[Fan Art] The Big Cockpit...the journey begins

The_Big_G 02-21-2007 02:49 PM
I've decided that I'm going to build the Big O's cockpit.
Why?
Because it's the coolest cockpit ever, and because I can.

All origins are humble, so bear with me as I post updates on the progress.

The_Big_G 02-21-2007 05:32 PM
Okay, day one, I've got the sticks and the base shape for the slider track done.

Chitter-Box-Kat 02-21-2007 07:10 PM
Cooooool. Shocked I'm telling you, I would have no luck doing something like this. How exactly do you do this? It's looks like one of those tutorial 3D-workshop computer program things. . . It looks like fun.
paul1290 02-21-2007 08:14 PM
Very nice work. Big Grin

Shn275 is making another Big-O computer game. Perhaps you can send him some of your 3D models.

You can see some of his progress here.

I think he has also made some posts here at Paradigm-City.com before, but for some reason I haven't seen him around her lately.
Revan 02-22-2007 02:33 AM
Good stuff! What program are you using?

The best 3D model thing I ever made was a crappy wedge of cheese (complete with holes) back in high school...
The_Big_G 02-22-2007 10:37 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks!

To answer your inquiries:

Chitterbox: In 3D modeling, one sculpts a surface by drawing lines in space and revolving, extruding or creating a skin across them. One can also utilize or manipulate primitive objects such as cylinders, cubes and spheres.
As far as you mention that you'd have no luck doing it...I don't think it's all that difficult, it just takes time to get to know the tools and how to create the shapes you want. It's like learning a language. One merely needs to spend some time playing with it and eventually you have a good set of skills to create whatever you want. If one is dedicated, one can achieve anything.

Paul1290: Thanks! I'm trying to build as accurately as possible, given a lack of specifications. I'm guessing a lot on scales and certain details because the screen caps I've been collecting often conflict, as well as being in 2D perspective, which doesn't always jibe with "reality".

I don't think this model will be any use in gaming, as the polygon count is enormous. My aim is for accuracy and detail, and I'm focusing on using geometry as opposed to faking it with textures. The poly count for this model will probably be upward of a million polys, and most of the objects are patch-based nurbs models as opposed to pure polygon meshes. This model will be suitable for high-resolution pre-rendered animation for video or HDTV, and I'm adding all the controls for animating everything, including working switches, triggers, lighting, etc.

Revan: I'm using Softimage 3.9, which is about 7 years old. However, it's a legal copy.

Incidentally, if anyone has the Big O Art book, and there are any drawings of the cockpit, control chair, or Big O's interior at all, please PM me, or post them! I need reference materials!

Morning Update: (I added recessed rivets into the track, as well as the body of the track).
Dangerous 02-22-2007 11:18 AM
very good ! Continue like this. You have already done a good job. Your own modelation is not "like" the original one, it IS the original one ! Happy Continue

Me, I will buy an epave of an old Cadillac, and I will call MTV to 'Pimp My Ride', and I hope that, with a little chance, they will create the Griffon with this car. LOL
No, sorry, I was joking.

About your request, you told us to give you the pictures of the cockpit, the plans, etc ... I have them on the Big O DVDs, but I can't paste them on the desktop. How can I help you ?
The_Big_G 02-22-2007 05:36 PM
Day 2: mid-to-late-afternoon update

Added: track base and the half-cylinders to the bottom of the joystick track. I also created the template for detail plating that lines the bottom interior.

Oh, and Samirsouley, I've got the dvd's too...I've been using screen captures from them, but I was hoping someone had the BIG O Art book, so I could ask them to scan it. There's very little material that shows the bottom of the seat and the supports for the foot pedals.

I'm going to need as many images of the bottom of the cockpit as possible, since it's a huge mess of tubes and pipes.

There was one small image of the cockpit in the Paradigm-city.com miscellaneous image gallery, but it was so small, I couldn't make out a lot of the details.

Zayne 02-23-2007 06:50 AM
And I quote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Awesomeness!
Dangerous 02-23-2007 06:55 AM
hi zayne . how long haven't you come back in these forums ? welcome back.

the big G is making a good job.

COURAGE BIG G !!!
The_Big_G 02-23-2007 09:46 AM
Day 3 Morning Update

Good morning Tomatoes! Early this morning, I've extruded the bottom detail plating and inset it into the base of the joystick track.

Dangerous 02-23-2007 09:52 AM
Happy very gooooooooooooooood. very well done ! with all the details !! CONTINUE PLEASE !!! you have a big sense of detail. As I said you are not making "like" the cockpit, you just make itself. Bravo.

I wish I could have done something, but i am not an artist like you .... sorry.

I am with you.
Chitter-Box-Kat 02-23-2007 10:06 AM
Me too! Me too! Artist I may be, machines are not my specialty! ALAS! I can only cheer you on and praise you ike they did Michaelangelo while he painted the Sistine Chapel cieling. Go Big G! Big Grin
Zayne 02-23-2007 10:06 AM
The wonders of computer animation/aided drawing. I can't wait to see it when it's finished.
Dangerous 02-23-2007 10:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Chitter-Box-Kat
Me too! Me too! Artist I may be, machines are not my specialty! ALAS! I can only cheer you on and praise you ike they did Michaelangelo while he painted the Sistine Chapel cieling. Go Big G! Big Grin

Big G, we are all behind you !
Chitter-Box-Kat 02-23-2007 11:22 AM
Umm. . . Sam, are you sure it's me you're thinking of? I never posted any form of artwork here.
Dangerous 02-23-2007 11:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Chitter-Box-Kat
Umm. . . Sam, are you sure it's me you're thinking of? I never posted any form of artwork here.

it was a sort of dragon, or a griffon, on its four lesgs. it was like a big lion, or a big horse, with wings ; its was anyway a beautiful picture. I remember now who made that picture; it was a certain "Lost Cyborg" .She was talented. I think you know her.
Revan 02-23-2007 12:39 PM
Wow Big G, you sure don't skip any details! This is looking better every post!

I await the finished version! Big Grin
The_Big_G 02-23-2007 05:00 PM
As they say..."the devil's in the details".

You guys should see all the little doodles I've drawn all over my notebooks, trying to figure out how some of these objects look in cross section. I'm pretty much dissecting every line on a lot of different drawings to figure out the dimensions of all these bits and pieces.

But enough with my ramblings, Day 3 Midday update.

I've added the joystick guards, and added in the detail plates on the interior and exterior horizontal faces, beneath the slider track. I've also added in the chrome tubes that span the circumference of the circle through the cylinders on the bottom of the track.

In short, the subassembly of the joystick and slider track is done!
Next Subassembly will be the chair.

Chitter-Box-Kat 02-23-2007 08:03 PM
Wow. Big Grin And I can feel you on the "Devil in the details," thing. Details drive me insane when I draw.