Why not a movie?

Patsai 02-28-2007 04:15 AM
I started a thread like this back when PCF was just an infant, but since it's been almost four years since the Big O finished airing, I think it's time to ponder the idea for real. I know that Hollywood is a huge battlefield where even getting an idea out like this would be near impossible, but if chance ever came, we should be ready to hand over ideas!

Although it'd be a bold move, making a live action movie adaption of the series would promote not only a season, but reveal it to an audience alienated by the term "anime". Sure the move would require downsizing the show's overcomplicated plot to a major extent, but movies that often speak philosophically definitely garner attention (a la The Matrix, V for Vendetta, etc.) and I honestly can't see it not working. Of course, a good structured story would have to be placed, and from what part of the series (maybe the R.Dorothy - Dorothy 1 arc?), and how much it may have to be twisted in order to appeal to a new audience while still satisfying the fans. Ideas, comments, throw them out!

Since Act 26 premiered on Adult Swim, I stopped watching anime, but my love for the show has been reborn, and for some reason I just can't get enough of Big O.
Big Money 02-28-2007 06:48 AM
Pray to god or whichever deity you so desire that the movie is not picked up by Uwe Boll and that Big O does not go from giant robot to big rig truck.

Because a friend of mine proposed this nightmare scenario a while ago and I haven't been getting much sleep because of it.

As for me, I bet they could go for a single movie that could be made into three if the first is successful. I figure if it started with a movie about Beck's exploits in season one, with maybe some other crap going on in the background, that would be cool. Beck would probably have to be more evil like he is in the comic book, but I wouldn't mind that, and you could also introduce the other players, like Michael Seebach, Angel, Dorothy, and Alex. Assuming the the director doesn't mind about chopping up sequence order, s/he could even have Robespierre, Carnot and Fauche show up before the end or something to lead into further productions.

A second movie would have to have Schwartzwald as the villain, because the second movie in the trilogy is usually (and should be) the best (Empire, not so much Matrix or Pirates). And naturally, a third would have Big Fau and Alex.

I mean, it writes itself people, especially considering that its aready written.
Dangerous 02-28-2007 06:41 PM
there are so lot of incoherences in this anime, and people will not understand anything. Myself I wonder a lot of questions, so people who don't know this anime will hate it.
I noticed that Big o is just a plagia of other animes, so ... people will not appreciate. But who knows those other animes (Evangelion) among all the people who will go to a theater ?

I think a movie of Big O is not a good idea. This anime is too complexe to be understood. Like for the Matrix : who understood this movie ? Not a lot of people. And those people who didn't understand say 'Matrix sucked'. It will be worst if Big O is on a movie.
Spoderman 03-01-2007 08:00 AM
The matrix was not hard to understand. It only seemed revolutionary because eastern-esque philosophy was still quite foreign to most of America and the western world.

And even still, the first movie was the only good one: they lost whatever talent they had in writing the second and third. Got too caught up in special effects, and just started repeating themselves over and over.

A Big O movie would target such a small audience that it would be impractical to introduce it in such a manner. I'd MUCH rather see the final season conveyed as a novel or OVA targeted at people who have already seen the series. It's not mainstream enough to warrant its own movie title, and no producer would want to put money into the project.
The_Big_G 03-01-2007 11:12 AM
Yah, a movie's a big deal. They don't put the big bucks behind projects with lukewarm ratings and poor merchandise sales. Two hours just wouldn't be enough time to establish the characters, their conundrums and resolve the entire paradigm-arc satisfactorily. Even a trilogy might be hard-pressed to do that. An OVA or movie script would have to be a stand-alone entity.

The story fits the tv-show/serial medium well...beyond another series, I don't hope for much.
Nine Kuze 03-01-2007 11:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Spoderman
The matrix was not hard to understand. It only seemed revolutionary because eastern-esque philosophy was still quite foreign to most of America and the western world.

And even still, the first movie was the only good one: they lost whatever talent they had in writing the second and third. Got too caught up in special effects, and just started repeating themselves over and over.

This is one of the best things I've read today. Only because I can't stand The Matrix and its pretty much slef-imposed drivel in my book.

Anyway, I've always wanted to do an adapation of The Big O (wrote a treatment on it a loong time ago) and in this day and age, a Big O movie would be very possible. A trilogy could work out easily, its just that one would have to think if Cartoon Network, [adult swim] and who else have you wouldn't put up the money for a third season of the anime series, then why the hell would a major film studio want to do the same for a big budget movie. Just putting it out there is all.

As far as trilogy, if you wanted to go that route, I think it can be started off with the introduction of the core characters (Roger, Dorothy, Beck, Norman, Alex, Angel) and end with a cliffhanger sort of tone with the mystery of RD being brought into light. The second film of the trilogy could start getting into the mystery of Paradigm City also with RD, Gordon Rosewater being introduced and Act 14 as well then end with maybe either the discovery that Schwarzwald's been dead for a long time or the entrance of Big Duo Inferno. The last one can go nuts with the whole mystery of Paradigm City, the last fight with O and Fau, Angel's role as Director and Big Venus as well. A trilogy could work out something like this in my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
A second movie would have to have Schwartzwald as the villain, because the second movie in the trilogy is usually (and should be) the best (Empire, not so much Matrix or Pirates). And naturally, a third would have Big Fau and Alex.

Bad form, Money. You forgot The Godfather, Part II... which is naturally better than all those films put together.
Peace.
Dangerous 03-01-2007 11:33 AM
Yes, and even if they want to make a movie, what acts will they choose for the movie ? Act 1, 2, 4, winter night phantom, 12 and 13 ? I see they were all interesting. But they will not help us, the viewers, to understand the anime and the movie.
Furthermore there are lacks : where does Norman take the replacement pieces from ? Who provides him and Big O in missiles when there are no more ? ETC ... There are a lot of other questions.

Please, be realistic. A movie about Big O is not feasible, and is not credible. It is a plagia of a lot of other animes. Take Evangelion for instance : what a plagia ! The Evangelions are ALIVE creatures without soul who need a man to get a soul to work. And afterwards they 'wake up' by themselves, and took own initiatives (I am just talking about Eva 1). The Big O is a machine, and took its own initiatives in act 13 { 'Big O comes here alone ?!' - Roger Smith}. How is it possible ? It is just a machine. Ok for the evangelion for it is an alive creature. In act 26 Roger communicated with Big O; again it is a machine. The megadeus chooses its dominus. A machine can't choose anything !

There are other strange things which must be explained. Yes, like who is Angel ? An angel ? How has the city disappeared in act 26 ? It's impossible, and incredible.

I like the Big O, but a movie would be disastrous.
Capt. Quekolis 03-02-2007 11:28 AM
Yes youre right there are alot of gaps in the story line which need to be filled in, I dont think a movie would be good, but on the other had I may be wrong, it just depends on the type of stroyline they want to choose, who knows if they do make a movie they may want to start from the beginning and think all of this stuff through.
Patsai 03-06-2007 05:53 AM
Well the movie doesn't have to be a direct adaption of the anime. It'd have to be narrowed down where a brand new audience would be able to understand it, even if it means ultimately changing the storyline where the route is taken differently from the show. Personally I would've changed the ending of the second season if I had the choice to, wouldn't you?
Dangerous 03-06-2007 11:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
Well the movie doesn't have to be a direct adaption of the anime. It'd have to be narrowed down where a brand new audience would be able to understand it, even if it means ultimately changing the storyline where the route is taken differently from the show. Personally I would've changed the ending of the second season if I had the choice to, wouldn't you?

Of course, the best thing is to change the end of the second season because even me I don't understand what it means. So what will people, and the media critics say about such an end like this ? A lot of critics of course ! "Big O sucks ! It is worse than the Matrix !!" I hear already that inside my head, even if they have not made the movie. I love Big O, but a movie is according to me a bad idea. So or the storyline must be changed to make it more understandable by the new public, or the storyline stays the same and the new public will not understand and will criticise a lot. The scenarists will have to choose between us, or between the new public.
Ollen70 03-08-2007 02:06 AM
Obviously there aren't any concrete answers about what the last episode meant - it's very open to interpretation, but I don't think it's impossible to figure out, by any means. You just have to be willing to accept that quite a bit of it could be considered symbolism.

A Big O movie would in fact be awesome, but I'd really want a fairly original script. There's just no way to do the anime story-arc any real justice within a two-hour slot, as we've all agreed. Hell, they could barely (or didn't, depending on your point of view,) do it in 26 episodes. It'd have to be paired down to one or two villains, I think, and since one of the reasons Big O is so awesome is because its villians are so ridiculously deverse, that'd be a tough choice. But yes, I think it's got potential, however unlikely it might be to actually happen.
Capt. Quekolis 03-14-2007 07:45 PM
Hey if it has to do with Big O im for it.
Dangerous 04-05-2007 02:25 PM
If there is a movie of "The Big O", I wonder that Mickael Jackson could play the role of Alan Gabriel no ? He is as meager as him, and ...... "bizarre" like him. LOOOOOOL Crying

There is a physical equality between those persons. Alan has not a big nose, Mickael too.
Mike 04-05-2007 02:56 PM
Both of them are mostly-artificial, too.
Dangerous 04-05-2007 03:25 PM
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Crying Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

TRUE !!!
Big Jauln 04-05-2007 10:22 PM
For a movie, you have to do something credible to Big O. If it is to twist the storyline a little, so be it! The public has to understand the film, if it can do any justice to Big O. Personally, for a movie, I would take the trilogy idea. It can create a bit more publicity, and help sponser the show for a season 3.
Sharpshooter005 04-05-2007 11:12 PM
I demand if this happens, David Lynch directs it.

Then the confusion about just what happened in episode 26 will be replaced with this even more profound confusion as to what happened in the entire movie. Also I assume parts of it would be oddly hysterical or downright unsettling.
Dangerous 04-06-2007 10:52 AM
So, to make a good movie you propose to change the scenario a little bit ? Just to make the movie more understandable, and more CREDIBLE for the viewers ?

I agree ! However there will be a lot of disappointment from us, the first fans of the Big O.
Indeed, the scenario will be changed, and thus it will be not the same than what we know. Logic. But frankly who understood the end of the second season. I personally understood the fonts, but not what I saw. I understood that this anime had to end. But .... it was strangely done.

What would the new viewers say if there is a movie ? THEY WILL CRITICIZE IT. So I personally accept a little change for the Big O movie, just to make it more understandable for most of the people.

That's a compromise. Frown But that can bring its fruits ! Smile
Big Jauln 04-07-2007 01:31 PM
Thank you for understanding my point.
Big Money 04-07-2007 01:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Samir_Souleyman
If there is a movie of "The Big O", I wonder that Mickael Jackson could play the role of Alan Gabriel no ? He is as meager as him, and ...... "bizarre" like him. LOOOOOOL Crying

There is a physical equality between those persons. Alan has not a big nose, Mickael too.

No. This guy is Alan Gabriel. Credit to R. Smith for this image.