The Anti-Family Guy Thread

Brock 01-12-2007 11:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
.. its numerous references to just about everything that no one either knows about or is beyond there time.

I think this was best represented in one scene where they actually mentioned a person, and it showed a clip of the man writing on a piece of paper. The man looks up at the camera, and he says directly to the viewer, "You don't even know who I am."

..And, honest to God, I didn't know who he was.

And from that point on, the only real fascination I had with the show was to see how many references I could catch. That's practically all the show is good for: Nostalgia. And nostalgia is a good basis for a television show, as it taps into a deep-rooted pleasure center in the human mind. We like to feel nostalgic in some sense, and looking back on things from our younger years makes us "feel good", for the most part. Sharing that nostalgia further increases how pleased we are, because we like to think we have things in common, even with characters from a cartoon show.

The same goes for a lot of other shows, including Robot Chicken.. Primarily based on Nostalgia, and jokes hooked around topics we feel Nostalgic towards.

Whether the show is actually "good" or not anymore has ceased to be the point.. The point is whether people enjoy watching it. And from the looks of ratings, the answer comes pretty clearly.
Sharpshooter005 01-14-2007 11:32 PM
quote:
taps into a deep-rooted pleasure center in the human mind.

I don't know, I'm pretty happy that I know who Benjamin Disraeli is, yet I have no idea what the f*** a voltron is (it's some kind of robot, I get that much)
Hollow XXVI 01-14-2007 11:40 PM
I think Voltron is predecessor to Power Rangers? Or something?
Brock 01-16-2007 03:03 PM
I don't know, I picked up on the fact that a bunch of robots or.. people combine. And form a Voltron. It's a big robot.. Thing. I saw it on the Telly.

..These are questions best left to Wikipedia.
Nine Kuze 01-24-2007 04:22 PM
Why is the Voltron thing being tossed around here so much? Look, basically its an 80's anime series revolving around a giant piloted mecha that is comprised of five other mecha joined into one (the mechas are based off of lions). When the five lions join together and form Voltron, they become the defenders against the universe against the evil king and prince trying to take over the planet they are from and the princess... respectfully.

It could be worse, it could be The Electric Company. One of the new episode had like a two-minute cut-away joke (with the newscasters starting it off no less) about a musical group by that name and I was just amazed at the sheer fact that I was watching that drivel.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 01-24-2007 08:24 PM
quote:
princess... respectfully.

So they...defend this princess from being treated 'disrespectfully"? So what, she blows her rape whistle and a robot comes from out of nowhere to fight space-rapists?

Also the electric company was some like...taxpayer funded (sorry, "public television") kids show I think
Nine Kuze 01-25-2007 02:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
princess... respectfully.

So they...defend this princess from being treated 'disrespectfully"? So what, she blows her rape whistle and a robot comes from out of nowhere to fight space-rapists?

Also the electric company was some like...taxpayer funded (sorry, "public television") kids show I think

When I typed that up, what I meant was that in respect sequence the king wanted to conquer the planet as the prince was more interested in conquering the princess of the planet, who was one of the pilots of the mecha lions.

But of course as usual, your scenario is much, much better.

Also, like so many of the annoying references that FG throws out there for basically no reason, I didn't know about the Electric Company before hand and the way it was displayed, it'd looked like an 80's music group.

Those darn 1980's.
Peace.
Ace of Spades 01-25-2007 02:06 PM
I'm going to have to agree on this. Family Guy is losing its touch. Practically every episode has to have an 80's reference or some hidden world events message. Should have stayed canceled after season 4.
Sharpshooter005 01-25-2007 08:35 PM
quote:
some hidden world events message

The writers of FG wouldn't know how to do subtle social or political humor if you began violently hitting them with a bat that had an example of it written on the side
Ace of Spades 01-29-2007 11:19 AM
quote:
quote:
some hidden world events message

The writers of FG wouldn't know how to do subtle social or political humor if you began violently hitting them with a bat that had an example of it written on the side

Better make that a Nail Bat after last nights episode. Mayor West is losing his touch as well.
Nine Kuze 02-14-2007 11:58 AM
I don't know if anybody saw the latest bullsh** (its the newest one I saw anyway) that FG came up with recently but that one girl that Stewie did a tap-dancing routine with, Olivia, came back and Stewie instantly fell for her, they started going out and then they got married. Stewie suspected that Olivia was cheating on him with some stiffed hurt poser and burned down the cardboard house that they made in the backyard with the two of them still in it (I wish I was making this up...)

Also, Peter got into a chick-flick phase and made his own movie... its much worse than it sounds, yeah.

Basically the whole episode was a piss-poor parody of Good Will Hunting, Annie Hall, some Rebel Without a Cause in there and the bad generic chick flicks that are runnin' wild these days. Well, its my fault for watching it in the first place I suppose.

Also, The Simpsons episode with Bart getting married (i c wat was done here) was alright but kind of sucked too.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 02-14-2007 12:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
Also, Peter got into a chick-flick phase and made his own movie... its much worse than it sounds, yeah.

"WE NEED TO GET HER TO A DOCTOR RIGHT-STAT-NOW" made me sort of chuckle but otherwise yeah it wasn't that good of an episode.

Also I was going crazy trying to figure out who the f*** did one of the guest voices. The other kid stewie eventually kills or whatever

edit: Wow, according to wikipedia it was alan alda and it wasn't credited...I sort of thought so then went "nah thats not right"
Nine Kuze 02-14-2007 12:08 PM
quote:
Also I was going crazy trying to figure out who the f*** did one of the guest voices.

If it's the little blonde kid that you are talking about then yeah, that drove me crazy as well. Still don't know who did that one though.

EDIT: Alan Alda huh? Actually, that did sound like him. Why the hell he's going so low to do Family Guy is beyond me.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 03-07-2007 03:37 PM
"UGH. BRIAN HAS RLY LET HIMSELF GO. THIS IS WORZE THAN THAT 1 TYME I MADE A DOUBLE POST ON PCF."

*cut to clip showing Nine making a double post and Stewie making a weak joke*

You get the idea, no?

I watched the latest episode of Family Guy and it was basically about how Peter watched the Blue Collar Comedy Tour and he starts adapting the ways of the redneck so to say. Anyway, one thing idiotically leads to another and Peter gets Quagmire fired, there's a beyond random cameo with Hugh Hefner and the end is ripped off of Airplane!

Anyway, the worst thing in this episode was a cut away joke about babies that are thrown away by high schoolgirls on prom night. With dancing fetuses swinging their still attached umbrical cords like canes from a 1930's musical and repeating the chorus of "PROM NIGHT DUMPSTER BABY" in a monotone voice.

To be honest, I hate myself for continuing to watch this bullsh** from time to time. And calcuator jokes by spelling "boob" on them? Come on.
Peace.
Hollow XXVI 03-07-2007 06:50 PM
I just watch Futurama, yeah.
Sharpshooter005 03-07-2007 08:45 PM
quote:
With dancing fetuses swinging their still attached umbrical cords like canes from a 1930's musical and repeating the chorus of "PROM NIGHT DUMPSTER BABY" in a monotone voice.

...Okay actually that sounds like it might have been funny, probably just because of how you described it
Nine Kuze 03-07-2007 10:56 PM
quote:
quote:
With dancing fetuses swinging their still attached umbrical cords like canes from a 1930's musical and repeating the chorus of "PROM NIGHT DUMPSTER BABY" in a monotone voice.

...Okay actually that sounds like it might have been funny, probably just because of how you described it

...it's probably just the way I described it because watching it, I was embarrassed that I was even doing so and how idiotic this as all become.
Peace.
Hollow XXVI 03-07-2007 11:50 PM
...is it still better than the new Simpsons eps?
Nine Kuze 03-07-2007 11:56 PM
Absoultely not.

The latest Simpsons episode I saw, with Bart telling a fake scary story about a faux school chef and having to be requried to therapy, wasn't too bad actually.

Especially when Bart told the story in the beginning, it cut away to a new animation style like something out of a children's book (Where the Wild Things Are comes straight to mind) was pretty cool. So yeah, The Simpsons is still superior by far to FG.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 03-09-2007 02:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Hollow XXVI
...is it still better than the new Simpsons eps?

I still like the simpsons. Maybe I'm just so used to that show since..hell I was raised on that, but really I don't get this "OMG THEY'RE SO UNWATCHABLY BAD"

I mean yeah, the show's...definately got problems, the old episodes (not the first season, the show hadn't hit its stride yet) definately were better, thats not nostalgia talking, the older episodes were clearly better. But it's not THAT bad, even the worst episodes will have something worthwhile in them

quote:
it cut away to a new animation style like something out of a children's book (Where the Wild Things Are comes straight to mind) was pretty cool.

That animation alone was pretty damn good.