Why not a movie?

Revolver 04-24-2007 09:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
Originally posted by Revolver
The way I see it, if stuff like V for Vendetta can be adapted to film and still keep it's integrity as a story, then I see no reason not to adapt Big O.

That said, it'd have to be done rather carefully.

This is quite the contradiction.

The V for Vendetta film adaptation was terrible though, as taken into account that the film was based off the book. In a shocking twist, The Suckhowski Brothers did a terrible job translating V for Vendetta from one medium into another. So if that's the best example you can come up wtih as far as Big O's chances of a getting adapted into a movie, then I wouldn't feel comfortable with a movie at all.
Peace.

Hm. See, I saw the film first, and liked it: I read the graphic novel just a few days ago, and liked it even more.

Looking back now, the film was rather "eh" as an adaptation; however, I first saw the film as a stand-alone experience, and you've got to keep in mind that most people watching a Big O film (assuming one is actually made) are going to be watching with that viewpoint. If a Big O film can succeed on its own merits (as, in my opinion, V did), then what more could we ask for?
Nine Kuze 04-25-2007 01:52 AM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
The way I see it, if stuff like V for Vendetta can be adapted to film and still keep it's integrity as a story, then I see no reason not to adapt Big O.

That said, it'd have to be done rather carefully.

This is quite the contradiction.

The V for Vendetta film adaptation was terrible though, as taken into account that the film was based off the book. In a shocking twist, The Suckhowski Brothers did a terrible job translating V for Vendetta from one medium into another. So if that's the best example you can come up wtih as far as Big O's chances of a getting adapted into a movie, then I wouldn't feel comfortable with a movie at all.
Peace.

Hm. See, I saw the film first, and liked it: I read the graphic novel just a few days ago, and liked it even more.

Looking back now, the film was rather "eh" as an adaptation; however, I first saw the film as a stand-alone experience, and you've got to keep in mind that most people watching a Big O film (assuming one is actually made) are going to be watching with that viewpoint. If a Big O film can succeed on its own merits (as, in my opinion, V did), then what more could we ask for?

I understand what you mean there. But I'm just saying that the material brought up for the film needs to stay true to the original material of the anime and maybe even further if you want, the manga as well.

I was thinking about my Big O adaptation today as well and I was thinking about the last two episodes, let alone the last five minutes of the series. Because that's important and essential to portray on the film but because its caused so much strife with others in not "making any sense", that would be hard to do and it would be a damn shame if some filmmaker came along and said "f*** the original material, I'm doing my own thing". Just keep it along the lines of the original material that your bringing the film from is all I'm saying. Because if not, not only are the fans of the actual Big O going to be displeased but the newcomers watching the material for the first time probably wob't like it just as much either.

And as far as V for Vendetta goes, I always say this to people; if you watched the moviw without reading the graphic novel, yeah you will like it. But if you read the graphic novel first and then watched the movie, you will hate it. Most people usually fall into the first category but himself, I'm in the second one. And I can see why people who haven't read the novel would like it. By itself its a decent movie but since I read the novel beforehand, it was like a slap in the face. Wow, did they ever mess that up.
Peace.