Star Trek XI

Mr. Fortnight 04-03-2007 05:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
That's a fan thing. Not connected to the movie at all. And although it looks really bad ass, why are there big glass things on the front and top of the engines? Seems really fragile and just there to look cool. And I forget exactly who said it, but they did an analysis based on the size of the windows, and it's like 3 times the size it should be.

It does look pretty cool though. For, you know, Trek.

*enters geek mode*

The glass domes in the front of the warp nacelles are the "bussard collectors", magnetic field generators that collect ambient hydrogen in space for use as fuel.

The upper part of the engines that look like glass are actually the warp field generators, individual coils used in the process of generating the warp field necessary to send the USS Enterprise faster than light while avoiding the limits caused when reaching relativistic speeds.

*leaves geek mode*

Sorry, I'm a former trekkie. This nugget of data still floats somewhere in the back of my mind.
Mike 04-03-2007 10:35 AM
I heard something about that once, but wouldn't you need a funnel the size of Manhattan to collect a usable amount of H2? Or I guess it has a big magnetic field doing it.

But still...it looks really easily breakable. Silly federation depending entirely on their puny shields for defense.
The Fallen Phoenix 04-03-2007 10:37 PM
Okay, so that ship is not nearly as sexy as the Refit Constitution Class (post-ST:TMP). It looks a little better than the original Constitution model from the Original Series, though.

In any event, I haven't really been keeping up with any XI news whatsoever...
Mr. Fortnight 04-04-2007 02:19 AM
From what I know, they have scrapped the prequel idea entirely. They now are going with a "Re-Launch" of Star Trek. Not sure how it will go over with the OG trekkies, but it might be what the franchise needs after some stretch of stagnation.

Star Trek needs to be shook up.

Then again, I think they're just taking J. Michael Strazinski(sp?)'s concept for a Star Trek relaunch. You know, the guy that created B5.
Mike 04-04-2007 09:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Fortnight
Star Trek needs to be shook up.

God yes. It's gotten so incredibly stale and poorly written that Shatner should come in and crack some skulls in the writing department.
Mr. Peabody 04-23-2007 01:52 PM
Here is an amusing article of the people of Riverside, Iowa trying to attract tourists by declaring their town as the future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk.

Desperate times really do call for desperate measures! Laughing

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18232158/GT1=9246
Inigo Montoya 04-23-2007 01:52 PM
Wow. That is both amusing and very, very sad.
War.
Sharpshooter005 04-23-2007 01:57 PM
Feh, it's been done.

Grovers Mill, New Jersey (the town mentioned in the orson welles radio adaptation of war of the worlds) has like a monument up about that.
Generalissimo D 04-23-2007 06:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Feh, it's been done.

Grovers Mill, New Jersey (the town mentioned in the orson welles radio adaptation of war of the worlds) has like a monument up about that.

Orson Welles scaring the entire nation > Star Trek character.
Mr. Peabody 06-21-2007 09:01 PM
The latest rumors are that the producers of the new Star Trek film have offered a cameo role to Leonard Nimoy, but haven't offered the same to William Shatner. It's said that Shatner is "very upset" about this and has been lobbying for a cameo.