The Place Where Dreams Come True...

Asirt 02-27-2007 12:11 PM

Summary (Provided by Wikipedia) -

Tomoya Okazaki is a third year high school student who dislikes his life. Everything seems to be unchanging for his school life until he meets Nagisa, and Tomoya finds that his life is about to change.

Tomoya's mother died when he was young, leaving him to be raised by his father alone. After the accident, Tomoya's father turned to alcohol and gambling, and they used to argue all the time. However, one day in a fight, his father slammed him against the wall, dislocating Tomoya's shoulder. Ever since then, his father started treating Tomoya nicely, but distantly, as if Tomoya and he were strangers instead of family. This hurt Tomoya more than constantly fighting, and the awkwardness of returning home led to Tomoya's constant desire to stay out all night. In addition, due to the injury, Tomoya couldn't play in the basketball club anymore and quit his school activities. In this way, his delinquent life began.

Current Info -

From the makers of the popular visual novels Kanon and AIR comes a motion picture based on Key's recent successes, CLANNAD. Like the AIR movie that came out two years ago, this movie will be created by Toei Animation. Osamu Dezaki (of Black Jack fame and director of the AIR movie) will direct this film. The movie comes out to Japanese theaters this September.

Kyoto Animation have announced that they will handle the animated series. It is unknown when the series will air on Japanese television.

Other Info -

I know a lot of you aren't into visual novel gaming, but from what I know about the game, it's quite the sad drama. Some fans say it's superior to AIR and Kanon, but I haven't played the game to find out for myself. On the music side of things, it's very nice, but I doubt the game music will be used in the movie (since the AIR movie didn't use the game music either). Any thoughts on CLANNAD, or am I the only Key fan over here?

More info will arrive as the date draws closer.

Home of CLANNAD -

CLANNAD Movie's Home Page
Key's CLANNAD Home Page

Tales Told By Key -

Remnants of a Dream... [The Story of Kanon]
If Dreams Came True... [The Story of AIR]
Asirt 03-13-2007 11:43 PM
CLANNAD's movie site has been opened a few days ago, and more info on the movie has been revealed. The movie is expected to be released in the fall rather than in the summer as mentioned before.

The only idea we have in terms of the animation style is the picture I've posted. Judging from that alone, it looks different from AIR's animation style in the movie.

----------------------------------

[Promo Video now available]
Asirt 03-15-2007 04:34 PM
Well, guys. It was predictable from the start, but CLANNAD is also going to be an animated series as well, handled by Kyoto Animation. I guess when it comes to Key's visual novels, Kyoto Animation and Toei Animation's got you covered. Wink

[Source] + [Video]
Ace378 03-15-2007 05:15 PM
Looks like it will be pretty good. I saw the trailer and my first impression was that it looked similar to Air. After a closer analysis it would seem that Air has made its way into this anime a bit, so far as I can tell, when you look at the eyes.

(Sorry thats the best picture of Air I could come up with on the spot ><)

Now obviously its not exactly the same but what I wanted to point out was that the eyes are using the same form of highlight in Clannad as in Air.
Asirt 03-15-2007 05:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ace378
Looks like it will be pretty good. I saw the trailer and my first impression was that it looked similar to Air. After a closer analysis it would seem that Air has made its way into this anime a bit, so far as I can tell, when you look at the eyes.

A bit of trivia for you: Kanon was the first Key visual novel to have an animated series created by Toei Animation. AIR was the next novel to become a series and movie. From there, Kyoto Animation wanted to remake Kanon using the similar style used in AIR (also wanted to make the series follow the novel faithfully), which was then released in 2006. Now CLANNAD will be next to have this style. As you said, the eyes make this obvious.
Ace378 03-15-2007 05:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Asirt
A bit of trivia for you: Kanon was the first Key visual novel to have an animated series created by Toei Animation. AIR was the next novel to become a series and movie. From there, Kyoto Animation wanted to remake Kanon using the similar style used in AIR (also wanted to make the series follow the novel faithfully), which was then released in 2006. Now CLANNAD will be next to have this style. As you said, the eyes make this obvious.

Ah so the style is originally from Kanon thats interesting to note. Im not sure if it sounded this way to you also but while I was watching the trailer a subtley familiar tune was playing in the background kind of reminding me of Air a bit. Could have just been me though trying to find similarities Tongue
Asirt 03-15-2007 05:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ace378
Ah so the style is originally from Kanon thats interesting to note. I'm not sure if it sounded this way to you also but while I was watching the trailer a subtley familiar tune was playing in the background kind of reminding me of Air a bit. Could have just been me though trying to find similarities Tongue

The same composers from AIR did both Kanon and CLANNAD, so it's no surprise that there would be some similarities. As for the style, you could say that, since Key's art style is usually like that. Thanks to the AIR anime, though, Kyoto Animation is now well known for making Key's visual novels come to animation.
seraphjei 06-29-2007 03:09 AM
I am eagerly waiting for the release of Clannad. Both the Movie by Toei and the anime by Kyoto Animation. I do believe after Clannad is released the holy trinity of Key Visual novels will be complete in anime form. Kanon - Air - Clannad
Knowing how amazing Kanon and Air was, I have high expectations for Clannad. And just a quick question. Is Little Busters also going to have an anime adaptation. There has been a lot of talk but I haven't seen any conformation whether it will have an anime incarnation or not.