Fighting Robots

Malkhos 01-24-2007 07:31 PM
My three year old son has rather sophisticated viewing habits for his age, but, while he is fascinated by some of the clips of Big O fights on you tube, I don't think he is quite up to watching Big O (or Evangelion for that matter). Can anyone recomend a suitable show for him? What is Gundam like?
Mike 01-24-2007 09:49 PM
Gundam is basically full-scale war, most of the series are fairly mature and a lot of people die. He's 3, so if anything, start him with G Gundam because it's sort of like wrestling. With big robots. Just watch it yourself first to make sure it's ok.
Paradigm Dog 01-25-2007 12:19 AM
Nearly the entire Gundam series (the exception noted in the second paragraph) is aimed at teen or older audiences, dealing with a lot of complex political and social issues. I'd be careful with G-Gundam even. While it takes a different motif, it's more complex and mature than it seems at first glance, and very Gundam-like deep down. There's a fair amount of disturbing imagery in it for young people.

Some mecha series for younger audience to investigate would be SD Gundam (AKA "Superior Defender Gundam," probably the only kid-friendly Gundam series), Voltron: Defender of the Universe, classic Transformers, or Zoids/ZERO (known as "Zoids" in the US). In my opinion, the latter is actually very enjoyable for mecha fans whether their young or old, actually.

Robotech might be an idea, too, and that's, historically, universally enjoyable on different levels, but it seems like it would be too mature with its war/relationship themes. Zoids: Chaotic Century is a possibility, but in a similar boat as Robotech as far as content; it's not quite as kid-friendly as the "Zoids" (Zoids/ZERO) mentioned earlier. IGPX is about teens racing battle mecha, but it tackles a lot of teen adjustment issues as it goes along, so that would probably be too much. Plus there are cut and uncut versions with language usage differences, and determining which volume is cut or uncut can be tricky at times (it's not clear to me if they kept the same editing standards throughout, either).

The first four I mentioned are your best bets as far as I'm aware, and I'm a pretty big mecha fan. In all honesty, mecha/giant robot shows are largely geared toward teenagers and older. I might not be thinking of everything available in the younger bracket, though. There was something called "D.I.C.E." a few years ago, and now something called "Spider Riders" that seemed quite kid-geared. Oh, and Hanna Barbera tried mecha fighting with MEGAS XLR: might want to look into them as primary ideas, too, since they are specifically made for the children's market I believe.

As always, be sure to check'em out for yourself before showing them, to make sure they meet your parenting guidelines. Finding a mecha/fighting robot show for a 3-year-old is a tall and delicate order. Best of luck!
Spoderman 01-25-2007 09:57 AM
Oh hell yeah, transformers, that brings back memories Big Grin

But for the love of God, don't show him evangelion at 3 years old Shocked
Tickle Tickle 01-25-2007 05:28 PM
Mazinger Z. Seriously, Mazinger Z is the best show to let a Giant Robot-crazed kid watch. There's only two problems: The only existing dub is near-impossible to find. And there are quite alot of violent scenes.
Generalissimo D 01-25-2007 06:09 PM
Voltron is pretty classic.