Doujin Music, Anyone?

Asirt 02-13-2007 09:58 PM
You hear me mention them from time to time, but what exactly is doujin music? Think of it as remixes or rearrangements of songs from video games, but made in Japan. Unlike fan-made remixes made here or in other countries, these fans don't post their works on web sites such as OverClocked ReMix, but rather post their works on their home page, and also sell CD's for fans to buy.

Similar to doujinshi items, these CD's are commonplace and are acceptable in Japan, meaning that fans can make money through remixes and rearrangements. Lately, I've been crazy for doujin music (one certain game/anime in particular), and have been hunting them down. However, because of the nature of this type of music, it's very hard for us music lovers to find the best of the best.

This is where this thread come in, fans. If you like a certain video game, chances are someone has made a doujin CD with some cool remixes. Feel free to search for doujin music that you think is cool and post it here for other fans to look into.

There are many places where you can find these doujin CD's, such as eBay. This seller has quite a few doujin CD's for sale at reasonable prices. These include music from Final Fantasy to Megaman to Chrono Trigger. However, you probably want to listen to them before buying them. That's reasonable.

Here are a couple samples to start off:

XL Project / Violet and Clarie -

These fan-made CD's were released on December 2006, and contain some cool house and trance tunes from games made by KEY. These games include Kanon, AIR, and CLANNAD. Very nice remixes from XL Project.

YAMAGEN'S DEVILELIET -

This guy's got some nice doujin music from Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger. My favorite one is "The Wild West". Click on "MP3 download" and then "arrangement" to listen to some of this guy's stuff.

I have quite a bit of various KEY and AIR doujin CD's, so if anyone wants to listen to what I have in my collection, feel free to ask.
Wingnut 02-14-2007 08:02 AM
I see what you mean, and I have a few myself.
This site has more of what Asirt mentioned as well. It's mostly in Japanise, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding out what things are.
I found this site when searching for Super Robot Wars themes and came uopn the site as a result. (SRW themes are in the top right corner.)
Asirt 02-14-2007 10:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
I see what you mean, and I have a few myself.
This site has more of what Asirt mentioned as well. It's mostly in Japanese, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding out what things are.
I found this site when searching for Super Robot Wars themes and came upon the site as a result. (SRW themes are in the top right corner.)

Nice find, Wingnut. There's also a rock version of "Summer Lights" from AIR, which will be is a part of my growing AIR music collection soon. Big Grin
Hollow XXVI 02-15-2007 06:05 AM
Haha, the Chrono stuff is cute enough...but pretty laughable regardless. Better than the official remix CD at least, however funny that is.