Anime

Larry99 01-06-2007 09:00 PM
I am big into Big O. I have watched Gundam and Outlaw Star. What other anime should I be watching?
Asirt 01-06-2007 10:28 PM
I'm not sure, but you'll most likely get more responses if you post in the correct subforum, the Ailesberry Farm, where there are tons of information on the greatest anime series.

-----------------------

Here's my take:

I honestly think that it depends on what the person likes. Not only that, but they must be able to relate to the storyline or the characters well in order to enjoy the series. Here's a few recommendations that I can think of.

For the person that likes romance shows, I would check out His and Her Circumstances and The World of Narue. Both shows have characters that I can relate to, and also makes a great romance story.

For the person that likes giant robots, The Big O, the Gundam series (any one will do), and Neon Genesis Evangelion are ones to consider. They have a great story along with interesting characters. However, Neon Genesis Evangelion requires you to have an open mind, so be aware of that when watching that series. If you enjoyed that series, I would also check out The End of Evangelion, a rather disturbing conclusion to the series.

For the person that enjoys seeing a bunch of girls with one guy, check out Tenchi Muyo! and Sister Princess. I've enjoyed these harem series because of how the different characters are all able to love one person. Sadly, this doesn't happen in real life, but it's nice to dream, right?

For the person that enjoys thinking beyond the box, Serial Experiments Lain is an excellent series to watch. It is a bit techincal in some moments, but you'll still be able to wonder about a lot of things, even after watching it a number of times.

For the person that enjoys sad stories, I can't think of another series other than AIR. It's quite an excellent series that has great characters, and a great story. It's only available in fansub format right now, so you can see it right away.

For the person that enjoys school life, Azumanga Daioh, Super GALS!, and Cromartie High School are great to watch. Not only do they relate to school life, but also manages to have great comedy at the same time.
The Baker St. Irregular 01-06-2007 11:25 PM
That's a really difficult question, and it's really all up to personal taste. However, I always have some shows I love to tout whenever neccessary.

Gankutsuou - This anime, based on the classic novel The Count of Monte Cristo, is a highly sophisticated and intense drama that is a work of art in its own right. Expertly written and directed, few anime series can come close this one.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Its cop show style is much easier to warm up to than the movies, but has all the Ghost philosophies on man and the machine. It is multi-layered and extremely intelligent, but also action-filled and engaging.

One Piece (Japanese) - At nearly 300 episodes, this series is a hefty investment, but completely worth it. It's good, goofy slap-stick fun all the way through. The Japanese voice cast is one of the best I've ever heard. (Inquiries about where to find sources of Japanese One Piece can be directed to me via private messages or email only.)
Mr. Saturn 01-06-2007 11:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise
One Piece (Japanese) - At nearly 300 episodes, this series is a hefty investment, but completely worth it. It's good, goofy slap-stick fun all the way through. The Japanese voice cast is one of the best I've ever heard. (Inquiries about where to find sources of Japanese One Piece can be directed to me via private messages or email only.)

SECONDED
The Baker St. Irregular 01-06-2007 11:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Saturn
quote:
Originally posted by Mistress-Samwise

SECONDED

*a la Borat* High five!
Green_Bird 01-07-2007 02:13 AM
If you dove deep into the archives you would have come up with some good suggestions...even some from our older members who rarely or don't post here Wink . The following posts may be a little out of date...but they still will give you some ideas of what to check out next.

Anime Recommendations Posted by Cecil XIX

Any recommended Manga/Anime?? Posted by StevieV019

I need your help -- best animes Posted by A. Rosewater

Anime/Manga Collecting Recommendations Posted by StewieGriffin

Also Cowboy Bebop and Trigun would be your best bets if you liked those anime. I'll post some of my other recommendations later ^_^ ...
Larry99 01-07-2007 10:18 AM
Thanks
evanASF27 01-07-2007 06:26 PM
Trigun is action-packed with a good lot of comedy, and towards the end it gets more and more serious and awesome. It's a good series! Pleased

Full Metal Alchemist also has lots of action, a deep storyline, heroics, a fair amount of comedy. It's swept America by storm and unlike Inuyasha, has done so for a good reason! Sweatdrop Big Grin

And if you're into all out wild antics, insanity, and the occassional sexual innuendo: Fooly Cooly (FLCL).
Chitter-Box-Kat 01-07-2007 07:04 PM
YOSH!! Big Grin

FLCL is always good for a spin. I recommend not watching all six episodes in a row though. The content and lack of obvious sanity in the series will melt your brain if viewed in succesion. (Though that wouldn't stop me from wanting to try.) Embarrassed Sweatdrop
Seihou 01-07-2007 07:32 PM
For an action anime, I recommend watching Akira. It's pretty much the movie that made anime popular in America for the second time. Be warned that it's full of gore though.

For romance anime, I'd suggest watching the Tenchi Muyo! OVA. It set the benchmark for other titles like Love Hina and such (which I also suggest watching).

And finally, for comedy, you should watch Cromartie High School or, as many others before me have said, FLCL (Fooly Cooly).
Green_Bird 01-07-2007 07:33 PM
If you happen to like FLCL after you watch it then I recommend more weird-breaking-the-fourth-wall related anime like Gintama, Sgt. Frog, Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, and Milk-Chan.

Sgt. Frog (Keroro Gunso) has it's manga out, but the anime isn't out until February or March. Bo-bobo, Gintama, and Milk-Chan however need acquired tastes. If you don't like randomness with innuendo, crack filled jokes and semi-adult humor or total adult humor in the case of Milk-chan, do not watch those three.
Tickle Tickle 01-07-2007 07:53 PM
Try to watch something made before the 90's. Wink
Larry99 01-08-2007 06:39 PM
I have watched Bobobo but I think the voice overs had nothing to do with the real story.
Green_Bird 01-10-2007 03:34 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Larry99
I have watched Bobobo but I think the voice overs had nothing to do with the real story.

You might think that...but you would actually be surprised. The Japanese version is just as cracky if not more. I mean sure...the TV run was edited a lot and the dub script changed a few things to hide the Japanese cultural references but it's still one big parody either way.
evanASF27 01-10-2007 11:05 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Extra zero-8
For an action anime, I recommend watching Akira. It's pretty much the movie that made anime popular in America for the second time. Be warned that it's full of gore though.

Oh HELL no. That thing will give you nightmares...seriously. It's that disturbing.

It's a masterpiece as cell-drawn anime go, one of the top produced anime movies of all time. But seriously, it got disturbing as hell reeaalll fast.

Do not take the warnings lightly, young grasshopper.