can be confirmed:

The film will now simply be titled Star Trek.

J.J. Abrams is producing and directing.

Matt Damon is the lead choice to portray Captain Kirk. Damon has said he'd take the role if the script is good.
Mr. Peabody 04-01-2007 07:56 PM
This new design for the U.S.S. Enterprise hit the Net weeks after the new film was announced. Although they aren't official, they're a good visual of what a new Enterprise might look like.

Mike 04-01-2007 08:21 PM
That's a fan thing. Not connected to the movie at all. And although it looks really bad ass, why are there big glass things on the front and top of the engines? Seems really fragile and just there to look cool. And I forget exactly who said it, but they did an analysis based on the size of the windows, and it's like 3 times the size it should be.

It does look pretty cool though. For, you know, Trek.
Generalissimo D 04-01-2007 10:09 PM
Still the ugliest ship I've ever seen.
Sharpshooter005 04-01-2007 10:11 PM
quote:
why are there big glass things on the front and top of the engines?

Thats..actually how it looked in the original. The front part of those...whatever they are..the ones sticking out from the..thing the saucers connected too...the tube things. They looked like they had marbles on the front