Iwao Takamoto dies at age 81

Asirt 01-09-2007 12:41 PM
He is well known for the creation of the animated dog, Scooby Doo.

quote:
Originally from BBC article
Iwao Takamoto, the US animator who created cartoon dogs Scooby-Doo and Muttley, has died aged 81.

He was responsible for characters from The Flintstones and The Jetsons when he worked for the Hanna-Barbera studio.

And he assisted in the design of films including Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians and Cinderella, during a career spanning more than six decades.

Mr Takamoto was a vice-president at Warner Bros Animation at the time of his death, caused by heart failure.

He said he created Scooby-Doo after talking to someone who looked after Great Danes.

Read the rest here.
Nine Kuze 01-09-2007 12:52 PM
Ow, sounds like ol' boy worked and brought about a lot of timeless characters. I didn't know that.

That's a shame and rest in peace.
Peace.
Chitter-Box-Kat 01-09-2007 02:59 PM
Wow. I never knew. Neutral

It's a shame. In pace requiescat. Rest in peace.
Capt. Quekolis 01-09-2007 07:09 PM
The guy who invented Ramen noodles died also.
seraphjei 01-09-2007 08:58 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ltwhipporwill

At age 96, I found it ironic that the man who invented Top Ramen lived for so long. You would think the guy who invented top ramen to die a lot earlier, you know, because top ramen is the devils life sucking snack of choice.
Wazpy 01-09-2007 09:54 PM
Obviously I'm not happy these Hanna Barbara related people died, but I'm not sad about it either. I'd say that those crappy cartoons set the whole field of cartooning back 20 years. Compare the animation of old Looney Tunes or Popeye cartoons to all that came about with the creations of the Flintstones and Scooby Doo. We're only now catching up to the level of maturity of the animation we were at.
SmothPocket 01-09-2007 11:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
Obviously I'm not happy these Hanna Barbara related people died, but I'm not sad about it either. I'd say that those crappy cartoons set the whole field of cartooning back 20 years. Compare the animation of old Looney Tunes or Popeye cartoons to all that came about with the creations of the Flintstones and Scooby Doo. We're only now catching up to the level of maturity of the animation we were at.

I think they are good cartoons... I was nice back in the day when cartoons had idea to them, and didn't have to rely on stupified jokes to try to get people to watch. I do agree however that the animations used in those cartoons were ahead of their time. Well... Thank you Mr.Takamoto RIP.
evanASF27 01-10-2007 01:24 AM
quote:
Originally posted by seraphjei
quote:
Originally posted by Ltwhipporwill

At age 96, I found it ironic that the man who invented Top Ramen lived for so long. You would think the guy who invented top ramen to die a lot earlier, you know, because top ramen is the devils life sucking snack of choice.

But it is the working-man's food of choice! And college students' best friend!

Sharpshooter005 01-14-2007 11:45 PM
quote:
Iwao Takamoto, the US animator who created cartoon dogs Scooby-Doo and Muttley, has died aged 81.

And with his last breath, he cursed those meddling kids.
Hollow XXVI 01-14-2007 11:47 PM
And laughed hoarsely.