The Anti-Family Guy Thread

Nine Kuze 01-09-2007 12:14 PM
I was watching the latest Family Guy episodes on Fox on Sunday, where they were playing a full hour for it after one of the NFL Wild-Card playoff games.

Anyway, the episodes were about how Stewie signed himself and along with Brian into the Armed Forces and they are sent overseas to Iraq and the other episode was how Meg wanted to buy a car but Peter buys a tank instead and a large Costco-like warehouse is taking voer Quahog.

In simple terms, the show now sucks beyond realization and is a far, far cry away from what it was in its heyday. The whole emphasis of the two shows were about its cut-away jokes (which for a long time now, lost its humor) and its numerous references to just about everything that no one either knows about or is beyond there time. In one instance, Stewie is talking to Brian and he does the usual "Like that one time you went to (insert character or random person doing someone zany or edgey)" and then they didn't show anything and Stewie said "What, no clip for that one? I thought we had clip." Its crap like this that makes FG so damn intolerable.

This can be used for a general Famiy Guy thread and the only reason that it was "Anti" in the thread title is just my own personal feeling on what I feel about Family Guy. If you like the show, then cool and you are welcome to post it as you wish. Just for myself, I can't stand the show.
Peace.
Asirt 01-09-2007 12:18 PM
The first three seasons of Family Guy were all right. I lost interest after the third season, though, so I can't say if the newer seasons are good or bad.

quote:
cut-away jokes

I will agree that the show relies on this often. That and its 80's sitcom references.
Wazpy 01-09-2007 12:28 PM
Family Guy is the same as it's always been. I don't understand why it got so popular with all these "Bros" as they are now called. I'm the only one who ever seems to get all the 80's sitcom jokes due to my Nick at Nite training... and those jokes are at least 40% of the show and always have been...
Sharpshooter005 01-09-2007 12:39 PM
A thread specifically devoted to calling seth macfarlene an overrated hack? But christmas was last month!

quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Anyway, the episodes were about how Stewie signed himself and along with Brian into the Armed Forces and they are sent overseas to Iraq and the other episode was how Meg wanted to buy a car but Peter buys a tank instead and a large Costco-like warehouse is taking voer Quahog.

The former actually managed to have a plot with a fairly logical progression, and even more shocking for family guy the jokes actually had a context in alot of cases.

The latter I forget if I saw, I'm willing to mark it up as a disaster though since...the odds favor that.

quote:
In simple terms, the show now sucks beyond realization and is a far, far cry away from what it was in its heyday. The whole emphasis of the two shows were about its cut-away jokes (which for a long time now, lost its humor) and its numerous references to just about everything that no one either knows about or is beyond there time.

Now?

Everything you just described was there from the get-go. The only reason people fondly remember the earlier seasons is all of the listed aspects hadn't been retread ad nauseum yet. I frankly never understood what the huge appeal of family guy was.

As to why its bad now. Once they brought this show back, it immidiately turned into not only non-stop 1980s pop culture references, but references to earlier seasons. Yes, now they can just reference THEIR OWN WORK and have it be seen as some sort of meta-humor.
Nine Kuze 01-09-2007 12:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
A thread specifically devoted to calling seth macfarlene an overrated hack? But christmas was last month!

I'm late, I know. Also, this is a general Family Guy thread. But if you want to express your utter hatred towards MacFarlene and the rest of the FG crew, then go right on ahead as well.

quote:
quote:
In simple terms, the show now sucks beyond realization and is a far, far cry away from what it was in its heyday. The whole emphasis of the two shows were about its cut-away jokes (which for a long time now, lost its humor) and its numerous references to just about everything that no one either knows about or is beyond there time.

Now?

Everything you just described was there from the get-go. The only reason people fondly remember the earlier seasons is all of the listed aspects hadn't been retread ad nauseum yet. I frankly never understood what the huge appeal of family guy was, and wasn't surprised when the writers just sort of gave up after the show was brought back from cancellation

True, but unlike the earlier episodes, the new episodes just seem to start off with an idea, start the cut-away joke montage and just string that all until the end where the plot is wrapped up (badly, but still). The older episodes did the same thing but there were way less cut-away jokes and they sticked to the plot more than what is happening now.

quote:
As to why its bad now. Once they brought this show back, it immidiately turned into not only non-stop 1980s pop culture references, but references to earlier seasons. Yes, now they can just reference THEIR OWN WORK and have it be seen as some sort of meta-humor.

That's basically the gist of it really, they reference other decades of time as well. But the odd as hell obession with the 80's is really pulling the show, especially when they focus more on that than anything else at certain times.

quote:
Originally posted by Wazpy
Family Guy is the same as it's always been. I don't understand why it got so popular with all these "Bros" as they are now called. I'm the only one who ever seems to get all the 80's sitcom jokes due to my Nick at Nite training... and those jokes are at least 40% of the show and always have been...

I get the 80's jokes, but its basically overkill. And what are you talking about with the "Bros"?
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 01-09-2007 12:52 PM
quote:
if you want to express your utter hatred towards MacFarlene and the rest of the FG crew, then go right on ahead as well.

Heres the part even I dont understand.

I don't find American Dad that bad of a show. Same basic writers from what I understand, yet its leaps and bounds ahead of family guy.

Also theres a short that Macfarlene made in..college I think, which should be floating around the internet. It's basically five minutes of the first episode of family guy, the jokes are verbatim copies of stuff in the first couple of aired episodes (and the very beginning and end are practically identical to those bumps AS aired for a week with him in the smoking jacket acting like an eccentric wealthy guy). It's just weird seeing it and realizing how consistent it all is.
Nine Kuze 01-09-2007 12:55 PM
quote:
quote:
if you want to express your utter hatred towards MacFarlene and the rest of the FG crew, then go right on ahead as well.

Heres the part even I dont understand.

I don't find American Dad that bad of a show. Same basic writers from what I understand, yet its leaps and bounds ahead of family guy.

Actually, I was going to mention that as well but I forgot. The latest episode of Family Guy is far, far more superior than Family Guy and like you said, its basically the same from the majority to the voice acting to the writing as well.

Like the lastest episode of American Dad, where George Bush came over to dinner and ended up drink like you know what, and Steve and Roger trying to find Osama Bin Laden from A Beautiful Mind-like parody, was much better than both of the Family Guy episodes as well. Its kind of weird how that happens to be, where the same guy make a spinoff of his "best" work and its actually better. Well, AD doesn't suffer from the same faults that FG does so maybe that factors into it as well.
Peace.
The Baker St. Irregular 01-09-2007 01:30 PM
I'm waiting for Judgement Day, when holy lord and god Futurama will return to Earth to smite Family Guy.
Sharpshooter005 01-09-2007 03:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise
I'm waiting for Judgement Day, when holy lord and god Futurama will return to Earth to smite Family Guy.

Do you mean in terms of the ratings the reruns get on AS or the dvds/new episodes which I think comedy central has the rights too now (or at least I think they got the rights to air the original seasons, and somewhere I heard the actual televised new episodes would be on there, but this stuff changes so often it seems.)

Because the former...alot of people have bad taste. The latter, however, from what I've heard is going to happen...or it damn well better.
Nine Kuze 01-09-2007 03:38 PM
Yeah, haven't the new episodes already been released on DVD by now?

Didn't know that Comedy Central had the rights to them though.
Peace.
Mike 01-09-2007 04:20 PM
In the old episodes, there was a plot, with a little padding by the completely random, but really funny jokes. The new ones are all random references, with the barest semblance of a plot to string them together, although there actually are some good ones. It's a lot like the Simpsons before and after the death of Phil Hartman. That's when I say they jumped the shark.
NVWC2006 01-09-2007 05:16 PM
i had been unable to watch tv for a while due to lack of time. then when i could watch it, it ended up being that episode with the tank, very anti-walmart.

and i realized something.

it was like, since family guy was successful, seth green and his team, or whomever, when they got the go to do another show, wanted to help spread their opinions, and show what they thought, so American Dad was made as a target of politics. but it was just so outragously silly that people just took it as funny and it did not have any moving political power as might have been intended.

so then, that will is being incorporated into Family Guy to get ITS 'faithful' viewers to change sides if they haven't already, and in turn has made the show bad.

i don't know everything going on about it, but that's what i think.
Capt. Quekolis 01-09-2007 07:07 PM
At first Family Guy was funny but then after seeing it so much it got really lame and unfunny. Its just the same old pointless random crap over and over. [as] needs to invest their money in better shows. (I think we all know what)
Sharpshooter005 01-10-2007 05:31 AM
quote:
Yeah, haven't the new episodes already been released on DVD by now?

2007, I think late 2007 but I read that somewhere a while ago so maybe it changed.

quote:
seth green and his team

Seth green is responsible for the abortion of a show that is robot chicken. He just does one of the voices on family guy.

Wait, no. That comparison is denegrating to abortions, I apologize.
Dude Love 01-10-2007 02:37 PM
A few of my college buddies and I started discussing Family Guy. We decided that the South Park episode was correct: the show really is written by manatees with idea balls.
Hollow XXVI 01-10-2007 05:38 PM
Family Guy doesn't usually make me laugh, it makes me stare at it in disbelief that...people actually watch it.

Keeps up hope that I could actually make a cartoon at least.
Volt 01-10-2007 09:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dude Love
A few of my college buddies and I started discussing Family Guy. We decided that the South Park episode was correct: the show really is written by manatees with idea balls.

Although I agree a lot of the newer Family Guys are lame, honestly South Park has no room. The newer episodes are so mundane I can't even watch through a single one. The Warcraft one was good, but it was basically foretelling the sh** that was coming: reusing the same joke again and again through the episode (e.g. "Science H. Logic!"), or in the case of the retarded Wii episode, two episodes of constant product advertisement.

Anyway, Family Guy's gone down the tubes. There are still a few funny jokes but the constant reusing of every single semi-funny part of the show. I mean, about a month after the episode where it first happened, Cleveland's house somehow got destroyed and his bath tub fell out of it. Also, the Greased-up Deaf Guy was never funny. I too await the return of Futurama. I've been watching a lot of Season 3 lately and I'm hard-pressed to find any funnier animation.
Patsai 01-11-2007 09:52 PM
I think the problem with Family Guy nowadays is its predictability. Back then, the jokes on Family Guy were so unpredictabily outrageous, I just came coming back for more. Recently, this "unpredictability" is few and far between. When it does have it, it's golden, but it's just lost its gloss after these jokes just became more and more predictable or just didn't pull off well.
Sharpshooter005 01-11-2007 11:11 PM
quote:
Back then, the jokes on Family Guy were so unpredictabily outrageous

Again. I never really saw what was so "outrageous" about family guy.

Also...why did I get the "mary hartman, mary hartman" reference in the iraq episode of family guy. I wasn't even alive when that show was on, nor do I remember ever seeing a single episode of it. I'm baffled by this.
Yamada Hanatarou 01-12-2007 07:56 PM
...It was much more random in the past...although whatever happens whenever they say "This is worst than the time when_" is somewhat random, it is just not as funny because of the freaking intro to the joke...Also, they just seem to talk so very fast to get everything they wanna say...no one stops for a second...new family guy sucks.