Let's talk PC Games...

Jonny Axehandle 01-31-2007 08:26 PM
So, I'm building myself a new PC at the moment. It's going to have all kinds of high-end parts. I'm going to extremes because A: I'm going to college and I need a decent PC and B: I have NEVER had a gaming capable PC. Both of the PCs that I have owned in my lifetime have had graphics cards that quickly became outdated. (come to think of it, the second one was technically outdated the day it was purchased)

I've invested quite a bit of money into this. Time to go blow the rest on some games! Now, since I've never had a gaming PC, I've never been truely exposed to the PC genre. So Paradigm City, what games should I get? I can't think of a genre of game I truly "hate". I really like FPS games. I played a RTS game once and it was awesome. Oh, and the more obscure the game, the better. Wink

If there isn't one already, go ahead and make this the official PC Gaming topic.
Big Money 01-31-2007 09:22 PM
Here's a few for you to consider:

1. StarCraft
  2. StarCraft
  3. StarCraft
  4. Dawn of War
  5. StarCraft

1,2,3, and 5 will by no means push the limits of your system graphically, but they make for great gaming experiences.
Generalissimo D 01-31-2007 09:29 PM
Here's what you should have said:

quote:
Originally posted by Big Money

1. Dawn of War
  2. Homeworld 2
  3. Postal 2
  4. Soldat
  5. StarCraft

3-5 will by no means push the limits of your system graphically, but they make for interesting gaming experiences.
X Prime 01-31-2007 09:31 PM
quote:

1. StarCraft
  2. StarCraft
  3. StarCraft
  4. StarCraft

Only inferior lifeforms suggest the quoted games in your list. Persons of superior taste select that known as:

Total Annihilation
Generalissimo D 01-31-2007 09:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
quote:

1. StarCraft
  2. StarCraft
  3. StarCraft
  4. StarCraft

Only inferior lifeforms suggest the quoted games in your list. Persons of superior taste select that known as:

Total Annihilation

And people that know anything at all will recommend Supreme Commander for good rig.
X Prime 01-31-2007 09:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
quote:

1. StarCraft
  2. StarCraft
  3. StarCraft
  4. StarCraft

Total Annihilation

And people that know anything at all will recommend Supreme Commander for good rig.

Considering that Supreme Commander isn't out yet, and also considering the fact that it happens to be the spiritual successor to the god of RTSes known as Total Annihilation, that's a moot point.
Hollow XXVI 01-31-2007 09:36 PM
Total Annihilation is like Transformers or Gundams killing each other in an RTS. I know that doesn't sound fun at first, but it is.

And I know they're ancient and you'd need DOSBox to run them, but..Quest for Glory.
Wingnut 02-01-2007 09:41 AM
Speaking of the RTS genre, C&C 3: Tiberian Wars is due out this March.
And yes, TA rocked.
Revan 02-02-2007 03:25 AM
If you like FPS games then Half-Life 2 is a must for graphics (which can be turned right up), gameplay and atmosphere. The game and Source engine/ Steam applications take up a big chunk of hard drive space but it's worth it.

As for RTS I like Medieval II:Total War which will definately give your graphics card a workout on higher settings. Cool
Sharpshooter005 02-02-2007 08:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Revan
If you like FPS games then Half-Life 2 is a must for graphics (which can be turned right up), gameplay and atmosphere. The game and Source engine/ Steam applications take up a big chunk of hard drive space but it's worth it.
)

And if you're not really capable of turning them up, it still looks great and is fairly scalable in terms of system requirements.

(My one issue with it was I thought the weapons somehow lacked...something, not sure what. The submachinegun seemed like it was shooting BBs. Otherwise, amazing game that entirely lived up to the hype)
Mike 02-02-2007 09:21 AM
Yes, Half-Life 2 was amazing. So was Call of Duty 2, which I actually like better than 3. Lee-Enfield rifle = awesome.
paul1290 02-02-2007 03:45 PM
I like how Half-life 2 can pretty much run on any decent PC and still look pretty good. There are a lot of people who are literally running it on old Geforce 5200 cards and 512MB of RAM and the game still looks good despite such limited hardware. On the other hand, the game can still take advantage of the power of high-end gaming PCs if you happen to have one.

I've also heard Crysis will also be very scalable in terms of system requirements. Not entirely sure though.

Rainbow Six: Vegas is also a good FPS, the system requirments are a bit steep though.

If possible I would recommend waiting until March to build a new PC. A lot of the mid-range DirectX 10 video cards along with a more affordable version of the Geforce 8800 will be available by then. Also, the crappy Windows Vista video card drivers should be fixed by then, so you should be able to play your games without all the slowdown and glitches gamers have been experiencing with Vista lately. You'll want to get Vista by then because DirectX 10 won't be available on Windows XP.
Buck Buck #1 02-02-2007 11:00 PM
The Elder Scrolls games are a good bet if you are into RPGs. Morrowind is probably one of my favorite games of all time. I haven't played Oblivion as much, but it seems really good too.
Revan 02-03-2007 05:41 AM
Ah yes the Oblivion overworld will make use of a good graphics card, I can just about get it to show distant terrain on my PC but not without noticable slowdown. Though inside towns and buildings etc it's fine.

It's potentially endless what with all the quests and skills to level up in, my friend who has the Xbox 360 version has clocked up 130+ hours! Shocked
Some flaws here and there but one of the best RPGs out there at the moment.
Buck Buck #1 02-03-2007 06:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Revan
It's potentially endless what with all the quests and skills to level up in, my friend who has the Xbox 360 version has clocked up 130+ hours! Shocked

I've probably played Morrowind for over 500 hours, and there is still stuff that I haven't done yet.
Sharpshooter005 02-11-2007 12:20 AM
Speaking of RPGs, mount&blade is a good one

You basically download it, play it until level 6, then buy it (its...I think only around 20 dollars now, as patches come out it gradually rises in cost). For a game developed by like...2 people, it has one of the best combat systems I can think of, even if apparently archery was toned down (then again yeah, it was sort of easy to be a mobile death machine before). Its one of the few rpgs I've played that isnt an fps/rpg hybrid where combat...is actually combat and relies more on skill than the game invisibly checking stats

The problems are...well...it has no storyline implemented yet, so its basically "join faction a or b, then go kill members of whoever you didnt join". Theres a number of modifications out though including a LOTR one with an absolutely huge worldmap, a storyline modification which allows you to build your own matchlock musket and...some others of varying completion/quality like a pirate one and one set in mid-15th century japan which I had before my old pc basically died, but those two didnt seem as polished.

One thing, I dont know how many mods work with the current version, I remember hearing alot didnt, but its possible to roll it back to .751 or whatever and use them
Hienrich Ele 04-27-2007 11:53 PM
Older thread, but though I'd list a few of my personal favorites.

In regards to FPS, for the love of Christ get F.E.A.R. It is an awesome shooter, and a thriller too. The expansion is a bit scarier, but more fun. The slow mo affects rival Max Payne.

Speaking of Max Payne, get Max Payne Two. It's a third person shooter, and the story line is of epic proportions. Film Noir Love Story. It's one of my, if not the, favorite games.

Empire At War, a Star Wars RTS, has had me addicted for some time. It is fun to go and conquer the entire galaxy one planet at a time. With both Space and Land combat, its very fun.

Company of Heroes is an awesome WWII RTS. Play as Nazi or Americans, and build up your armies. Pretty fun stuff.

Yeah, all of those I guarantee are fun.
The Ghost of Ember 04-28-2007 01:04 AM
I always found Half Life 2 somewhat tedious. It's graphically impressive and I think the characters are some of the most lifelike in personality and presentation that have graced video games, but I often enjoy the five minute conversations that break up the gameplay more than the gameplay itself. If that makes any sense.

PC games that must be played? StarCraft has already been covered. Hmmmn. I'm mostly thinking of CRPG's: Fallout 1 and 2, and PlaneScape: Torment in particular. I'm told the Baldur's Gate series is also good, but I've honestly never played them.

Black and White is also good, if extremely irritating at times. The sequel however seemed to lack whatever soul the first one had. I couldn't even finish it.

My current love affair as far as PC is concerned is with System Shock 2. It's mixed somewhere between an FPS and an RPG. Simply put there's no more atmospheric nor terrifying a game. An excellent story and by far one of the most well developed villains in video game history to boot. SHODAN hasn't appeared in almost every 'Top Whatever Number Villians Evar!111one' I've seen without reason, which was pretty much the reason I finally decided to check it out.