MGS vs. Splinter Cell: What a reality

Patsai 01-23-2007 02:05 PM
Thought I'd bring this up. I talked with a couple Airmen buddies I had about video games yesterday, and the topic of Splinter Cell came up. Behold, they talked about it like it was the best game ever. Unfortunately I've only played the first one (and only a little bit of it), and wasn't that greatly impressed by it.

So I thought, hey if they like Splinter Cell, they must like Metal Gear Solid. I brought that up, and I got laughed at. So in all, which of the two is the better series? I ask since I'm stumped that just about everyone here on base loves Splinter Cell but abhors at the thought of MGS.
Sharpshooter005 01-23-2007 04:14 PM
I heard double agent apparently sucked
Mike 01-23-2007 05:29 PM
I suck at MGS, and I never played Splinter Cell. I was going to get the new Wii one, but since it apparently sucked, screw that.
paul1290 01-23-2007 05:33 PM
In my opinion they are completely different games that really shouldn't be compared. Which series you prefer really depends on what you want in a game. I've played both and they really don't share much in common other than stealth tactics.

For example:

Metal Gear Soid 3: Snake Eater and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory are my favorites out of both series. They both make use of stealth tactics, but that is really the only thing they share in common. They are structured very differently.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory has a much faster pace than Metal Gear Solid 3 and puts more emphasis on being able to move room to room rapidly without being seen. Most of the missions can be summed up as "Get in, complete your objectives, and get out". On the other hand Metal Gear Solid 3 has a much slower pace where it is not unusual to spend a half-hour navigating a building. It's also more of an action-adventure type game which has many more aspects of gameplay other than stealth.

In conclusion:

Splinter Cell is a pure stealth action series. After playing games from both series, Splinter Cell is clearly superior when it comes to the variety of stealth tactics. Although the gameplay is a bit narrow in that it focuses almost entirely on stealth tactics, it is something the series does very well.

Metal Gear Solid is more of an action-adventure series with an emphasis on stealth. Its gameplay is much more continuous than the Splinter Cell's mission-based style. Although it doesn't do stealth as well as Splinter Cell, its gameplay has a much wider variety and has more action-adventure elements in addition to stealth action.

As to why your military buddies might not like Metal Gear Solid, it might be because someone who spends several years in the military might not want to play a military themed game in his spare time. Big Grin
Patsai 01-23-2007 06:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290
As to why your military buddies might not like Metal Gear Solid, it might be because someone who spends several years in the military might not want to play a military themed game in his spare time. Big Grin

Actually both of them (the two buddies who first initiated the talk of Splinter Cell vs. MGS) have only been in for a year, and they ain't the military buffs you might think we should be...one spends all his time playing video games and watching comedy anime, the other one plays video games, eats and sleeps. In their own regards, they make themselves out to be losers, not that I'm calling them that... Big Grin

But that tidbit did shed some light for me. Unfortunately it won't help change the fact that they won't ever accept MGS as a game worth their time, even if I were to give them a controller and MGS3 Substance...meh.
seraphjei 01-24-2007 12:45 AM
MGS has a better story.
Splinter cell is hard as sh**.

Thats my short conclusive summary of both games.
Revan 01-26-2007 03:39 AM
Hmm I thought MGS would be more popular as the entire Metal Gear series has been around for much longer.

I've not played Splinter Cell at all, so I can't really comment on it other than Sam looks like he has a spot of photophobia. Tongue
Sharpshooter005 01-27-2007 06:08 AM
quote:
MGS has a better story.

Yet at the same time you have a guy who uses bees as a weapon, wears camoflague that looks like the stripes on a bee, and is made OF bees.