An Apologic Virginia

Nine Kuze 02-01-2007 10:24 PM
Its seems like the state of Virginia is looking to make a formal apology about its role in slavery.

I was reading my copy of USA Today and the article on the bottom of the front goes like this;

quote:
Originally from USA Today
Virginia moved forward on Wednesday to apologize for slavery, something no president or legislature has done. The Virginia House Rules Committee unanimously approved a measure that expresses "profound regret" for the state's role in the slave trade and other injustices against both African-Americans and Native Americans.

It goes on to say that the move is a gesture of atonement and that the wording of the apology was changed because some lawmakers said an apology could lead to reparations or cash payments to slave descendants.

Bruce Gordon, president of the NAACP, says that an apology alone doesn't heal wounds but says that it important to recognize past wrongs and is more essential to fix lingering racial inequities. Republician Del. Frank Hargrove says that blacks "should get over" slavery instead of seeking a formal apology, asked "Are we going to force the Jews to apologize for killing Christ?" and said that the measure would express regret "without apologizing for anything". In relation to this, I watched a CNN report a couple of days ago where the major of a small Texas town is trying to have the N-word outlawed but many of the citizens there (including the black and the white citizens), disagreed with the notion.

Also in the article there is mentioning of Virginia expressing "profound regret: in 2001 for its role in eugenics, a discredited science that led to the sterilization of more than 7,000 Virginians in the name of purifying the white race in the years of 1924 and 1979.

I know this is a touchy subject, but I wanted to see where this would go and what some of your thoughts on PCF here was about this topic. So discuss maybe?
Peace.
Generalissimo D 02-01-2007 10:39 PM
That ban on the n-word was primarily opposed by the black community in the area.

And how the hell does the NAACP basically go "this isn't good enough" to a state apologizing.
Nine Kuze 02-01-2007 10:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
That ban on the n-word was primarily opposed by the black community in the area.

Yeah, that's what I said beforehand.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
And how the hell does the NAACP basically go "this isn't good enough" to a state apologizing.

...I don't think it was the NAACP's idea. The NAACP noted that they don't think that the apology was neccessary and that instead of solving current racial issues is more important. Which I agree with myself, and I'm not down with the notion of reparations myself.
Peace.
Hollow XXVI 02-02-2007 01:23 AM
Lol at the Jews comment. Oh those silly republicans, I love em.

Also yes...apologies do nothing, especially if it was an atrocity at this level. I mean seriously people, what the hell?

Plus...getting money because your great great grandmother was a slave...where is the logic in this exactly?
Sharpshooter005 02-02-2007 08:46 AM
quote:
Republician Del. Frank Hargrove says..."Are we going to force the Jews to apologize for killing Christ?"

Either get out of my party or read up on who Pontius Pilate was.

Also...wasn't masachussets the first of the 13 colonies to have a written law on the books regarding slaves? I know the jamestown colony had some 'indentured servants' who were basically sold to them by a third party but I thought there wasn't any official law in virginia regarding slavery as we all know it until later.

The real question is how does "we're sorry, our bad" actually...yeah, have any real impact on any of the actual issues.

quote:
.getting money because your great great grandmother was a slave...where is the logic in this exactly?

What I've always wondered is, since theres alot of cases of slave owners having illegitimate children with their slaves, would a descendant of that owe themselves money?
Nine Kuze 02-03-2007 01:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
Republician Del. Frank Hargrove says..."Are we going to force the Jews to apologize for killing Christ?"

Either get out of my party or read up on who Pontius Pilate was.

Well to be fair, the Jews wanted Christ dead and saw him as a threat. Yeah, but still.

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
The real question is how does "we're sorry, our bad" actually...yeah, have any real impact on any of the actual issues.

It doesn't really, hence the point of the NAACP making note of how this isn't going to benefit in a meaningful way by apologizing for something that happened a long time ago and how it helps with the current racial problems of today.

quote:
Originally posted by Hollow XXVI
Plus...getting money because your great great grandmother was a slave...where is the logic in this exactly?

That's my question. I never believed in the idea of reparations myself, so yeah.
Peace.
StevieV019 04-29-2007 02:19 AM
Nine...just looking out for you buddy...but as an fyi...its "apologetic"
Nine Kuze 04-29-2007 06:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by StevieV019
Nine...just looking out for you buddy...but as an fyi...its "apologetic"

...hurm. So it is.

Also, I forget I made this thread.

Also, halo thar Stevie.
Peace.
Inigo Montoya 05-01-2007 10:59 AM
Maybe this is being an accomplice to necromancy, but this whole thing stinks to me. It seems to me that big "we're sorry" is well and dandy, but why now? Maybe it's just my natural paranoia, but I smell ulterior motives in this action.

Then again, it could just be the Chinese food I ate.
War.
Sharpshooter005 05-01-2007 11:44 AM
quote:
I smell ulterior motives in this action.

It's a cover for the existence of the ray...you know...the disenfranchisment ray.

nobody can know about the disenfranchisment ray, or the secret bunker its in.