Sad...very...augh

evanASF27 01-05-2007 03:28 PM
The general title says it all....if you were to not ask "why" exactly it is I am sad.

Over the past 4 months (since Sept. I reckon) my computer's been going downhill. Both my CD drives have ceased working correctly and it's been blue-screening upon shuttingdown every other-other time. I put complete blaim on the crappy software my college forced me to put onto my computer (their cheap version of MacAfee anti-virus). This cheap anti-virus program of their's is necessary if I want access to the internet while in the dorm. The great thing however (NOTE SARCASM PLEASE) is that it never autoupdated and the I.T. Dept. only suggested "contact Dell".

Well yesterday after backing up nearly everything I reasonably could on my computer (except for, unfortunately, my "Favorites"...although 80% I haven't looked at in the past 2 years) I took my computer to the guys at the local Geek Squad... and it's not good at all.

My OS is most likely going to have to be reinstalled Crying

I have to reinstall all my programs (except for my Ruby CD Ripper since I can't remember where I got that from) and re-create all of my Favorites. And it's all thanks to that stupid godaweful program they had me install.
Hobodoken 01-05-2007 05:13 PM
It's entirely probable that it's not the anti-virus.

When you installed it, did you uninstall any other anti-virus you had previously? Did you go through all the settings allowing only what you knew needed to be allowed?

Just saying... >_>
evanASF27 01-05-2007 05:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken
It's entirely probable that it's not the anti-virus.

When you installed it, did you uninstall any other anti-virus you had previously? Did you go through all the settings allowing only what you knew needed to be allowed?

Just saying... >_>

They deleted the already paid-for full-version of MacAfee Antivirus which I've used since day 1 on this computer with no problems..... and installed their sh*t.
Hobodoken 01-05-2007 05:28 PM
Well that's just stupid.

You should have simply reinstalled MacAfee. Any retail anti-virus software shouldn't have a problem with being run concurrently with another.
evanASF27 01-05-2007 05:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken
Well that's just stupid.

You should have simply reinstalled MacAfee. Any retail anti-virus software shouldn't have a problem with being run concurrently with another.

'cept we didn't "install" MacAfee.. it had come with the computer and all. So we didn't have the discs and such. Plus we didn't know how utterly BAD this sh*t was going to be.

Hell we even asked them if they could leave the already-intalled MacAfee on there, and they said "No" (which I didn't believe for a second). And since: me + no free $$$ = not buying Anit-V ..... yah, there ya go. It's only when there's a problem that someone actually does something about it...WHICH I HATE!!!!1
paul1290 01-05-2007 08:43 PM
It would be a good idea to keep another anti-virus handy.

Or if you can't install another anti-virus, you could try a number of other things. You should download at least two anti-spyware programs (like Ad-Aware and Spybot) and scan your computer every few days or so. Most of the bad stuff that tries to get into your computer these days is some form of spyware or adware, so that should protect your computer from most of the stuff that tries to get in. Getting another firewall to help protect your computer from stuff before it gets in would also be a good idea.

Perhaps you could get a U3 compatible flash drive and get an anti-virus that can run from the flash drive and use that to scan your computer every once in a while. It won't be good as a full version of MacAfee, but at least it would be something.
Zayne 01-05-2007 09:19 PM
Man, that reeks. I know how it feels, but I guess I have it easier, thanks to *gasp!* the government. Government owned computer.
Krang 01-05-2007 09:32 PM
If you hard drive has enough free space left (and if you have partitioning software such as Partition Magic available), you could always repartition it so that the new OS is on the first partition and your current OS is on the second one. That way, you could still access files on the old OS for as long as you need, and with a small modification to boot.ini, you could still boot into it if necessary.
Dude Love 01-06-2007 12:10 AM
I'm assuming by "favorites" you mean your bookmarks for your web browsers. Most browsers have an export/import bookmarks option, so if you still have access to the system, you can export the bookmarks and copy the file to wherever you backed everything else up.

Most computers start to go down hill eventually after running them for a long time. The clean install should fix that.

Then again, I've always been a proponent of wiping systems. I like the cleanliness.
evanASF27 01-06-2007 12:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dude Love
I'm assuming by "favorites" you mean your bookmarks for your web browsers. Most browsers have an export/import bookmarks option, so if you still have access to the system, you can export the bookmarks and copy the file to wherever you backed everything else up.

yah 'cept I didn't know that, and the computer is already in the shop (Best Buy to be exact...since that's where Geek Squad is)

I have all my AOL Favorites saved on AOL (those ain't goin anywhere). But all the Internet Explorer bookmarks are toast.

quote:
Originally posted by Krang
If you hard drive has enough free space left (and if you have partitioning software such as Partition Magic available), you could always repartition it so that the new OS is on the first partition and your current OS is on the second one. That way, you could still access files on the old OS for as long as you need, and with a small modification to boot.ini, you could still boot into it if necessary.

That's good to know...except like I've said before, the computer's already been sent to the shop. I dunno how possible it is to call them up and say "stop! Try this first!" or whatever...

So yah, I don't really know what could save my programs and all that. I'm having to beat all the people I know with Macs away with a stick because they won't shut up Tongue (I counter them with a "HAHA BUY LINUX!!" and they seem to quiet down, lol!! Laughing )
NVWC2006 01-06-2007 06:08 PM
In addition to everything that everyone has already said...

i have a job as an IT Tech guy at my college. We require all students accessing the internet to have AV and if they don't have one already, we offer a version of McAffee AV for $5 (probably the same cheap one as you, it's called VirusScan Enterprise).

One thing we're told though, is that certain Dell computers don't work with it at all. Some students install the McAffee and instantly have OS problems. We were working on one computer that would get a BSOD every time we booted, even when we tried running in Safe Mode... in the end, we had to boot into MS-DOS mode, delete the McAffee files, get Windows running again, and then reinstall the AV, but this time used a patch we had for using McAffee with this troublesome computers.

Newer versions of the VirusScan Enterprise are supposed to have corrected this problem, but old ones from a few months/(years?) ago still had the problem. There may be the patch online for you to download... I'm not sure, though, because I know it's one of the files we're not allowed to distribute, so it may be licensed (or it could be our department head being picky).

Also, I would put your college's IT department in the blame. While I understand a group stating they won't handle OS problems and telling you to contact Dell instead, they should still do SOMETHING since they CAUSED the problem.

since you've already sent it to Best Buy, you may be in the clear. some Geek Squads have excellent technicians, others don't know the difference between a CD and DVD.

and feel no fear shooing away the Mac users, for 95% of the Mac users I know have NO CLUE what to do on the occasion they DO freeze or have problems.. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEAGmBRC1dc for the humorous truth of someone experienced with this.
Dude Love 01-07-2007 12:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by NVWC2006
and feel no fear shooing away the Mac users, for 95% of the Mac users I know have NO CLUE what to do on the occasion they DO freeze or have problems.. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEAGmBRC1dc for the humorous truth of someone experienced with this.

I can attest that that is very true, but that's because Cmd+Opt+Esc is not as ingrained in everyone's mind as Ctrl+Alt+Del Tongue
evanASF27 01-07-2007 12:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dude Love
quote:
Originally posted by NVWC2006

I can attest that that is very true, but that's because Cmd+Opt+Esc is not as ingrained in everyone's mind as Ctrl+Alt+Del Tongue

Every time I watch that video... I end up suffocating in laughter at the "YOU IDIOT! You own a Macintosh! The file is @#$%ing gone!!!"