Neat: IGN must-see anime list

Patsai 01-09-2007 11:04 PM
I was scrolling through IGN's site when I saw this article on the home page. I was surprised to see the Big O listed as the second must-see anime, considering it's IGN's top animes.

Take a peek.

EDIT: I was a bit disappointed that Hikaru No Go was listed as "avoid it" because it was a good show. I wasn't as much interested in the game of Go as I was with its fantastically gripping character development.
Zopwx2 01-10-2007 03:14 AM
wow, big o a must see?
Pygmalion 01-10-2007 08:47 AM
I'm always happy to see Big O get the attention it deserves, but the rest of the article is disappointing.

A more accurate title would be "My opinion on the current anime crop." It's rather contradictory to mention Pokemon or Zatch Bell in an article entitled "Anime Worth Your Time" if you're just going to say "avoid it." Had Jason Van Horn stuck to anime that were indeed worth one's time, he'd have had room for twice as many good series, such as Paranoia Agent.

Pygmalion
Nine Kuze 01-10-2007 12:08 PM
Not a bad article and nice find, Patsai.

I didn't like some the reasoning the writer gave for some of the anime, like FMA for example. And Trinity Blood as "Must Watch"? Apparently, someone themselves haven't watched the series. He did get InuYasha down though.

Um, I was just thinking, its kickass that Big O got the damn good review that it did but shouldn't this be in the Ailesberry Farm. It deals with an array of anime outiside that of Big O and I was just wondering about that.
Peace.
Mr. Peabody 01-10-2007 01:22 PM
I'm glad that Big O got some respect here, but I can't believe they didn't list Cowboy Bebop. Shocked
evanASF27 01-10-2007 01:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
I'm glad that Big O got some respect here, but I can't believe they didn't list Cowboy Bebop. Shocked

That's because Cowboy Bebop wins by default! Big Grin
Valdoom 01-10-2007 04:00 PM
I agree about Cowboy Bebop. I thought it was funny that they said you should watch Trinity Blood, but everyone here seems to hate it.
Nine Kuze 01-10-2007 04:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Valdoom
I agree about Cowboy Bebop. I thought it was funny that they said you should watch Trinity Blood, but everyone here seems to hate it.

Well in those regards, the only thing the writer noted on was how he was gushing over the animated direction and the visual aspects of the show. Which isn't bad, since that's the only plus the show has going for it.

Very clever and subtle that he left out anything regarding the plot and the characters really. Or in this exact case, a majority lack there of.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 01-10-2007 04:23 PM
Afro Samurai....Inuyasha...Zatch Bell...Trinity Blood.

Yeah this is an IGN article all right
SEELE 08 01-10-2007 05:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Afro Samurai....Inuyasha...Zatch Bell...Trinity Blood.

Yeah this is an IGN article all right

Zatch Bell and Big O shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. That said... *shoots self in head*
Revan 01-11-2007 02:55 AM
Good to see Big O getting some recognition it deserves, even though they made a Batman comparison right at the beginning of its article... Oh Well

And yeah I agree, shame on them for not including Cowboy Bebop.
Sharpshooter005 01-11-2007 04:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Revan
even though they made a Batman comparison right at the beginning of its article... Oh Well

That same thought occured to pretty much everyone who's seen even five minutes of both so...I'm not sure I see the issue here
Tickle Tickle 01-13-2007 01:29 PM
Boo. Any list that says Naruto is a "must see" should be brought out to a field and shot.
seraphjei 01-14-2007 12:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Umino
Boo. Any list that says Naruto is a "must see" should be brought out to a field and shot.

Samurai Champloo > Naruto anyday

Calling Naruto a "must watch" and labeling Samurai Champloo with just a mere "check it out" is blasphemy.
Spoderman 01-23-2007 04:36 PM
I hate to break it to you, but it seems as the source material for this article seems to be pretty much a search of Google and Adultswim.com, and though this makes the mention of Big O pretty cool, it was probably a coincidence.

While some titles listed are indeed worthwhile: Big O, Champloo, 40% of Fullmetal Alchemist (I'll explain later), the rest of everything listed sucks.

In fact, the rest of the listed shows suck so goddamn badly, that it is beyond all my comprehension as to why they have fanbases.

I'm extremely critical when it comes to anime, because most of it sucks, and the ones that don't are oftentimes extremely overrated (and sometimes the shows are ruined because of the fanbase. nobody wants to be associated with idiots).

Here's a list of anime worth watching

Samurai Champloo
Big O
Parts of Fullmetal Alchemist
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Berserk
Cowboy Bebop

Now, my beef with Fullmetal Alchemist is not only the ridiculous length of the series (and yes, most of it is filler), but with the fact that whenever a serious plot point or something totally badass or dramatic occurs, this action is IMMEDIATELY followed by something completely retarded.

EXAMPLE:

Dramatic Event: Hohenheim Elrich suddenly returns after X years in abscence

Idiocy: Ed's first action is to charge him and punch him in the head in a manner that shatters all the seriousness at hand.

This happens about once every episode and I really get sick of the same schtick when its used for a series the length of FMA. I cut the entire series down to a watchable 30 episodes that loses no plot development or significance, with an 80% loss of bullsh**.

Also, the movie sucks.
Sharpshooter005 01-23-2007 05:04 PM
quote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion

I'd have gone with paranoia agent since....I never really laughed at that show after having seen it once (at least not at something which I'm pretty sure wasn't intended to be funny)
Nine Kuze 01-23-2007 11:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Spoderman
Now, my beef with Fullmetal Alchemist is not only the ridiculous length of the series (and yes, most of it is filler), but with the fact that whenever a serious plot point or something totally badass or dramatic occurs, this action is IMMEDIATELY followed by something completely retarded.

EXAMPLE:

Dramatic Event: Hohenheim Elrich suddenly returns after X years in abscence

Idiocy: Ed's first action is to charge him and punch him in the head in a manner that shatters all the seriousness at hand.

This happens about once every episode and I really get sick of the same schtick when its used for a series the length of FMA. I cut the entire series down to a watchable 30 episodes that loses no plot development or significance, with an 80% loss of bullsh**.

Also, the movie sucks.

As much of a fan of FMA I am, I have to agree with the majority of this rant. I have to be the only person who watches the show that isn't annoyed by the length of the series. I know its long and the majority of it can be argued and considered as filler, such as the part that is currently showing on [adult swim] right now. But FMA is not a bad anime series by any means. And above, the example that was used is a damn good indiciator of one of the flaws in FMA, although in the manga that exact scene was pulled with much more poise. Also, I haven't seen the movie yet.

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
Neon Genesis Evangelion

I'd have gone with paranoia agent since....I never really laughed at that show after having seen it once (at least not at something which I'm pretty sure wasn't intended to be funny)

In the terms of the workings of the inner mind and the psychology of people and emotional baggage that is carried then yeah, Paranoia is a far, far better series in terms of quality than Evangelion wishes it was. Actually come to think of it, I'd think that would be a good series to see continued in some form or way.

Also, looking back on some of the comments that the writer said about certain anime shows, I'm starting to think that it was more along the lines of what Sharpie and Spoderman said about IGN and the actual contents of the article. That was I noticed in most articles written about anime shows lately, they seem to be about the generic and quick response instead to taking time and looking deeper into the series and the anime genre itself.
Peace.
Spoderman 01-24-2007 02:37 PM
Eh, Evangelion will always be my favorite.

Sure, it's a close-minded view, but it's damn hard to argue that Evangelion isn't one of the best.

Evangelion gets a bad reputation as being pretentious, bizarre, and open-ended, but this is really a matter of interpretation. I believe this is ultimately due to the idiot fans who run up and down the street proclaiming Eva as the highest form of art, writing theses and dissertations upon the slightest notions of possible meaning. When you overanalyze ANYTHING, it's easy to make it look bad.

Evangelion is one of those things where you either love it or hate it, and personally, I found it very appealing.

For the record though, I enjoyed FMA quite a bit, when it wasn't being retarded. Also, you're better off not seeing the movie.
spoiler (highlight to read):
It blows, and you will hate the ending.
Nine Kuze 01-24-2007 02:57 PM
I understand what you are saying about Evangelion, and actually I do like the series myself (without the last two episodes mean you, but yeah) but I also tend to see what the hater base has against it and I find myself relating to their issues with Evangelion as well (the ending, the Freudian ripoffs, Asuka, the depression overuse, what else have you, etc.).

quote:
Originally posted by Spoderman
For the record though, I enjoyed FMA quite a bit, when it wasn't being retarded. Also, you're better off not seeing the movie.
spoiler (highlight to read):
It blows, and you will hate the ending.

I already know about the movie, read the synopsis and viewed some of the clips as well. When I read the synopsis, it sounded weak to me but I'm still willing to give it a shot nonetheless.

I was actually going to post something about the filler of FMA, but I'll get to that later.
Peace
Spoderman 01-24-2007 03:02 PM
quote:
(the ending, the Freudian ripoffs, Asuka, the depression overuse, what else have you, etc.).

End of Evangelion is better, don't get me wrong, but I've never understood why the last two episodes are hated so much; I see them as quite artistic. They're a departure from the rest of the series (even though it was unintentional) and I respect that. I also don't understand why Asuka is also hated; she's easily the most dynamic character, and I, for one, think Tiffany Grant did an excellent job portraying her character.

k you can throw your rocks now.