Gunslinger Girl

Asirt 01-20-2007 08:41 PM

The girl has a mechanical body. However, she is still an adolescent child...

Summary [Provided by Anime News Network] -

"Henrietta" was an innocent little girl when her entire family was massacred and she was left for dead. She was rescued by a privately-owned social welfare organization and given cybernetic components over her battered body. Brainwashed by the organization, she and four other girls now work as cold-blooded assassins, doing the dirty work for the Italian government.

Current Info -

The series aired in Japan back in 2003, and was generally well-received. It made its way to the US in 2005, and is not very well known. It is currently airing on IFC as well as the FUNimation Channel. All three DVDs have been released in a box set format. The manga is still currently in the works in Japan. Three video games based on the manga have been released for the PS2.

OP's Opinion -

This isn't your typical series with huge sweatdrops, facefaults, and other anime cliches. It's a serious and dramtic series that starts out slow, but then gets interesting later. Because of the brainwashing, these young girls lack common sense and are extremely emotional. Despite that, though, they have different personalities that viewers can relate to. While it gives out that "Noir, but with children" feel, it focuses more on the storyline that on the gunfights. There is at least one gunfight per episode, though.

I enjoyed it quite well, though the manga gets into more detail with certain events than the anime did. Not everyone will enjoy the series, though. For those who don't like to think when watching a show, it may not be for you. However, for those who want something different for a change, Gunslinger Girl may give you what you want.

Other -

Considering how old this show is, I'm surprised no one made a thread already. Anyone else see this series? What did you think of it? For those who haven't seen it, does it interest you?

Home of the Gunslingers -

FUNimation's Gunslinger Girl Home Page
Official Japanese Gunslinger Girl Home Page
Sharpshooter005 01-21-2007 12:01 AM
I only got through three episodes, after that I was getting tired of the show hitting me repeatedly in the face with a hammer made entirely out of melodrama.

EDIT: Someone also needs to post that .gif of henriettas gun jamming, and her staring directly down the barrel.
Asirt 01-21-2007 12:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
EDIT: Someone also needs to post that .gif of henriettas gun jamming, and her staring directly down the barrel.

seraphjei 01-21-2007 03:17 AM
A show about girl assassins and no fanservice? Something seems odd about that.

Joking aside i've seen this series and its fairly enjoyable. Early episodes are repetitive but it gets better as it picks up momentum. Go ahead and watch it, although I will say the manga is loads better.
Asirt 01-21-2007 08:28 AM
quote:
Originally posted by seraphjei

Indeed. Tongue

quote:
Early episodes are repetitive but it gets better as it picks up momentum.

Yeah. You can pretty much skip the first episode, since the second is almost the same with additional scenes.

quote:
Go ahead and watch it, although I will say the manga is loads better.

Having read some of the manga, I agree.
Ace378 01-23-2007 01:24 PM
Ive seen this series. Its pretty good imo about a 7-8/10 . It ends kinda of flat though as far as the anime is concerned. Well kinda but I suppose what I'm really getting at is that I wish it had more episodes ><. As far as the dubbing goes it was pretty good: some things were a little misplaced as I recall but nothing too bad. And I agree this series starts off kinda slow but it does pickup speed after the first couple of series. Aside from that the animation looks pretty nice and the detail on some of the more finer points was done pretty well. Only other thing to say is ya gotta love that sniper support Tongue
Wingnut 01-23-2007 01:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Asirt
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005

*Puts face in hand and shakes head* Not exactly the brightest thing to do when you weapon jams now is it? At least she took her finger off the trigger before she looked.
Sharpshooter005 01-23-2007 04:17 PM
Well she is half-robotic so theres probably a replacement eye lying around anyway.

It's sort of like the 6 million dollar man but they dont make that like....you know, that noise...whenever they do stuff
Asirt 01-23-2007 08:52 PM
Asirt's Gunslinger Girl Character Ranking -

1) Triela
2) Claes
3) Henrietta
4) Rico
5) Angelica

I didn't like Angelica all that much.

By the way, best moment in the entire series?

spoiler (highlight to read):
Claes bitchslapping Angelica. BEST. SCENE. EVER. Tongue

quote:
What I'm really getting at is that I wish it had more episodes ><.

This and AIR should be getting more episodes.

quote:
Only other thing to say is ya gotta love that sniper support Tongue

Agreed. Tongue
seraphjei 01-24-2007 02:11 AM
quote:
By the way, best moment in the entire series?

Claes bitchslapping Angelica. BEST. SCENE. EVER. Tongue

so damn true. I must have laughed for at least 20 or so seconds. It was done so professionally. Claes was my hero in this show.

New episodes would be good, but I like the bittersweet taste at the end of the anime. I'm glad they didn't end with closure. It left the series open for the viewer to guess the next event(s) for oneself.
example:
Angelica dieing...maybe
The ending is reall slice-of-life sorta deal like how Azumanga ended. Those endings are always fun. But the manga introduces two new girls to the team, meaning two new handlers. So I would like to see that. But I have heard much news about new episodes.
Spoderman 01-24-2007 04:29 PM
Did you all know that the music for Gunslinger Girl is composed by the same guy who composed Big O's music?

I was watching Gunslinger Girl, and I noticed that one of the orchestral pieces sounded strangely similar to The Storm, from the Big O soundtrack (its mostly noticeable in the opening chords). A quick trip to imdb confirmed it.

The series is good, but nothing really stands out. I loathed the ending. The 9th Symphony is a phenomenal, outstanding piece of work, and it doesn't really fit Gunslinger Girl as well as... say... Evangelion...
SEELE 08 01-25-2007 10:53 AM
I really gotta get my hands on the anime, I've read like three or four volumes of the manga and it rocks. Of course I have a known affinity for cyborgs..
Nine Kuze 01-30-2007 12:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by seraphjei

Bad form, Gunslinger. Bad form. Where Evangelion where you need it? Nah, I'm kiddin'. Evangelion can keep that and I'm enjoying this already more than I did with Eva.

Anyway, I finally got a chance to catch Gunslinger Girl and even though I only saw one episode, I already think the show kicks ass. I saw the episode, I think its called "Bambola", where the guy with the black hair and Triela (at least I think its her, the one with the blonde pigtails and sounds like Winry from FMA) go after a former Mafia member while she's on her period. From the art direction to the characters, I really like the show already. Also, the opening theme was good too.

quote:
The series aired in Japan back in 2003, and was generally well-received. It made its way to the US in 2005, and is not very well known. It is currently airing on IFC as well as the FUNimation Channel.

Yeah, the IFC is where I saw the series. On its hour long anime block, along with another show called Basilisk, which is damn good as well.
Peace.
Asirt 01-30-2007 01:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Anyway, I finally got a chance to catch Gunslinger Girl and even though I only saw one episode, I already think the show kicks ass. I saw the episode, I think its called "Bambola", where the guy with the black hair and Triela (at least I think its her, the one with the blonde pigtails and sounds like Winry from FMA) go after a former Mafia member while she's on her period.

Yeah, that was a good episode. My favorite one has to go to episode 12 (simbiosi), with episode 9 (Lycoris radiata Herb) not too far behind.

quote:
Yeah, the IFC is where I saw the series. On its hour long anime block, along with another show called Basilisk, which is damn good as well.

I didn't even see the show until I got the DVD Box set, so I was only interested in the series for the storyline and animation at the time.