Romeo x Juliet

Asirt 03-03-2007 12:48 AM

Oh Romeo, Romeo. Where art thou, Romeo?

Summary (Provided by Anime News Network) -

This is a story of a young and tragic love, set in the aerial city of Neo Verona. Tyranny rules this island in the sky after the Montague family took control 14 years prior. The disparity among the wealthy and poor is apparent in the present state, the earth dries and water stagnates. The sky itself is wrapped in a deep dense fog. Both Romeo and Juliet's lineages are of present and past ruling families of Neo Verona. Romeo is the son of the current Montague dictator, Juliet (a beautiful woman) masquerades as a man (Odin), she's the last descendant of Capulet the previous rulers who were killed by an assassin's dagger 14 years ago. Her true background is not to be revealed to her until her 16th birthday while being raised by her sister. The cruel hands of fate introduces 2 people who will become "Star Crossed Lovers".

Current Info -

Based on one of William Shakespeare's greatest works, Studio GONZO creates their own vision of the world of Romeo and Juliet. It is directed by Fumitoshi Oisaki, who is well known for his work behind Kaleido Star and Pretear. There is currently no word on how long the series will last. There will be a special airing on March 18th. The first episode will air on Japanese television this April.

Other -

With the first episode airing only a month away, one has to wonder if we really need yet another retelling of one of William Shakespeare's greatest plays. There is also the possibility that this version may have more of a "feel-good" ending compared to the ending that we're all use to. Any thoughts on this new animated retelling?

World of Neo Verona -

GONZO's Romeo x Juliet Home Page
Sneak Peek of the animated series
Chitter-Box-Kat 03-03-2007 07:55 AM
OOOOOOOOH!! This looks awesome! The art style kinda reminds me of what I've seen from Gankestuo.

Brava Asirt! Big Grin
Sharpshooter005 03-03-2007 12:37 PM
Gonzo...oh right the hellsing guys.

Somehow I'd think they'd have gone more for Titus Andronicus based off their work on that series.

quote:

Act II Scene IV
"Enter the empress' sons with Lavinia, her hands cut off, and her tongue cut out, and ravished."
Buck Buck #1 03-03-2007 06:44 PM
Neo Verona.

That is all.
Ano Hito 03-03-2007 07:27 PM
Yay, ravished.

Personally, I think that Hamlet is more suited to the emo world of anime.
I also think that Hamlet is Shakespeare's greatest play anyway.
Sharpshooter005 03-03-2007 09:10 PM
quote:
the possibly that this version may have more of a "feel-good" ending compared to the ending that we're all use to.

Well they already shoehorned in the "child with a past unknown to them" and "dystopic flying city" cliches so..yeah this is probably going to wind up having superficial similarities to the actual plot
Chitter-Box-Kat 03-03-2007 09:21 PM
I really hope the ending isn't changed. It gained fame as a tragedy, marked by a double suicide ending. And if they do decide to ruin the ending of the tale of the star-crossed lovers, there better be something tragic to compliment it.
Scourge 03-03-2007 11:59 PM
An anime version of a classic play?

I think I just vomited in my mouth a little bit
Sharpshooter005 03-04-2007 12:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Scourge
An anime anime version of a classic play?

I think I just vomited in my mouth a little bit

This could either be a trainwreck or...just really muddled and uninteresting

I'm hoping trainwreck since thats more amusing

edit: Also I just remembered gonzo did hellsing..and I mean the "halfway through lets just ditch all the good ideas and go with some purple guy who's a quasi-ripoff of an egyptian deity. Also we'll throw in a sad little girl vampire since...well that just goes SO WELL with something about over the top set-pieces and hordes of undead nazis attempting to rule the world" one. So now I really can't see any real good coming of this
R. Daniel Olk 01 03-04-2007 10:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Also I just remembered gonzo did hellsing..and I mean the "halfway through lets just ditch all the good ideas and go with some purple guy who's a quasi-ripoff of an egyptian deity. Also we'll throw in a sad little girl vampire since...well that just goes SO WELL with something about over the top set-pieces and hordes of undead nazis attempting to rule the world" one.

LOL, sooo true.

quote:
really muddled and uninteresting

When I first watched I thought to myself, "Hey, a mythical pegasus and masked swordsman make things more fun."

But then I realized that, yeah there's probably going to be a lot more fighting than is good for the progression of the plot, and it'll get "muddled" as sharpshooter says.

I can't help but think of that short scene with one of the family fathers opening some secret chamber door--I just know there's gonna be some all-powerful family secret or a demon within, that'll take up valuable plot-space and fill it with hollow combat.

And elements of trainwreck: Romeo fighting Juliet atop a tower, then pushing her off and the two exchanging a passionate kiss as they fall? Like we haven't seen that ridiculous situation before.
ANIME HOGWASH.

.... that said, I'm still curious.

EDIT: I just read the description in the very first post. Silly me.
Yeah, I'm smelling trainwreck. And mediocrity.
Sharpshooter005 03-04-2007 10:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by R. Daniel Olk 01
I just know there's gonna be some all-powerful family secret or a demon within, that'll take up valuable plot-space and fill it with hollow combat.

CAPULETRON 01 ACTIVE. INITIATING COMBAT SYSTEMS.
Generalissimo D 03-04-2007 12:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
Originally posted by R. Daniel Olk 01
I just know there's gonna be some all-powerful family secret or a demon within, that'll take up valuable plot-space and fill it with hollow combat.

CAPULETRON 01 ACTIVE. INITIATING COMBAT SYSTEMS.

MONTEGUNDAM 005 READYING SHIELDS.
Sharpshooter005 03-04-2007 04:47 PM
Instead of poison they both ingest a magic potion that puts their power levels OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAND
Asirt 03-05-2007 05:59 PM
It's been confirmed that Romeo x Juliet will begin airing on CBC April 4th. Three other stations will air the encore episodes starting at these dates:

TBS (Tokyo Broadcasting System) - April 13th
Sun Television - April 17th
KBS - April 20th
Sharpshooter005 03-09-2007 09:55 PM
quote:
April 4th

Attention all naval vessels within range of Japan.

There is still time
Sara Comatori 03-10-2007 12:26 AM
Hm.. Seems interseting... He has green hair...
Generalissimo D 03-10-2007 11:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sara Comatori
Hm.. Seems interseting... He has green hair...

The last show I saw that had a guy with green hair ended up with him being violently stabbed and left to die on a space station.
Asirt 03-10-2007 11:53 AM
quote:
Hmm... Seems interesting... He has green hair...

Romeo actually has blue hair, not green. That picture is the only one where his hair is green for some reason, but in the show, it's blue.

Main site has been redesigned now that it's getting closer to the premiere of the first episode. Looks nice.
Sharpshooter005 03-10-2007 05:11 PM
quote:
Romeo actually has blue hair

...Arm everything thats even remotely explosive. This ones for the bard.
Capt. Quekolis 03-14-2007 07:52 PM
So does this Anime actually follow the storyline of the actual Romeo and Juliet story