Children of Men

Generalissimo D 01-07-2007 12:10 AM
This movie is quite probably the most refreshing thing I've seen in a long time.

Also, that one continous shot during the shootout with blood splattered on the camera wowed me.
Nine Kuze 01-07-2007 12:18 AM
Haven't seen it yet, but I've heard a lot of good things from it. From the acting from Clive Owen and Julianne Moore, to the direction of Alfonso Cuarón, to the cinematography which has stunning vision and perspective.

I'd like to see it, and here's a review on it as well.
Peace.
Generalissimo D 01-07-2007 12:26 AM
quote:
...Julianne Moore...

lol
Big Money 01-07-2007 12:29 AM
It was alright. Kinda thin on plot if you ask me, but maybe I've just reached my quota for violence, what with Apocolypto and The Departed.

spoiler (highlight to read):
I sure hope they got that asshole who shot the rocket and ruined the moment. What a toolbox.
evanASF27 01-07-2007 12:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D
This movie is quite probably the most refreshing thing I've seen in a long time.

Also, that one continous shot during the shootout with blood splattered on the camera wowed me.

Okay I have to say, I am really looking forward to seeing how this movie turns out. They compared it to Blade Runner, nobody compares ANYTHING to Blade Runner anymore..... so there has to be something good to it's credibility.

I like the actual plot premise of the movie...similar to an episode of Stargate SG1 I saw. Certainly has a lot of potential...let's see how they've used it.
Nine Kuze 01-07-2007 12:31 AM
quote:
quote:
...Julianne Moore...

lol

What's so lol, D?
Peace.
Green_Bird 01-07-2007 01:07 AM
From watching the commercials this movie actually looks like a really good one. Not like the trash that has recently been coming out. But I guess I'll have to wait to see it when ever it comes out on DVD since we don't have the money to go see it right now. Not to mention my mom hasn't really shown interest in it.
seraphjei 01-07-2007 04:24 AM
This was a great movie. But don't trust the commercial, Blade Runner for the 21st century it is not. It's a terrific movie in its own right, be sure to watch it in theaters if you have the chance.
Generalissimo D 01-07-2007 11:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
quote:
...Julianne Moore...

lol

What's so lol, D?
Peace.

Watch the movie. In a theater.

quote:
Okay I have to say, I am really looking forward to seeing how this movie turns out. They compared it to Blade Runner, nobody compares ANYTHING to Blade Runner anymore..... so there has to be something good to it's credibility.

I like the actual plot premise of the movie...similar to an episode of Stargate SG1 I saw. Certainly has a lot of potential...let's see how they've used it.

The novel was written in liek 1992.

And this upshows Blade Runner in my opinion.
Hollow XXVI 01-10-2007 05:42 PM
Upshow, is that even a word?

And well, if people are saying it's better than Blade Runner, it must be crap
Nine Kuze 01-14-2007 04:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
quote:
...Julianne Moore...

lol

What's so lol, D?
Peace.

I see what you did there.
spoiler (highlight to read):
Didn't think they would kill ol' girl off so easily but that scene was actually pulled off very well. And the twist later on telling how her own crew killed her off was a damn nice touch as well.

Anyway, I saw this film with a couple of friends of mine yesterday at midnight and it was pretty good. I read before that the cinematography was good but some of the shots were damn good after actually seeing it (i.e. the shot where Jasper is talking about Theo's family with Theo listening in on the left of the screen and the ending).

quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
It was alright. Kinda thin on plot if you ask me, but maybe I've just reached my quota for violence, what with Apocolypto and The Departed.

Nah, you're right Money. It was a little thin on the notion of the plot and they never really went into depth (or an actual explantion really) on the Human Project and all that.

quote:

One word. Yes. Also the beginning and the ending of the movie was really something else as well.

Michael Caine showed off a fun performance as well. "Pull my finger."
Peace.
Generalissimo D 01-14-2007 05:00 PM
I personally like how they had enough to let you know what was going on without actually saying what was really going on.
Nine Kuze 01-14-2007 05:24 PM
True. I also think as far as imagining the future in Britian that is bleak, hopeless and war torn, I think this film is the best I've seen (better than V for Vendetta and hell, A Clockwork Orange as well).
Peace.
Generalissimo D 02-25-2007 07:28 PM
This is winning the Oscar for cinematography.
Sharpshooter005 02-25-2007 07:47 PM
Speaking of the oscars, I sincerely hope nobody is watching them because I am and uhhh....they went from jon stewart hosting to ellen degeneres?
"OH GOD THE LAST ONE OF THESE ACTUALLY WASN'T INSIPID, QUICK GET ME THE HACK FROM THE AMEX COMMERCIALS". I expected her to be unfunny but this schtick is painfully bad, painfully.

edit: Also if Scorsese wins I hope he takes the oscar and just beats the nearest person to death with it, while yelling "whos snubbing who now academy?"
Generalissimo D 02-25-2007 09:17 PM
ARGH MOTHER!@!@%!$@.

Pan's Labrynith won.
Sharpshooter005 02-25-2007 09:25 PM
I heard CoM was good...I've heard it non-stop for a while now.

I may have jinxed it, since when I hear about something RELENTLESSLY I'm sort of okay with it failing

edit: A snakes on a plane joke? Good GOD..If this woman hadn't yelled how she was a lesbian her career would be dead in the cold cold ground like it should be. What the hell, really.

(This is apparently the impromptu emmy discussion thread)

Ennio f***ING Morricone, hell yes. Giving his speech in italian because he's Ennio Morricone and he yields to no man or agency on the face of this earth because he's awesome.

SCORSESE FINALLY GETS AN OSCAR. THE MADNESS IS OVER.
Nine Kuze 02-25-2007 11:49 PM
quote:
This is winning the Oscar for cinematography.

quote:
ARGH MOTHER!@!@%!$@.

Pan's Labrynith won.

It should have, and I was pissed that it didn't although Pan winning ain't too bad though. It sucks that Children went 0-3 overall though.

Really, if this film came out in 2000, 2001 or 2002, it would have swept the Oscars easily.
Peace.
Generalissimo D 02-26-2007 06:32 AM
I haven't seen Pan, but good lord it at least deserved editing.

The Departed was a good movie, but CoM easily trumped it in that respect.
Nine Kuze 02-27-2007 01:05 PM
quote:
I haven't seen Pan, but good lord it at least deserved editing.

The Departed was a good movie, but CoM easily trumped it in that respect.

Well that's true, but the thing is what screwed Children of Men was the time it was released. That's why I said before if it came out any other year recently (except 2003 and 2004) it would have swept the Oscars easily. In earlier years, the Oscars used to come on much later than it does now, like around March or early April. But now its coming around on February and with the studios obsessed with releasing their best films until late December (for that Oscars push), films like this are going to get screwed hard as a result.
Peace.