How does she do it?

Capt. Quekolis 01-07-2007 09:25 PM
How would Dorothy keep "running"? does she have a battery or what? And when she sleeps does she shut down or does she just act like shes sleeping?
Chitter-Box-Kat 01-07-2007 10:07 PM
Okay, that's a good question.

I think she's one of those recharge-at-night types. It would be kinda practical considering Roger's sleep habits.
Nine Kuze 01-08-2007 06:00 AM
If I remember correctly, the series unfortunatly never showed that aspect of the androids functions.

Although what was shown, Dorothy never slept even at night.
Peace.
Capt. Quekolis 01-08-2007 06:20 PM
When did it show that?
paul1290 01-08-2007 06:45 PM
I made a thread about this a year or two ago. Some of the forum members (including myself) had a good in depth discussion about what Dorothy's power supply might be.

You can find it in this old thread.

However, like Nine just mentioned, there's not enough evidence to draw any good conclusions.

quote:
posted by paul1290 back in 2005:

Dorothy’s Power supply

I have no idea how this works. I really don’t have any theories on this one. I can’t really find any point in the series where Dorothy takes in anything that can be used as fuel or a power source. I tried to come up with theories for this but I ended up having to resort to so much guesswork that I couldn’t draw any definite conclusions. There is simply not enough evidence to support any theories that I come up with. Instead, I’ll just make a list of facts that I have determined and maybe you can come up with your own explanation.

The following facts I have determined to be certain:
1. The power supply runs silently.
2. It operates without giving off much heat.
3. It has to be rather small because Dorothy is rather thin.
4. It can operate constantly for several days without recharge or refuel.
5. It operates without oxygen.
6. It can operate even when subjected to sudden movements.
7. It can survive being stuck to a powerful magnet.

These facts not completely certain but are probably true:
1. It requires little or no maintenance.
2. It probably stores energy by chemical or nuclear means.
3. It uses a fuel that is easy to get.
4. Since it generates very little sound, it probably has very few moving parts.
5. It produces little or no waste or exhaust. Any exhaust products are completely harmless. (That means no burning anything because it can’t give off carbon monoxide.)
6. It is highly efficient and can go very far on a small amount of fuel.
7. It cannot depend too much on rechargeable power cells because they simply can’t store enough energy in a small enough space. However, rechargeable power cells may still be used as backups or to assist the main power supply.

You can use the information listed here in order to draw your own conclusions.
Larry99 01-08-2007 06:48 PM
We will never know. The series never says.
evanASF27 01-08-2007 07:31 PM
Well we *do* know Big O runs on 1 AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA battery.

As for Dorothy....maybe a couple of D cells.
Nine Kuze 01-08-2007 08:13 PM
Although ol' boy Paul already mention it before and gave some good evidence that it probably wouldn't be efficient enough to power Dorothy, in Act 18 (Eyewitness) Dorothy did go to shop for oil for herself like many other androids did during that time in Paradigm City.

Maybe they found a way to use fuel and not to have it create any type of exhaust as it usually would like Paul mentioned. They do after all, have superior and vast technology that they don't fully understand at their disposal. But that's just drawing up conclusions on faulty assumptions. Just wanted to throw that out there though.
Peace.
SEELE 08 01-08-2007 10:08 PM
She also uses oil, but I think it serves purely as a lubricant for her joints.
evanASF27 01-08-2007 10:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SEELE 08

This is what I was just about to post. I think oil itself wouldn't be too good for an android's power source. They MUST require batteries of some sort. Converting oil to electricity is too long a process to be housed inside a "human" body (at least on the scale needed for motors like that).

Some sort of battery or maybe even nuclear power(?) could be our culprit.
Pygmalion 01-09-2007 01:04 PM
We've had a couple discussions on this topic, which you might find of interest:

One AAAAAAAAAAAA Battery
What Do Androids Run On?

Pygmalion
Capt. Quekolis 01-09-2007 05:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SEELE 08

Haha Dorothy needs lube.lol It is something that would be interesting to know.
Me2sleepy 01-11-2007 10:30 AM
!?!? Spoiler !?!? <- Do I need to type that here?

I don't think internal batteries or a power source is a problem or a necessity, since she can seem to operate in any condition, like even without her memory core. I like to think that it’s an external source that keeps them going, like from that computer that the "Director" sits in front of. Since no one in Paradigm truly understand their design, and the city seem to be able to reset itself where people can be either human, robot, cyborg, memory, etc., it seems like it doesn't matter.

P.S. And don't forget, who is to say that Dorothy is really a robot? Maybe she was a human that was turn into something that's believe to be robot when she "tick off" a certain Director...oh let's say for stealing her boy toy, ahem. Maybe the Director doesn't have the right to eliminate her competitor completely from the stage, so the Director instead change Dorothy's role into something that can give her an advantage...hehe, like making Dorothy into cold hard metal with no feelings...

P.P.S I don't think that work.

Jealousy can be an evil thing...
Capt. Quekolis 01-12-2007 01:53 PM
But sometimes when she moves around you can hear the gears and such moving.
evanASF27 01-12-2007 02:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Me2sleepy
P.S. And don't forget, who is to say that Dorothy is really a robot? Maybe she was a human that was turn into something that's believe to be robot when she "tick off" a certain Director...oh let's say for stealing her boy toy, ahem. Maybe the Director doesn't have the right to eliminate her competitor completely from the stage, so the Director instead change Dorothy's role into something that can give her an advantage...hehe, like making Dorothy into cold hard metal with no feelings...

Well it's a fact that she's an android. The writers say so, at any rate.

Otherwise this would be a big headache if she weren't made of wires...

Pygmalion 01-12-2007 02:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ltwhipporwill

I believe that is something she does to emphasize her "robotness." Notice that she did it more when she first lived at Smith Mansion, yet didn't when in other peoples' homes, such as with Oliver the sax player and his girlfriend Laura in "Daemonseed." Laura didn't realize that Dorothy was an android until Dorothy came back alone.

Pygmalion
Nine Kuze 01-12-2007 03:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pygmalion
quote:
Originally posted by Ltwhipporwill

I believe that is something she does to emphasize her "robotness." Notice that she did it more when she first lived at Smith Mansion, yet didn't when in other peoples' homes, such as with Oliver the sax player and his girlfriend Laura in "Daemonseed." Laura didn't realize that Dorothy was an android until Dorothy came back alone.

Pygmalion

What Auntie said. I think the "whirring" noises and sounds she made were entirely voluntarily on her part. In some episodes, and even in different scenes within the same episode, you could hear the noise and than at other times the noise would be absent.
Peace.
Nazrael 01-12-2007 06:16 PM
Androids probably have something similar to the Megadei's fuel source. Whatever that is.
Shadow dorothy 01-15-2007 09:42 PM
Ok, call me crazy but maybe she just eats something every now and then and turns it all into a power source.
Darthpez001 01-15-2007 10:30 PM
Well the battery (if there is one) can't run on sunlight since it's always cloudy. It could run from the artificial light but Dorothy would have to absorb a lot of it, I'd think. There's always the potato theory some have come up with since Norman was seen peeling massive amounts of potatoes.

But maybe Dorothy runs on memories. Big Fau wouldn't operate without Dorothy's core memory after all, and a lack of Shwartzwald's memories might have helped to let Big Duo know when to stop fighting.