The Departed

Nine Kuze 02-27-2007 01:16 PM
I think its high time that we had a thread about this film, right?

Anyway, The Departed is basically about two moles (or rats depending on which side of the fence you're on) with one undercover inside the vicious mob of Frank Costello and the other as a high-ranking detective in the Boston Police Department working for Costello. The two try and find one another and get them before they are killed first.

Directed by Martin Scorsese, the film has been compared to his earlier work of Mean Streets and GoodFellas, a "return to form" if you will and already won the 2007 Oscars in Best Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay and Editing.

I don't want to give that much away but I already posted in the Daily Hustler that there are pre-production talks of a prequel and/or a sequel with Robert DeNiro coming into the mix.

Discuss?
Peace.
Mike 02-27-2007 03:08 PM
Seriously? This won all those Oscars?
About damn time, Scorsese is the man.

Anyway, amazing movie. I used to hate DiCaprio, but he was amazingly good in this.

It was based on a Hong Kong movie, I think a trilogy. Some fans of the original didn't like the fact that it was all crammed into one...although that was why it was REALLY long (but still awesome)
Nine Kuze 02-27-2007 03:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Seriously? This won all those Oscars?
About damn time, Scorsese is the man.

Didn't watch the Oscars this time around, Mike?

quote:
It was based on a Hong Kong movie, I think a trilogy. Some fans of the original didn't like the fact that it was all crammed into one...although that was why it was REALLY long (but still awesome)

Yeah, but there are talks of doing prequels and sequels for The Departed.

quote:
Anyway, amazing movie. I used to hate DiCaprio, but he was amazingly good in this.

That's true, I thought he was too. Some people said that he was miscasted in this (like all of Scorsese's movies with him apparently) and that he was nominated for the wrong movie (Blood Diamond instead of this) but yeah DiCaprio kicked ass in this film. Even though his fake accent was in flux from time to time.

Also...
spoiler (highlight to read):
Mark Wahlberg's character was the only one who didn't die? I wasn't feeling that for some reason.

EDIT: Oh right, that's true D. Well, the majority of the main characters anyway.
Peace.
Generalissimo D 02-27-2007 04:41 PM
How's your mother?

spoiler (highlight to read):
Alec Baldwin's character didn't die either, I think. And theres the shrink too.