Mooninites Invade Boston

Mr. Peabody 01-31-2007 05:18 PM
A discreet publicity stunt for Cartoon Network's Aqua Teen Hunger Force created momentary panic in Boston.

At least 10 boxes, featuring the flashing outline of the Mooninites, were placed at various locations throughout Boston. Passerbyers thought the boxes were explosives and called the police, one box was detonated as a precaution. Highways and bridges were closed down as the other boxes were rounded up.

Turner Broadcasting, parent company of the Cartoon Network, was quick to apologize for the panic and inconvience.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16902707/
Nine Kuze 01-31-2007 06:14 PM
It's Boston, so yeah. Bad form, Beantown. Bad form.

Also, that's so much like the Mooninites to cause some good ol' mayhem like that anyway.

EASY BABY, DADDY'S FREE ALL DAY (that's the only quote that I can think up of from them off the show, so yeah).
Peace.
Pie_Junkie 01-31-2007 06:36 PM
It's one of those stories to remind us all to be careful with our hijinks.
Hollow XXVI 01-31-2007 07:29 PM
I love it how these mystery box things always make people jump to "OH MY GOD IT'S A BOMB, IT'S A BOMB WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE"

...I personally don't think a bomb would be in a FLASHING box. More like something discreet and unnoticeable, stupid Boston.
SEELE 08 01-31-2007 07:47 PM
This reminds me of the time AS came to Purdue with people dressed as the Aqua Teens.
Xel 01-31-2007 10:11 PM
I laughed. So goddamn hard.
evanASF27 01-31-2007 10:12 PM
The people at Cartoon Network are more stupid than I thought..... they've gone past retarded and moved into a category between Bush and de-evolution.

*update*
At least they aired an apology tonight. With actual grammar and crap!
Mr. Fortnight 02-01-2007 03:39 AM
Welcome to the paranoid 21st century.

Here's what I don't get. Why would a terrorist want to make their device as blatantly visible as those lite brites?
The Big Finale 02-01-2007 04:00 AM
I am offended.

Because they apologized.
Mike 02-01-2007 10:51 AM
Boston is officially full of idiots.

Seriously, it's a Lite-Brite. It has a circuit board in it? OH NOES IT'S AN IED! Or maybe it's an electronic toy. Come on people.

Although viral marketing in general is dumb. Remember those PSP ones that pretended to be graffiti, but were actually stenciled? Dumb.
Fujiko 02-01-2007 11:23 AM
Well, everyone saw them. Cuz they were doing it as hard as they could.

I rolled my eyes when I saw the article this morning. Honestly, flashy little pixelite things giving people the finger are bombs? Now I am completely positive that the paranoia is out of control. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have given a damn pre 9/11. Bunch of idiots.
Sharpshooter005 02-01-2007 01:33 PM
[Pretend this is the obligatory "BU$H, AMERIKKKA, LOL PARANOID SHEEPLE" part of the post, just so I don't break the streak.]

Yes this was overblown, yes viral marketing is idiotic, yes seeing ignigknot on msnbc is easily the most f***ing surreal thing that I've laid eyes on in a while. Also this reminds me of that interview with Matt Maiellaro where he went off on some bizzare tangent about how comedy "needs fear in it", remembering that quote in this context just makes it even more bizzare...and hysterical. I mean I'm sure this was all the fault of the "street artist" (thats what these cretinous hipster meta-shills like to call themselves right?), but its a funny coincidence to me.

What I'm hoping is this viral marketing crap dosen't even further hinder the movie, since it seems like it's been hitting a bunch of production snags or so I've heard.

In summation, further press releases for the aqua teen movie should use the phrase "banned in boston". Unless thats too obscure for people to get...and if it is they DEFINATELY should use it.
evanASF27 02-01-2007 06:53 PM
(for the sake of...stuff)
** WARNING:: This video uses the F-word **
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G-D0F4Q9yk

lolz

"This sign has been up for a few weeks[...]"

....WTF
Green_Bird 02-01-2007 07:44 PM
So paranoid...Now I see that soon people will be calling lightbrites bombs or at the very least ban Cartoon Network in the Boston area or all of Massachusetts. This just seriously shows how every little thing can set people off....even one that is brightly lit....that just screams "NOT A BOMB".

I'm kind of shocked that they didn't notice them until now. And besides if they were bombs you would think THEY WOULD HAVE EXPLODED BY THEN. And am I the only one that thinks it's funny that they blotted out the hand in the news reports when it didn't look like what it was meant to be.
Nine Kuze 02-01-2007 10:02 PM
This is straight from the front page of USA Today:

quote:
Originally from USA Today
Boston mayor blasts stunt
- Cable netwrok ad campaign sends bomb squads scrambling.

What the f***?
Peace.
Mr. Fortnight 02-01-2007 10:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Finale
I am offended.

Because they apologized.

An I am saddened. [AS] has nothing to apologise for in my opinion. In fact, with the implication that [AS] was responsible for a terrorist threat could be considered Slander or Libel.

[AS] has the high ground, and they gave it up.
Generalissimo D 02-01-2007 10:18 PM

Seeing that...on a litebright...on the news..with the caption BOMB SCARE just seemed a tad off.

Even moreso when the fingers were blurred.
Mr. Fortnight 02-02-2007 01:00 AM

I hope Boston can see this...

BECAUSE I'M DOING IT AS
HARD AS I CAN!!!
Hollow XXVI 02-02-2007 01:15 AM
Ahahahahaha...they should have blurred the finger.
Sharpshooter005 02-02-2007 08:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Minneapolis
the implication that [AS] was responsible for a terrorist threat could be considered Slander or Libel.

Um...Nobody ever said Turner broadcasting was a terrorist threat.

quote:
[AS] has the high ground, and they gave it up.

There was a marketing slip up so they apologized to try and smooth out the PR flak that was generated. Not every situation involves a moral high ground.

Besides. You can't buy this sort of publicity, and considering its a movie with an already niche audience all this really did I'm sure was increase awarness of it and probably even potentially draw in some more potential viewers.